MoFo Fantasy Football 2014 - The Playoffs

Tools    

Okay, so, playoffs.

Playoffs.

The Byes

Me and WBadger sit this week out. Only meaningful in that we get a mulligan if we happen to have a bad week, really, but it's something. We have playoff reseeding, so the only team I can't face next week is Sleezy's Wyld Stallyns, and the only team Badger can't face is raul's Lord of the Rings. Either of us could potentially face TONGO or LT, though.

PlasticPads&IronMen (8-5, TONGO) vs. The Wolverines (8-5, LTIZZY)

Identical records, near-identical point totals, and roughly even projections this week. TONGO's been a bit better lately, though, and I think he's got one or two fewer questionable players in his lineup than LT.

Wyld Stallyns (9-4, Sleezy) vs. Lord of the Rings (7-6, rauldc14)

These two just played each other in the season's final week, and now have an immedate rematch.

Sleezy's team has a substantial edge in points, and has been particularly strong lately, with nearly 300 points in the final two weeks. A huge part of that has been C.J. Anderson, who's become a #1 RB basically out of nowhere. We see guys like this every other year, who emerge late in the year and swing a lot of leagues.

The only weakness here is that with Manning, Sanders, and Anderson, there's usually going to be a ceiling on what the team can produce unless the Broncos really go off. But it means there's usually a floor, too. Gotta go with Sleezy's team here, especially given the disparity at QB, but an upset is definitely possible. Most likely causes would be Kaep or Newton coming through, and the Broncos just having a bad game as a team, which is always a risk with a lineup like this.

Predictions

TONGO and Sleezy win, which would setup Me-TONGO and Sleezy-Badger matchups next week in the semifinals.

I wish I was so confident. Steve Smiths tanking hard, Martavis Bryants tanking hard, Sammy Watkins is hurt AGAIN, and Pierre Thomas hasnt done a dayum thing past 2 weeks. Tongo scared

Yeah, definitely plenty of iffiness there. But she's got plenty of her own, too, and I think her "solid" guys are a bit less solid than yours. But it really could go either way.

In the Beginning...
Interesting note: rauldc14 and I just squared off this past weekend, and here we are matched up again. History hasn't always been on the winner's side in a rematch, but hopefully I'll keep rolling.

Buffalo frightens me a little bit, though Tom Brady put up nearly 40 points on them and Denver is thankfully at home. My biggest worry is Josh Gordon. Waiting him out all season was a risk, but with Pierre Garcon I figured Gordon would be a great FLEX play if he hit. I didn't think I'd be relying on him as a WR2. Come on, JFF...

lol! I just realized Im trying to figure a way to beat Lisas Wolvies, and sweating it. What chance then do I have against the Yodanaught? oy

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, gonna be tough to get by Chris this year, for sure. LT doesn't have much confidence in her team after Reed bounced back, leaving her stuck with Davis at TE. You never know though!

Super cool thing about this year's playoff teams: they're also the six-highest scoring teams and the seeding perfectly reflects their scoring rank.

Lisas Wolverines got 30.54 out of Jay Cutler and 33.30 out of DeMarco Murray. that's like half of my total score from last week. This isnt fear Im feeling, its excitement, right?

What did I say about this girl? Golden Horseshoe! Are those the biggest totals for those two players this season? I think they might be...unsure on Murray though...he may have scored that highly earlier this season.

I haven't seen anything like it in fantasy before. Look at her team!!! Cutler?? no TE?? And yet...she wins...

Meanwhile, my collection of sad sacks have finally started scoring at just the WRONG time, as usual.

It looks worse than it is because Cutler's a significantly better fantasy QB than an actual one. He's actually been above-average for a league this size.

But yeah, you can chalk up a huge amount of her success to Murray, particularly in a year where stud RBs have largely disappointed.

With that start its possible she could put up a total thats impossible to overcome. Its kind of a painless way to lose. Hm, gotta try though. Stedman Bailey and Greg Jennings seem like safe calls compared to Watkins or Steve Smith, but I may have to pick the players with biggest upside regardless how bad theyve been doing lately.

Well todays the day! Im benching Steve Smith, Sammy Watkins (too hurt), Pierre Thomas, and Martavis Bryant to go with the trio of Stedman Bailey, Greg Jennings, and Doug Martin. Only choice Im unsure of is benching Thomas for Martin, but an expert suggested it. I know Pierre can explode with a 20+ fpp game out of nowhere, and Martins @ Det. I may put Pierre back in there......

Yeah I'd be wary of Martin. I'd probably be starting the usual guys there, too, if only because you probably need upside. Overthinking things is a far more common problem than under thinking them. Some tough decisions there, though.

Scary thing about Smith is he's just getting outplayed. What's scarier is I just may go Martin over Thomas because Pierre only played 25% of the snaps last week.

Even though Smith, Watkins, Bryant, and Thomas have been horrible it still feels terrifying putting waiver folks in place of starters youve had. Yes Im saying that.

Once the 1:00 and 4:00 games are done my hope is the score isnt something Brady to Gronk on Sunday night can't handle.

I'd probably roll with Smith and Watkins, and most rankers concur for whatever that's worth, but all your choices have their risks, to be sure.