MoFo Fantasy Football 2010: Week 6

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
ive got wallace in other setup..yeah Ben is what he needed for sure

How you no chatty Chris? You no likey me anymore?

A system of cells interlinked
Chat down for me

Chicago defense down too, come to think of it!

Chris Carter was on espn radio to talk about the Sunday that was, including his take on the Desean Jackson Wallop.

Interesting perspective from a guy that played 16 years at a high level in the NFL. He says as a receiver, he would rather get hit in the chest/shoulder area, as a hit to the Ribs may end the season, while a hit to the knees can end a career.

Also, we were talkin in chat yesterday about the CFL a bit, he also asserts the widening of the field would make a difference. (Won't happen though, would lose a couple of rows of seats.)

8 minute clip here

Yeah, the hit was dirty in a sense that Robinson shouldn't lead with his helmet, but all articles I have read are saying he went helmet to helmet and thats just not the case. He was putting his helmet down to make the hit more effective (which is illegal and he was appropriately penalized) and not to take DeSean out of the game. Robinson hit DeSean in the shoulder, and from the looks of the hit I am surprised Robinson isn't the one with the major injury.

Oh i imagine they both will be shaking cobwebs for awhile.

I don't believe it to be a dirty hit though. It's a contact sport played at relatively high speed.

I mean we @ home have the benefit of watching in slo-mo from multiple angles. That was a bang bang play.

The extra shot that Heap absorbed was much worse imo. He doesn't have the marquee value of Desean though, so probably won't see the clip endlessly til next week.

Well you have to admit that it was dirty a little bit, no? He intentionally led with his helmet, he could've easily wrapped the guy up, but his arms weren't in the equation at all.

Harrison was getting some **** for his hit on Massaquoi and Cribbs. I think those two hits were completely justifiable though, Cribbs lowered his head first so it was hard to avoid helmet contact there, and Massaquoi got tackled pretty fairly, sure it was a bit high, but Harrison is a big mofo his hits seem to hurt a little bit.

Worth posting the hits...

Robinson vs. Jackson

Harrison vs. Cribbs

Harrison vs. Massaquoi
&feature=related

All three lead to concussions.

lol @ easily wrapped the guy up.

yeah, and if the guy shakes the tackle and romps for a TD, then what?

its a bang bang play..zone coverage, you are closing the distance at a high rate of speed relatively speaking.

Its an anticipation thing.

We see it in hockey all the time, Lacrosse moreso, where a guy is lined up and at last second he adjusts his posture, and gets annihilated.

its part of the game.

the Chop blocks, crackback blocks, career enders, now those should be penalized with $$ . Intent to injure , which is what they are, I'd love to see the offending player pick up the tab personally for the medical bill.

You'd see an instantaneous reduction.

lol @ easily wrapped the guy up.

yeah, and if the guy shakes the tackle and romps for a TD, then what?
Look at the hit though, his arms are at his side and his helmet is ahead of any body part.

look at the pass though. Kolb tossed it in no-mans land.

again, it wasnt helmet to helmet, looks to me he nailed him right in the chest.

its the whiplash effect that causes the damage , and of course smacked on the turf.

Astro-turf isn't used because its safe for the players, its used to save on $$.

Also, remember why the Athletes in Pro Sports make goofy money relative to the rest of society, its because, on the whole, careers are 10 years or less. (and thats probably high).

its the nature of the beast.

look at the pass though. Kolb tossed it in no-mans land.

again, it wasnt helmet to helmet, looks to me he nailed him right in the chest.
No but it was leading with the helmet. Do you disagree with the penalty then? Are you saying leading with the helmet is a legitimate way to tackle?

Originally Posted by DexterRiley
Also, remember why the Athletes in Pro Sports make goofy money relative to the rest of society, its because, on the whole, careers are 10 years or less. (and thats probably high).
Um, it's because of the ridiculous revenue that pro sports generates.

Refs have a tough job, they make instant judgement in real time as well.

I'm saying its a violent game.

I'm not upset about the penalty, from his view i can see it being a penalty.

Again, we at home have the benefit of TV cameras from just about every conceivable angle, in slow mo to boot.

What i am saying, is the league oughtta come down hard on the blatant intent to injure plays.

like what Brett Favre did in the pre-season last year. thats far worse imo.

Refs have a tough job, they make instant judgement in real time as well.

I'm saying its a violent game.

I'm not upset about the penalty, from his view i can see it being a penalty.

Again, we at home have the benefit of TV cameras from just about every conceivable angle, in slow mo to boot.

What i am saying, is the league oughtta come down hard on the blatant intent to injure plays.

like what Brett Favre did in the pre-season last year. thats far worse imo.
What? I'm not disputing any of that.

Originally Posted by DexterRiley
its part of the game.
^^This is what I am disputing. You can't prepare for hits like that, so it really isn't technically part of the game (sure, it happens) thats why there is a rule in place that says you can't do that sh*t.

Um, it's because of the ridiculous revenue that pro sports generates.
is that so?

cmon Fiscal.

thats just silly-talk.

What? I'm not disputing any of that.

It still remains that it was a ****** tackle and leading with the helmet is going to get someone seriously injured.

ok. and.....?

remove astro-turf and have natural grass will save careers, if thats what is really the most important thing.

it isn't.

At this point i don't know what we are discussing here.

it was a vicious hit, I hope both guys don't lose too much time, and more importantly I hope they regain there faculties for life after football.

I'm not sure what the dispute is, exactly, but right or wrong the NFL is absolutely going to have to deal with this more and more seriously in the next year or two.

It may be part of the game to get creamed, but a) that doesn't mean "the game" is good, and b) the game has changed like crazy before, and it can (and probably will) again. Human beings are not designed for these collisions, pads or no. The fact that we've been doing it anyway doesn't change our anatomy. We just can't slam into each other without lots of people dramatically shortening their life spans and dramatically increasing the likelihood of brain injuries.

One very relevant bit of football history is that Teddy Roosevelt, apparently, was on the verge of banning organized football during his Presidency because people were being injured so often and so severely. Instead, they invented the forward pass (up until then it'd just been people running and smashing into each other), injuries became less frequent, and the game changed (for the better) forever.