The Redux 100

→ in
Tools    

100. Big Fish (2003)

Director: Tim Burton
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup

Watching Big Fish is much like watching a carnival come to life. Given that the characters are colorful and the story seems to be as epic as life itself, something I feel Burton intentionally tried to make the viewer feel, Big Fish also boasts wonderful direction, and seemingly unrelated but somehow tied together pacing which pays off after the first fifteen minutes or so. What we are treated to then is some type of mythical roller coaster, full of the powers that make life great, drawn from the heart and physically added into the world, like touching happiness or watching fear. For me it was quite an experience.

99. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Director: Peter Jackson
Stars: Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen

The Return of the King isn't always as refined as The Fellowship of the Ring or The Two Towers, but it remains a gripping, altogether momentous end to a truly magnificent piece of cinema. Plus there is the fact that the books were dubbed unfilmmable for many years, but look at the trilogy and tell me what you think. The action sequences are breathtaking, the direction spellbinding, and the film an overall impressive conclusion to an epic journey. Peter Jackson knew what he was doing, and it's incredible how he managed to bring the Lord of the Rings to life. That being said, he just so happens to be one talented son of a bitch, and his name shall live on in cinema long after he has departed from this world.

98. The Big Lebowski (1998)

Director: Joel Coen
Stars: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore

There's no denying the fact that The Big Lebowski has become something of a cult sensation in the decade plus since its release. The greatest thing about the film is Jeff Bridges' unforgettable character, the Dude. "Yeah, well. The Dude abides." Lebowski is a wacky, wonderful, hilarious, and undeniably enjoyable experience for those with a sense of humor. The roles are perfect for each actor that fills them, and this goes for Bridges, Goodman, Moore, Buscemi, and Hoffman.

The plot sounds too simple to work. Yet, it does, delivering an almost powerful tale of good versus evil, spirit and triumph, with storytelling and filmmaking on a fine scale.
I don't know, it worked well enough when it was called Hamlet.

97. The Matrix (1999)

Director: Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski
Stars: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss

Cyber-thriller, philosophy lesson, action extravaganza, sci-fi geekfest, martial arts showcase, goth subculture, anti-establishment call to arms - The Matrix encapsulates it all with visual flair and production values unlike any that came before. I will never forget watching this movie for the first time and being blown away by its ability to dazzle the brain.

96. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Director: David Fincher
Stars: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer

One could possibly write a dissertation about the layers, themes, and characters of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with only cursory mention of the murder mystery plot. Indeed, David Fincher's thought-provoking film features a story as interesting as the title, but it's the perfect pacing and performance by Rooney Mara that makes The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo so worthy of praise. Mara becomes the character, breathing in her ideal image of the source material's titular star. It is fascinating to watch her in action, and a guilty pleasure to view The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo multiple times a year.

95. Fight Club (1999)

Director: David Fincher
Stars: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter

In the decade or so that's elapsed since Flight Club first pummeled audiences and divided critics, many of the film's themes have remained remarkably pertinent. The recession, the 9/11 attacks, brand awareness and mass marketing, and the basic fundamental concept of human behavior and violence. Fight Club may be a mind twister for some, but for me it's always been about the symbolism behind the story. David Fincher managed to unleash the tiger and set an example as usual.

Those last 3 are similar for me in that I like all of them, but I was hoping for more. I give all 3 a 7 out of 10.

Now that I think of it, I feel much the same way about The Big Lebowski. But after watching it for the 2nd time, I give that an 8/10.

94. Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Director: Quentin Tarantino
Stars: Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Eli Roth

Inglourious Basterds must be seen to be understood. It's like watching Pulp Fiction and The Dirty Dozen. This movie has some of the most intense moments of any film I have ever seen, the most notable including the bar scene and the opening. Christoph Waltz is just absolutely fantastic in his role. "You are now in the hands of the SS, my hands to be exact."

93. The Hangover (2009)

Director: Todd Phillips
Stars: Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper, Justin Bartha

The Hangover failed to worm into my brain like it did with so many others, but I honestly blame the endless hype it's received. But that's because those around me constantly called it the greatest comedy film of all time, which I, for one reason or another, believed. I watched the film, and though I do not consider it the no-questions-asked greatest comedy of all time, it is definitely one of them, at least for me.

92. Inception (2010)

Director: Christopher Nolan
Stars: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page

Not everyone will fawn over Inception. Some call it overrated, a story too creative to fit inside a film, or simply another Memento. However, this will remain on my top 100 list for many years to come. DiCaprio blows it away, as usual, and the set pieces are awesome. Nolan's films always captivate me, and this movie is no exception.

Now that's a f*cking fine ass set, I like all three. Inception is my favorite of the bunch, but I must rewatch that movie.

91. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Director: Christopher Nolan
Stars: Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway

The Dark Knight begs repeat viewings. The film both succeeds and disappoints, which is a strange combination for someone who is an avid fan of its predecessor. It isn't a perfect movie, but it's full of symbolism and meaning, whether you see it as a statement on the limits of power one man can have or a simple battle against good and evil, and the ending made me stand up and cheer, something I haven't experienced since watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

+rep for Lebowski, Fight Club, Basterds and Inception.

So far I've seen all but TDKR, but my feelings on the rest of the list range from being merely underwhelmed to downright disliking them, but it's still a nice start and an interesting list. (Well, okay, actually I haven't seen Return of the King, but I did see and didn't like the The Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers.)

I only saw the beginning of Basterds and look forward to watching the whole thing. I watched the beginning of Inception and couldn't get into it-I may try again. Haven't seen The Dark Knight films but I F****** love The Hangover.