Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I don't think Stu is quite saying that (but he can correct me). Here's the quote:
...the previous line in that song was literally "Was it love at first sight?", and then he says "Did she put up a fight?", which to me, implies that he meant "Was she hard to woo?" (as opposed to it being "love at first sight")
Sounds like he's saying the lines are meant to contrast, but not that it's an "answer." He says right there what he thinks it means: was she hard to woo?

Also, ya' know, they rhyme.

It wouldn't be the first time
someone bent
what they meant
For the sake of a rhyme.

I think there is meant to be a contrast, but to me it is more between women mooning over love, and men oogling over sexual details.

Again, if it was just on paper, I can understand giving it a more gracious reading. But it is in the manner of how the guy sings it that makes its meaning fairly apparent. And I think it translates that way to a lot of very passive listeners as well since, as I mentioned in a previous post, this seems to be the line men remember to sing along to when drunk and on a dance floor. And in that context, it never has anything to do with their eagerness to know how hard she was to woo.

EDIT: I just started to watch the clip for the first time in years and the whole song begins with the T-Birds asking him to give them 'all the horny details'. RIght from the get go, they are establishing how these two conversations are very different: romance vs sex.

I can give no other reading to it.

Not to mention the previous couplet is

"Did you get very far"
"Does he drive his own car"

We can graciously assume on paper this means they are talking about the distance you drive in his car but.....one of the t-birds mimes groping breasts as he says his line.

It's rapey.

I think there is meant to be a contrast, but to me it is more between women mooning over love, and men oogling over sexual details.
I agree, I just don't think that's either-or. I think it's contrasting both things.

Again, if it was just on paper, I can understand giving it a more gracious reading. But it is in the manner of how the guy sings it that makes its meaning fairly apparent. And I think it translates that way to a lot of very passive listeners as well since, as I mentioned in a previous post, this seems to be the line men remember to sing along to when drunk and on a dance floor. And in that context, it never has anything to do with their eagerness to know how hard she was to woo.

EDIT: I just started to watch the clip for the first time in years and the whole song begins with the T-Birds asking him to give them 'all the horny details'. RIght from the get go, they are establishing how these two conversations are very different: romance vs sex.
I'm genuinely confused by some of these responses. In this one, and in a couple of others, too, it sounds like people are trying to convince me/us that it's merely sexual. But I don't think anyone's disputing that. It's the leap from "sexual" to "rapey."

Here's another example:

We can graciously assume on paper this means they are talking about the distance you drive in his car but.....one of the t-birds mimes groping breasts as he says his line.

It's rapey.
How do we go from "mimes groping breasts" (and why is it groping rather than grabbing, except that the former has a non-consensual connotation?) to "rapey," as if that's the only context in which someone might be grabbing someone else.

In short: why are the lyrics' sexual nature being used as ipso facto evidence that they're talking about some untoward form of coercion, rather than just being immature horn dogs? If you just wanna say that's how you read it, that's fine. As I said in this post, I can't prove or disprove the implications we do or don't read into it. But I don't see why people are trying to support those perceptions just by talking about it being sexual.

Okay, so at least watching Grease has led to me expanding my vocabulary.
It's a great word, even if its mostly useful outside of its "real" meaning (chess). Also just really fun to say.

I don't think I'm describing these two related (but different) things the same way. If I'd thought the line meant someone was actually being sexually assaulted, I'd definitely have mentioned that in my initial review and I wouldn't be using words like "icky" to describe my feelings about the lyric.
I'm thinking specifically of the word "rapey." That's quite literally using the word (unless we think the appending of "y" fundamentally changes things) to describe the thing in the same terms as its most extreme form.

Rape is one of the worst acts a human can commit, particularly of those committed with any regularity. So that word basically means "one-of-the-worst-acts-you-can-commit-y."

Why is that untenable, though? I'm not talking about a standard other people need to have.
I'm not saying it's untenable because your reaction needs to generalize to everyone (though there is, of course, often an implication when discussing problematic things that they should be problematic to everyone/more people/whatever). I'm saying it's untenable because I'm presuming you don't want to infantilize women.

