Funny Games, U.S. version

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
remake of Funny Games

Release Date: April 4th, 2008

Studios: (for production)
Celluloid Dreams
Celluloid Nightmares
Dreamachine
Halcyon Pictures
Tartan Films
X-Filme
Director: Michael Haneke

Screenwriter: Michael Haneke

Starring: Naomi Watts, Brady Corbet, Devon Gearhart, and Tim Roth

Plot Summary: (ala IMDB) In this English-language remake of a deconstruction in the way violence is portrayed in the media, a family settles into its vacation home, which happens to be the next stop for a pair of young, articulate, white-gloved serial killers on an excursion through the neighborhood.

Trailer:

Poster:

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I'm curious about this film. I wonder why Haneke has remade it?
he wanted to remake because he wanted to bring it to an American audience that won't go see foreign films.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
he wanted to remake because he wanted to bring it to an American audience that won't go see foreign films.
I don't think he should pander to such audiences. If they can't even read, they probably won't get the film anyway...

Here is a thread on the Funny Games and Haneke in general.

Hitchcock remade his own The Man Who Knew Too Much. I much prefer the original. In more recent years, two European filmmakers remade their own movies: George Sluizer's The Vanishing (1988 & 1993) and Ole Bornedal's Nightwatch (1994 & 1997). The original Vanishing is a masterpiece and his own Americanized remake is an unholy piece of *****. The original Nightwatch is terrific and I kinda like the Americanized one almost as much. I think it's interesting that he attacked the same material with a completely different tone. It works for me, though the original is definitely superior.

I think clearly the only reason Haneke is remaking Funny Games in America is for the perverse thrill of putting "the masses" through that trip on a level that it would never reach strictly as a foreign-language film.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra