Submit Your
Comedy
List
The deadline for the Top Comedies of All Time list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

American Beauty

→ in
Tools    





I just want to know if this movie is good. I'm only 14, but the ONLY movies I'm not allowed to watch are Pulp Fiction and American Beauty. I have been able to watch ANY movie i wanted except for these two. My sister has convinced my mom that these are trash, yet they are both highly acclaimed. So, tell me about it. Like I said, I used the search function, but I didn't find a thread about this.
__________________
Remember, remember, the 5th of November
I'm afraid I must bid you adieu.
He woke up one night with a terrible fright
And found he was eating his shoe.



i didnt find american beauty that good, infact i found it really strange. It is basically about a man (kevin spacey) who tries to turn his life around, but he also manages to turn everyone else's lives around at the same time.
it has got a sexual aspect to it but kevin spacey has been made to play a really strange character and he likes this girl that is so much younger than himself (mena suvari).
it also has a lot of swearing in it which kinda puts me off a bit.
hope this helps a bit
cazz
x



Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
I just want to know if this movie is good. I'm only 14, but the ONLY movies I'm not allowed to watch are Pulp Fiction and American Beauty. I have been able to watch ANY movie i wanted except for these two. My sister has convinced my mom that these are trash, yet they are both highly acclaimed. So, tell me about it. Like I said, I used the search function, but I didn't find a thread about this.
Ewww. Somebody should bitchslap your sister to the moon. NO! Take her even farther than the moon.

I love those movies. I'm guessing your sister doesn't like the middle aged man/teenage girl sexual relationship of American Beauty, as well as the homosexuality - which probably means she dislikes homosexuals.

TRASH? That's such a strong word. I imagine your sister and your mom doing dishes together - sister says "That American Beauty is TRASH! And so is that Pulp Fiction. Don't let little led zeppelin watch them later. That one has two guys KISSSSS-ING. And there's a gay rape scene in the Pulp Fiction. Lots of DRUGS too. TRASH TRASH TRASH!"

And then she does a trash dance and stays out all night with the neighborhood jamboree, shaking her hips in a long skirt.



Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
TRASH? That's such a strong word. I imagine your sister and your mom doing dishes together - sister says "That American Beauty is TRASH! And so is that Pulp Fiction. Don't let little led zeppelin watch them later. That one has two guys KISSSSS-ING. And there's a gay rape scene in the Pulp Fiction. Lots of DRUGS too. TRASH TRASH TRASH!"

And then she does a trash dance and stays out all night with the neighborhood jamboree, shaking her hips in a long skirt.
lol, good stuff.

Both American Beauty and Pulp Fiction are in my top 10 films, along with a lot of other people, I would just watch them and make your own decision, but, the whole age thing might thwart any attempt you make to watch them...



Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Ewww. Somebody should bitchslap your sister to the moon. NO! Take her even farther than the moon.

I love those movies. I'm guessing your sister doesn't like the middle aged man/teenage girl sexual relationship of American Beauty, as well as the homosexuality - which probably means she dislikes homosexuals.

TRASH? That's such a strong word. I imagine your sister and your mom doing dishes together - sister says "That American Beauty is TRASH! And so is that Pulp Fiction. Don't let little led zeppelin watch them later. That one has two guys KISSSSS-ING. And there's a gay rape scene in the Pulp Fiction. Lots of DRUGS too. TRASH TRASH TRASH!"

And then she does a trash dance and stays out all night with the neighborhood jamboree, shaking her hips in a long skirt.
Actually, she does not have anything against homosexuals, but if she doesn't like the movie, that I can't watch it cuz she corrupts my mom. Although I have seen Deliverance so the rape is nothing I haven't already see.



You're not allowed to watch Pulp Fiction?! Man, that sucks.

Oh well.



There isn't anything worse in American Beauty than there is in American Pie.
__________________
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."



Only for the weak
Yeah, and in American Beauty it is done with taste. Pulp Fiction and American Beauty are far and beyond 2 of my favorite movies ever...
__________________
Early morning moments, a glimpse of joy. But soon it's over and I return to dust. As I try to be, everything everyone. I shrivel up and, waste away.



Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
There isn't anything worse in American Beauty than there is in American Pie.

Yeah, but mom doesn't care if I watch American Pie. Wierd huh?



Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Yeah, but mom doesn't care if I watch American Pie. Wierd huh?
Ask her to watch it with you.



Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Ask her to watch it with you.
That could work out well. But, it could also go wrong. It just depends on the person.



A system of cells interlinked
When this first came out, I saw a commercial for the film and wrote it off as a cheesey teen film. My girlfriend a couple of our friends dragged me to it and I was blown away. I think everyone should watch this film from time to time to remember a couple of the points this film makes. Like one of my fav lines in the movie....

"This is not life, this is stuff!!!"

We all came out of American Beauty a little better off I think, and I believe many could get the same from this film.


Watch it, screw what Mom says....

(Do kids rebel any more these days?)



I could understand not letting you watch these movies, however, to let you watch others that are far worse, in terms of sex, violence, etc... and not let you see these must mean they either touched a personal nerve somewhere, or she has no idea what she is talking about. Not trying to say bad things about your mom , but get real. Also if your sister is out watching "trash" maybe she should not go to any R rated movies.
__________________
“The gladdest moment in human life, methinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton



Originally Posted by Sedai
(Do kids rebel any more these days?)
What a pathetic world it would be if they didn't.



Originally Posted by 7thson
If your sister is out watching "trash" maybe she should not go to any R rated movies.
Exactly what I said! She just ignored me. What a b**** (my sister, not my mom. My mom kicks butt for letting me watch some of the movies I did. Like, From Dusk till' Dawn.)



Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Sedai
"This is not life, this is stuff!!!"

We all came out of American Beauty a little better off I think, and I believe many could get the same from this film.
Thats a very good point that ive always suggested as well. American Beauty Is easily in my top 3 films. Its a funny, beautiful, philosophical and heart breaking tale of a sad man who just wants to be happy again. and in doing so he finds out so many things. Really makes me happy watching this film, i think i could go as far to say it changed my life, well at least my outlook on life. Its got so many points i think each and every one of us should consider.

"Sometimes i feel theres just so much beauty in the world, my heart will explode."

The actings excellant. The film looks excellant. And it definatly made me feel excellant.....hope it does you too
__________________
Pumpkins scream in the DEAD of night!



I'VE SEEN PULP FICTION AND AMERICAN BEAUTY! Only mom doesn't know that. American Beauty is a great movie. I bust out laughing when ever that real-estate guy is screwing Annete Benning or whatever, and says (or yells) "Do you like getting nailed by the king?!" What a stupid thing to say in bed! Anyway, Pulp Fiction is a great movie, but I still like Reservoir Dogs better. Best part in the movie is when Phil Lammar dies in the back of the car. WOA! Didn't see that coming! Bruce Willis w/ a samuri sword is awesome too. But that whole scene was a big rip-off (or homage) to Deliverance in my opinion.



American Beauty was excellent.



This has got to be one of the most powerful films i've ever seen. It's blend of comedy and drama is just brilliant and Kevin Spacey gives one of the best performances i've ever seen. Nothing I can say about it that hasn't already been said but sometimes there's just so much beauty in the world. What did you guys think of it.



I don't understand when parents don't allow their children to watch violent/strong language/minimal sexual content films.Like a film will make their child more violent or disturbing.These things depend on nurturing.