In the process of describing your objection to this line, you're noting that, even accounting for our differing interpretations, it "starts to skew" into non-consensual territory either way. And I'm saying that objecting to it also "starts to skew" towards things we both presumably also find unacceptable. Therefore, objecting to something on the basis that it "starts to skew" in a general direction is untenable as an explanation, because it is unavoidable.

There are a dozen other ways to imply someone was resistant to an idea ("Did you have to sweet talk her?" "Did you have to beg and plead?") that don't evoke the use of physical force.
Oh, easily. More than a dozen! Not sure how many there are that rhyme, though.

And it's also pretty likely they are, yes, implying that the man in this context wants to have sex more (or just sooner) than she does. If someone wants to lay into it because they don't like that generalization, have at it.

This is actually part of why the actors being so much older than their characters adds to the problem. It's not some naive looking 16 year old kid saying that lyric. It's a 28 year old man.
I can understand why that might have it land differently, though for purposes of evaluating the creator's choices and intent, I think we have to think of them as the age the characters are.

And I do disagree with Stu's interpretation (though he's obviously free to read the lyrics however he chooses). I don't see "love at first sight" and "did she put up a fight" as two sides of the same coin, because I don't see prompt mutual attraction and having sex as automatic equals. To me (and this is just what these words mean in my head!) "love at first sight" = "were you guys into each other right away?" and "did she put up a fight?" = "Did she push back against having sex with you?"
What's funny is that that's what it means to me, too. Though maybe phrases like "resist" or "push back" are eliding a lot, since the spectrum contained by those is pretty vast, too.

Serious question, actually, and maybe this will cut through the Gordian knot:

Are people taking Stu's reference to "woo[ing]" like it refers to some quasi-Victorian courtship process? Because it's not an inherently asexual term or anything.

I agree, I just don't think that's either-or. I think it's contrasting both things.

I'm genuinely confused by some of these responses. In this one, and in a couple of others, too, it sounds like people are trying to convince me/us that it's merely sexual. But I don't think anyone's disputing that. It's the leap from "sexual" to "rapey."

Here's another example:

How do we go from "mimes groping breasts" (and why is it groping rather than grabbing, except that the former has a non-consensual connotation?) to "rapey," as if that's the only context in which someone might be grabbing someone else.

In short: why are the lyrics' sexual nature being used as ipso facto evidence that they're talking about some untoward form of coercion, rather than just being immature horn dogs? If you just wanna say that's how you read it, that's fine. As I said in this post, I can't prove or disprove the implications we do or don't read into it. But I don't see why people are trying to support those perceptions just by talking about it being sexual.

That one line is rapey because of the context of the entire song. In isolation, sure, could be taken lots of ways. But when a lyric establishes its theme (the two competing narratives, one being framed exclusively by notions of romance, the other framed about men wanting details about sex) and then one of the lines is 'did she put up a fight', I'm drawing the shortest line as to what this means. If these characters are talking about sex, want to know all the horny details, are miming sexual acts, and then ask if she put up a fight, there are obvious implications there.

Now if we want to claim that fight was used just because it rhymed...okay...but we aren't giving a lot of credit to the lyric writers then. Lyrics in musicals are generally laboured over to get wording exactly right in order to establish character through song. Every word and its connotations are generally considered because you only have so many words to make your point. You just don't throw a rhyme in there because it rhymes, especially when it is a word like 'fight' which in any context of the word (especially a sexual context) evokes the idea of 'fighting off'. No one should be blamed if rape comes to their mind if this is the careless way they are throwing together their words. Hence 'rapey'.

And it needs to be restated that these kind of conversations about consent weren't terribly evolved in the 70's (and certainly not in the 50's when this is supposed to be taking place). Having a winky joke about having to fight a girl into having sex wasn't actually 'rapey' then. It would have just been considered an extra juicy detail about a back seat hookup. Nothing to fret over.

Also should be noted, I'm using the term 'rapey' as in evokes the idea of rape. The idea of getting consent through force. Not that it is specifically about rape. A distinction that is important.

