Slither

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've seen the TV ads, but haven't heard any good, official buzz on this movie. The ads look interesting ... the next Tremors? Shaun of the Dead? Both?

I'm torn between seeing Slither this weekend ... and Ice Age 2. Yes, I have serious identity issues. So?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
See Slither. I've been waiting months and months for this film and can barely wait any longer. James Gunn, as far as I'm concerned, is the most talented genre screenwriter working today.

I also have it from a person who's film opinions I readily trust that it was everything we all hoped it would be and more.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Eight Legged Freaks, only better man.........along with snakes...on a plane this movie will rock.

Suspect's Reviews

What would Scooby Do?
I really can't wait for this film! Being in the UK sucks as we have to wait longer for films like this

Originally Posted by OG-
James Gunn, as far as I'm concerned, is the most talented genre screenwriter working today.
Scooby-Doo....

Slither

I enjoyed it. It did a fine job of mixing horror with humor. The humor didn't spoil the horror and the horror didn't overpower the humor. On that note, Nathan Fillion may be the new King at mixing genres. His sci-fi/humor approach was right on as Captain Mal Reynolds in Serenity and his take on horror/humor was dead on the money again as Police Chief Bill Pardy in Slither.

The other two leads were very good also. Elizabeth Banks as the wife of...well, it's a demanding role, trust me on this. And BTW, Banks is one hot surburban momma. In junior high, this is what I wanted all my teachers to look like. She's not Pam Anderson hot, she's more of a Naomi Watts Perfect Woman Next Door hot. And of course, Chief Pardy has the hots for her.

The other lead is Michael Rooker as Banks' husband. He's good too. This is just a fun, sometimes funny, sometimes genuinely scary movie. I jumped in my seat twice that I can remember. I always hope the people behind don't see that. ;-)

As for "zombies, critters running amok, alien mutants taking over the world" movies; this ranks right up there. There's good action, there's good dialogue delivered by actors who are fun to watch, there's ample gore and grossness and it's a pretty decent story.

Probably the best of its kind I've seen since Tremors.

B+ ...for the fun of it
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Just saw this over the weekend, and I was pleasently suprised. Oh it is not a great movie, but it is good. The humor, as Twain mentioned, is perfectly balanced with the horror/gore. The casting for the extras was great too, these were real off-the-street (dirt road) rednecks; takes one to know one and I am pretty sure I saw a few of my cousins watching the heavy set girl crank out "The crying game" song. The only thing I was suprised at was the weak "R" rating. It really could have been PG13 if a one or two scenes were edited. Not that I would want them to be edited, but there could have been a bit more gratuitous nudity/sex/disgusting gut scenes, therefore taking full advantage of the R rating. All in all a fun movie, I too give it a B+

Originally Posted by 7thson
The only thing I was suprised at was the week "R" rating. It really could have been PG13 if a one or two scenes were edited.
I noticed that too. Maybe too much of an R would have spoiled the humor. I suspect the R was mostly for the language. I'm really glad they left it an R, I'm becoming wary of PG13 movies after things like Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet. PG13 is fine for some movies but it just doesn't work for others.

Anyway, that scene with Elizabeth Banks on the ground, leaning over (was it Nathan Fillion?) and showing that marvelous view down her lowcut gown is about all my heart can take. ;-)

Originally Posted by Twain
I
Anyway, that scene with Elizabeth Banks on the ground, leaning over (was it Nathan Fillion?) and showing that marvelous view down her lowcut gown is about all my heart can take. ;-)

Too funny, cause well I was thinking the same. Such a tease James Gunn is. Who cared who lived, who died and who got blown up at that point? The main thing was the clevage shot. The clevage shot is underated IMO. Only in B+ horror movies that is...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Scooby-Doo....
Hey man, don't count Scooby-Doo out. It's not easy to write a feature length version of a kid's show and have it be entertaining for not only said kids but adults as well.

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed is actually a blast...

What I think makes him the most talented genre writer is his ability to breath such a great sense of fun and urgency back into it. I think it's a lot harder to strike a perfect balance between shock and shlock than it is to just write something that is dour throughout.

You have yet to see my masterpiece
I am ancious to hear how this movie compares to 8 legged freakes and Club Dread as far as horror/comedies go

stranger then a drunken mime
I thought this was going to be one of those cheesy get torn to shreds by weird creature movies like.. Anaconda or something.