Box Office Disappointments

Tools    

Gday MoFo's names fryzie and this is my first official thread yah!

This topic is on the subject of box office disappointments name a movie that you absolutely fell in love with but never registered with the mainstream drones therefore resulting in poor box office returns.

I reckon Michel Gondry's Be Kind Rewind was a fantastic film but others of course did not agree

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Great movie

But to get the full Manos experience you do need these guys to give you a running commentary over the top of it:

Otherwise the movie looses something and doesnt get it back ....

Welcome to the human race...
Actually, if I recall correctly, Joel did the commentary on the episode where they featured Manos, not Mike.

Would be interesting to get Mike's take on it, though. I prefer him to Joel.

Actually, if I recall correctly, Joel did the commentary on the episode where they featured Manos, not Mike.

Would be interesting to get Mike's take on it, though. I prefer him to Joel.
Indeed he did, my bad . I'm also more of a Mike fan.

After several decades, what we are given is a Richard Donner love letter wrapped in cheesy sentiments. If it wasn't for overseas box office take, it would have been a true failure. What's worse is X-Men 3 was forsaken for this.

...uh the post is up there...

Surprisingly entertaining

misread thread..didnt "fall in love with this movie". Thought thread was about decent movies that didnt get enough publicity/buzz to be seen

Banned from Hollywood.
...this one as well..

The Machinist... i adore this movie..of course it wasnt gonna be a huge hit, but in my eyes it should have.. Bale's greatest performance to date as well..

An endless list, really, as in most any year many if not most of my favorites tend to be those that don't connect with the mainstream, for whatever reason. But taking indie and foreign language pictures out of the running as it's only surprising when they do make waves at the box office, some of the fare that was targeted for mainstream consumption but was misunderstood, ignored, neglected and failed to make even a respectable showing with the ticket-buying public at large, I'd highlight a few favorites such as...

QUICK CHANGE
1990 - Franklin & Murray

For my money one of the most underrated comedies of the past twenty years, a deadpan but often hysterical and farcical take on Dog Day Afternoon headlined by Bill Murray and populated with an amazing array of supporting players from Geena Davis and Randy Quaid to Jason Robards and Bob Elliott, Phil Hartman and Jamey Sheridan, Stanley Tucci and Victor Argo, Philip Bosco and Kurtwood Smith and a film-stealing bit by Tony Shalhoub as a NYC cab driver who speaks literally no English.

Released in the summer of 1990 which was dominated domestic boxoffice-wise by Arnie in Total Recall ($119-million), Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2 ($117-million), and especially Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze in Ghost ($217-million), Quick Change only managed a paltry $15-million as it quickly disappeared from cinemas. Probably seemed like a good candidate for summer release at the time, but in retrospect might have fared better in the Fall not competing against the biggest movies of the year.

LET IT RIDE
1989 - Joe Pytka

Delightful Damon Runyonesquse race track comedy starring Richard Dreyfuss with another perfect supporting cast including Teri Garr, Jennifer Tilly, David Johansen, Allen Garfield, Michelle Phillips, Richard Edson, Cynthia Nixon and Robbie Coltrane who steals every scene he's in as a cheerfully skeptical ticket seller at the track windows.

It was released in August, but still Let it Ride didn't even make it to $5-million in U.S. box office. The summer of 1989 was awash in mega-blockbusters with the phenomenon of Tim Burton's Batman leading the way ($251-million) and a slew of high-profile sequels including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ($197-million), Lethal Weapon 2 ($147-million), Back to the Future Part II ($118-million) and even Ghostbusters II ($112-million). The biggest hit, non-sequel comedy wise, was Ron Howard's Parenthood ($100-million). A little movie like Let it Ride simply got lost in the shuffle. I think it has grown a respectable cult appreciation on home video and TV, but I absolutely loved it, saw it twice in as many days, and thought it deserved a much better fate in terms of ticket sales. Damn funny flick and a boxoffice bust.

DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID
1982 - Carl Reiner

Another underrated comedy, this one may have been a bit too clever and ahead of its time for its own good. Steve Martin and Carl Reiner's follow-up to Steve's starmaking movie The Jerk, it slots Martin into a '40s detective Noir pardoy that ingeniously has him interacting with the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, Jimmy Cagney, Ava Gardner, Burt Lancaster, Ingrid Bergman and a dozen others within film clips from such classic movies as Double Indemnity, Notorious, White Heat, The Postman Always Rings Twice and This Gun for Hire. This is done without the advances of today's computer technology that can have Fred Astaire dancing with vacuum cleaners but instead painstakingly matches wardrobe and lighting as well as character names and plot specifics to have Martin and his heavenly co-star Rachel Ward do some cinematic time traveling. Perhaps in the early days of the home video boom and a target audience that was probably too young to know many if any of the clips it had no real chance. But it's some kind of demented genius and a joy for film buffs.

On the strength of Martin's star alone it did manage a decent $18-million in the summer of 1982, but the transcendence of an all-ages phenomenon of Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial ($360-million!), the crowd-pleasing of Rocky III ($124-million), and Mr. Spock's temporary passing in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan ($79-million) were the movies that captured the most ticket dollars. Even Blade Runner, which got some truly lousy reviews and underperformed considering its status among cinephiles and rabid devotees today, even it still managed to make nearly $28-million. I'd like to think that in today's climate where everything from cable networks and Netflix to online streaming makes so much of our cinematic heritage accessible that perhaps Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid might have a better chance at finding a mainstream audience. But more likely it was destined to fill a clever but small niche. I loves it to pieces.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Office Space - A box office dud in 1999, it became a cult classic thanks to DVD.

I can't believe that this movie flopped. It's one of the best comedies ever made, in my opinion, with the most memorable and amusing characters (Peter, Lumbergh, Milton, next door neighbor Lawrence, Michael Bolton, Samir, geeky waiter Brian, the "O-face" guy Drew, the "jump-to-conclusions" guy Tom, those damn TPS reports, Milton's red stapler, and that damn print machine), and some of the best music and quotes.

I love Office Space!

Freedom Park; it was an indie film that should have made it big.