Would you call it rapey when men yell out 'did she put up a fight on the dance floor'? No, I don't think those men are going home and raping anyone. But how often do you see men get excited singing along to lyrics from musicals. Them singing it is 'rapey' though. And its because those lyrics beg to be seen that way in the context of the whole song. And I'd argue those guys certainly see it that way.

Serious question, actually, and maybe this will cut through the Gordian knot:

Are people taking Stu's reference to "woo[ing]" like it refers to some quasi-Victorian courtship process? Because it's not an inherently asexual term or anything.

No

In short: why are the lyrics' sexual nature being used as ipso facto evidence that they're talking about some untoward form of coercion, rather than just being immature horn dogs?
Because using the language of violence ("fight") in a sexual context, puts those two ideas next to each other and evokes sexual violence?

I certainly have said repeatedly (and so has Crumbsroom) that we don't read the line as Danny having done anything untoward to Sandy. We're not even saying that the character is actually necessarily asking Danny "Did you rape her?". But the line evokes the thought in some viewers. This isn't a case of anyone proving that the lyric means one thing or another. You can't. It's a case of the use of a phrase in a specific context creating an association for some viewers/listeners. Saying "I don't get why some people would connect this lyric to sexual assault" seems really disingenuous to me. (As a thought experiment, imagine talking to a friend about a date he went on where he had sex. Now imagine asking him "Did she put up a fight?". How would you feel saying those words? Gross? Because that's how I'd feel.)

Language can evoke things even when not being taken literally. If you were a white supervisor managing a team of mostly Black employees, would you ever use the phrase "crack the whip" to describe pushing the team to work harder? Hell no. Because while no one would take the phrase to mean you were literally beating your employees, it would evoke the kind of racial violence that has existed. And if you were writing a song about this hypothetical boss-employee relationship, would you want to find a different idiom to use? I'd imagine so!

I'm thinking specifically of the word "rapey." That's quite literally using the word (unless we think the appending of "y" fundamentally changes things) to describe the thing in the same terms as its most extreme form.
The use of the word "rapey" is to categorize something that evokes the idea of sexual assault or predatory behavior but is not actually rape. The whole point of the term is to make it clear that it is not the actual thing.

I'm not saying it's untenable because your reaction needs to generalize to everyone (though there is, of course, often an implication when discussing problematic things that they should be problematic to everyone/more people/whatever). I'm saying it's untenable because I'm presuming you don't want to infantilize women.
I don't think that finding the lyric "Did she put up a fight?" a bit gross is taking agency away from women.

Me several days ago: Welp, Grease was just kind of a so-so musical. Guess I won't think about it much anymore.

Me now: *googling to see if there's actually a "did she put up a fight?" controvery* *googling "Summer Nights" lyrics* *googling zugzwang*

Me several days ago: Welp, Grease was just kind of a so-so musical. Guess I won't think about it much anymore.

Me now: *googling to see if there's actually a "did she put up a fight?" controvery* *googling "Summer Nights" lyrics* *googling zugzwang*

I googled pictures of John Travolta in baseball gear.

It's all about how he wears his hat.

Oh, Danny, you so baaaad.

Victim of The Night

El Fantasma del Convento, 1934

Couple Cristina (Marta Roel) and Eduardo (Carlos Villatoro) and their friend Alfonso (Enrique del Campo) get lost while on an outing. They are seemingly saved when a man appears out of the forest and offers to take them to a nearby monastery. Once there, however, the trio discovers that one of the cells belonged to a monk who discovered dark powers connected to desire. This aligns with current tensions in the group, as Cristina is clearly attracted to Alfonso and he is slowly becoming tempted by her overtures.

While this film does take a little while to find solid momentum, it is full of spooky atmosphere and wraps up with a last act replete with great visuals.

The first half of the film does a lot of work in building the monastery's creepy credentials. The characters walk down many a long hallway filled with cobwebs. We are frequently shown a monk's cell that has been seemingly sealed with a large cross. The three visitors follow the dark, solemn figures of the monks through the many hallways. These sequences also give us plenty of time to watch Cristina flirt with Alfonso over and over, establishing the threat of infidelity and betrayal.

It's in the last half hour, though, that the film gets really fun and interesting. Having learned that the monk who haunts the monastery once lusted after his friend's wife, a situation that ended poorly for all involved, Alfonso manages to find the cell holding the remains of the infamous monk. Finding a book in which the monk wrote down his reflections on what happened, Alfonso experiences a series of visions related to his feelings for Cristina. The visuals and special effects here are really effective and jolting. And while it might be a touch predictable, I liked the way that the legend of the monk intersected with Alfonso's current situation.

The main downside to the film is the characters themselves. I didn't really gel to any of them. Eduardo in particular feels like kind of a non-entity. This has the effect of slightly dulling the sense of urgency about what's happening between the three of them.

I also thought it was interesting that the final act centers so much on Alfonso. Surely Cristina---the person really aggressively pursuing the infidelity---is the one who should be learning a lesson from a blood-drenched monk memoir, right?! Something that was not entirely clear to me in the way that the dialogue plays out in the last act is the degree to which Cristina's behavior was driven by the haunting. It's certainly impacted by it---the film says as much overtly. But was the whole point to make Cristina behave this way so as to drive Alfonso to a crisis point where he'd be more receptive to the message from the dead monk? I almost prefer this reading, because otherwise Cristina is just a terrible person who is sort of being used as a prop for Alfonso's character growth. The idea that her behavior was more out of her control is actually more scary and more satisfying.

I have to call out a great line from the end of the film. It does go kind of into spoiler territory though. In the end we discover that (BIG SPOILERS)
WARNING: spoilers below
the monks have actually been long dead and exist only as skeletons in coffins. After learning this and trying to wrap their heads around it, Alfonso remarks, "I don't know if they came to life for a night, or if we died for a night." Woof. Love that line.

Part of the World Cinema Project and a lovely print is available (at least in the US) on YouTube. Definitely recommended! Doubly so if you enjoy spooky 1930s horror.

I'm down for this.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, 1970

After Sherlock Holmes (Robert Stephens) manages to dodge out of a wealthy Russian's proposal that he father her child, his professed neutrality toward women is tested by the arrival of a woman named Gabrielle (Geneviève Page) who is searching for her missing husband. With the help of Watson (Colin Blakely) and the sometimes intervention of his brother Mycroft (Christopher Lee), Holmes works toward solving the mysterious disappearance.

There are some really interesting and different ideas in this adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes character. Unfortunately, the film seems to perpetually dwell in the gap between what it seems to want to do and what's actually on screen.

So many of the ideas bouncing around this film are a huge draw for me, as someone who really enjoyed the Holmes short stories as a child. The introduction frames the film as showing us some of the less successful cases that Holmes investigated, along with those that were of a much more personal nature.

I also enjoyed the friction at the beginning of the film, where Holmes complains about the impact that Watson's publication of their adventures has had on his life. While his complaints mainly address more superficial concerns--such as Watson exaggerating his height or the fact that he's now expected to stalk around in a certain outfit--it also gets you thinking about the tremendous pressure of being regarded as the world's greatest detective. This is on top of the way that Holmes' unique mind can be both invigorating and incredibly isolating.

The story at the center of the mystery feels like a loving parody of the kinds of strange circumstances that surround most of the classic Holmes stories. There's a woman with amnesia, okay. And also a mysterious castle. Alright. And some strange monks. Okaaaaaaay. And possibly the Loch Ness monster. Sorry, what? Anticipating the way that Holmes will cobble these odd elements into a coherent explanation builds some fun, frothy suspense.

But it's as the film tries to cohere its various elements that I felt let down a bit. Sure, it's satisfying to see how these wacky pieces fit into a logical puzzle. But the other half of the film is really about the relationship that Holmes is developing with Gabrielle. It's in that resolution, and its failure to really gel with the central mystery, that it goes a bit flat. I don't mind the idea that we are not given the inside scoop on how Holmes feels about Gabrielle. I think there's a chance that Holmes himself doesn't quite know. And yet whatever the delicious tension there should have been between them never really manifests.

I liked all of the performances, but there's something a bit muted about the whole affair. The dialogue is pretty great at times, but the film felt like it needed to either be lighter and crisper or darker and moodier. The movie starts with two different scenes in which it's suggested that Holmes might be gay, but the thread of this implication doesn't quite weave into the main narrative. Where it does appear, it feels underdeveloped if it was meant to be a source of friction.

Certainly an interesting variation on the Holmes character, but it never quite lives up to promises of its concept.

Victim of The Night
I should really put a PSA in the Horrorcram thread. I think a lot of folks would dig it.
I got that sense from your review. Seems right up many alleys in our crowd.

If either/both of you are using the word "rapey" just to mean "made me think of rape," then plainly I am in no position to disagree. I certainly don't think you're lying, and "I didn't like it because it made me think of that" is a perfectly reasonable reaction. But that's not really the genesis of this conversation: I only said anything when Stu was told he was misreading the scene.

I do think there's a sort of an implication to calling something "rapey" in public, where most of what we're saying is presumed to be the basis for conversation, or carries an implied import a little beyond "this is just my personal feeling," but I admit that's murkier. Either way, as I said earlier, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of their reaction to it. But that includes Stu.

I'm happy to leave it that that rather than continue to respond point-by-point, with the standard offer to continue privately if anybody feels I didn't give something its due. Otherwise, either of you can take the last word, presuming it's not so provocative I feel an overwhelming urge to respond (as opposed to my normal urge to respond, which I'm afraid is incurable).

If either/both of you are using the word "rapey" just to mean "made me think of rape," then plainly I am in no position to disagree. I certainly don't think you're lying, and "I didn't like it because it made me think of that" is a perfectly reasonable reaction.
The word is (as I have encountered it) used to refer to words/actions/ideas that are what you might call rape-adjacent or that seem to hint at or imply sexual aggression.

For example, if a song lyric included the words "I won't let you say no to me", that could be described as "rapey" because of the cultural context of not accepting "no" as an answer. Another way to think of it is "That sounds like something a sexual predator would say/do!".

The guy who came into my yard and casually observed "no one would hear you yell"? Rapey.

But that's not really the genesis of this conversation: I only said anything when Stu was told he was misreading the scene.
I mean, I do think he's misreading the scene. Like I said before, I don't think that what the girls are implying/asking about Danny is in the same realm as what the boys are implying/asking about Sandy. His criticism is that it's not fair that the boys' lyrics get called out but . . . at best they are being crude and gross.

Of course we can't go so far to say who is right and who is wrong without talking directly to the songwriters, but I think there is an abundance of clear reasons why that line has to do specifically with sex. And if it is specifically about sex, then by definition it's pretty rapey.

As specifically for what Stu said, I also think he's sort of off base. His premise is based on ignoring what is clearly the point of the song, which is the glaringly contrasting ways men and women talk about these things. Every 'pure' line sung by the girls has an immediate contrast with the more leering intents of the male conversation. The song would be breaking it's apparent structure if that just happens to be the only line where both the men and the women are talking about the same thing.

And regardless of any of this, my main take away from Stu's claim is he thinks it is weird that anyone would get a nefarious vibe from that line. And I think that is what is essentially off base about his post since, even if that isn't ones immediate takeaway, I don't think it should be hard to at least see what the issue is. I'm still baffled how this isn't an open and shut case, with at least an agreement that if it wasn't meant to be taken the way me or Wooley or Takoma have taken it, it's because it's an obviously poor choice of words on the part of the songwriter. It at the very least begs the confusion.

The problem with the words in songs is most of the time they aren't anything like reading a book or watching a movie. The lines are often incomplete, filled with wordplay, outside the parameters of normal conversation. There's only one character and they're usually describing something or talking about someone else or expressing an idea, much of the time counter culture. You can't really rate the words of music on their literary content alone, as the way they are sung is often more important than what they say. Its a lost cause analyzing singers if you are a movie fan. Too much innuendo, allusions, insinuations, and imprecise suggestiveness. A movie scene leaves little to the imagination and has a solid base while words in music are a lot more elusive and malleable in their interpretations.