The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Another two films I think are quite good - neither made my ballot :

96. The Talented Mr. Ripley - What I like most about The Talented Mr. Ripley is the fact that although Tom Ripley (Matt Damon) was born to be a con-man, megalomaniac and liar, he's just starting out in this film and is often moved to panic. His frantic attempts at covering up crimes and finding the right lie when put on the spot makes the film so tense and exciting. He kills on the spur of the moment, and is often called out for not being the high society person he so desperately wants to be. Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law and Cate Blanchett shine - all four performers in their prime and young. The last time I watched it I noted that I "Loved Jude Law, who I'm enjoying more and more these days, and I miss Philip Seymour Hoffman very much. I have some sympathy for Tom Ripley - it's easy to forget he's a murderer, for his crimes come at the expense of a wealthy elite who hardly deserve the advantages they have." Good inclusion - I can't tell if it's neo-noir or not, but I'm sure that will be tossed about here.

95. Shallow Grave - Saw this back when it came out, and probably one other time before catching up with it on the neo-noir Hall of Fame a little while ago. It's one of those films that starts with a really light tone which gets progressively darker and darker until it's three characters are basically in hell and trying to kill each other. A word of mouth movie that kind of helped to usher in the period of British crime/gangster films the likes of Guy Ritchie would make - one of those "what would you do if you found a suitcase full of cash" movies like A Simple Plan (we could perhaps see that film here later.) I like it's energetic score, fast pace and eccentric characters who are pretty much horrible people from the moment we meet them belittling potential flat-mates. Just so you know - they had it coming. Very good British crime film.

Seen : 4/6
Heard of : 5/6

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Talented Mr. Ripley is a slow burn, almost overly meticulous tale, but like other films with these qualities that ultimately win me over, in the end it has something that resonates with me and keeps me thinking about it. Not easy to sit through but worth the ride.

Need to see Shallow Grave as like Boyle's work well enough.

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. mostly think these are good, but didn't care for talented mr. ripley.

There's already been multiple films that never had a chance at my ballot because I don't personally view them as noir, and I'm sure there will be many more.
While I can see that happening for me as well, I also have a feeling that there's going to be a few films on the Countdown that I would have voted for had I thought about them when making my shortlist. Films I wouldn't immediately say are neo-noir myself, but once I see them come up and think about them a little harder, the justification is there. And I'm looking forward to discovering what those films are going to be.

There's already been multiple films that never had a chance at my ballot because I don't personally view them as noir, and I'm sure there will be many more. It's probably not worth mentioning again unless a big time favorite shows up.
It's such a vaguely defined style that it was unavoidable, I guess. And I suppose that has been the biggest challenge for everyone. For the hosts, in terms of setting up boundaries and eligibility requirements, and for everybody, in terms of selecting from such a vaguely defined pool of films.

I mentioned it before, but for what it's worth, part of what I'm trying to include in the mini-reviews I'm linking, are articles and reviews of people that saw each film as neo-noir and their reasonings for it. So I suppose it's a way to try to put ourselves in their perspective and see what they saw.

A system of cells interlinked
I've seen both of the two latest entries. Never considered Ripley for my ballot, but Shallow Grave was on and off my ballot a couple of times as I finalized it, but ultimately didn't make the cut. If I had re-watched it recently, it probably would have made it.

4/6 seen so far.

3lists38points
Purple Noon
Director

René Clément, 1960

Starring

Alain Delon, Marie Laforêt, Maurice Ronet, Erno Crisa

2lists39points
The Hustler
Director

Robert Rossen, 1961

Starring

Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, George C. Scott

TRAILERS

Purple Noon - In late 1950s San Francisco, a young con artist named Tom Ripley is sent to Italy to convince spoiled millionaire playboy Philippe Greenleaf to return home. But when the errand fails, Ripley takes extreme measures.

The Hustler - The story of small-time, up-and-coming pool hustler "Fast Eddie" Felson, as he challenges a legendary, long-time champion in a high stakes game.

Interesting we already have two of the Tom Ripley movies in the bottom ten. Can Purple Noon be far behind (or is it ahead)?

What are the odds, man??? What are the odds???

Seen both and liked them, but neither made my ballot. Both are very good films, but not personal favourites. I rated both of them an 8/10.

Seen: 7/8

The Hustler was #26 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1960s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two four star movies for me. I owe Purple Noon another watch. The Hustler will be on my sports list when it comes, but not ahead of Color Of Money.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Three Ripley movies in a row at the bottom of the list. What does it mean?
1. It means that only a very limited number of users have a high appreciation of this story.
2. It means that only a very limited number of users are familiar with it.
3. Most of the users don't see it as noir.

I've seen both, but voted for neither.

I watched Plein Soleil for the 5th MoFo Hall of Fame in 2015. I did actually consider it while making my ballot, but ultimately didn't put it on my shortlist. I vaguely recalled liking it, but the only specific thing I remembered liking about it was how good Alain Delon looked and I decided that wasn't enough for a vote. Had I rewatched it prior to voting, things might be different. I tried digging around the 5th HOF thread for my write-up, but couldn't find it for whatever reason.

I watched The Hustler for the 7th HOF, but I didn't like it, so never considered it.

What are the odds, man??? What are the odds???
So three MoFos voted for The American Friend, two voted for The Talented Mr. Ripley, and three voted for Purple Noon. Out of curiosity, was there any overlap? Did some MoFo vote for two or even all three of the major Tom Ripley adaptations, or did eight separate voters somehow land these flicks at #100, #96, and #94 and almost exactly and evenly split the support?

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... PURPLE NOON

RT – 95%, IMDb – 7.7

Roger Ebert said:

"The best thing about the film is the way the plot devises a way for Ripley to create a perfect cover-up, a substitution of bodies (for which a second corpse comes in handy). Ripley's meticulous timing, quick thinking and brilliant invention snatch victory out of the hands of danger." (read full review here)
Brice Ezell said:

"The success of Purple Noon is that underneath a beautiful film lies a film noir. Director René Clément, much like Delon’s Ripley, turns on the 'full sun' of the title to obscure the things going on under the surface. Instead of the shadow-painted alleways of the noir, Clément films the confidence game of Ripley in its inverse: scalding daylight. Visually, Purple Noon may be an 'anti-noir', but in every other way it lives up to the noir genre’s tropes: it turns sunlight into shadow, the obvious into the unknown." (read full review here)
@Takoma11 said:

"I think that Delon does a better job of capturing the character of Tom Ripley from the books, namely the way that he is very seductive and magnetic, but then can turn on a dime when threatened. Purple Noon is a really good film and well worth seeing." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE HUSTLER

RT – 94%, IMDb – 8.0

Roger Ebert said:

"The Hustler is one of those films where scenes have such psychic weight that they grow in our memories." (read full review here)
Andrew Davies said:

"Stylistically, The Hustler is positioned where film noir and neo-realism meet. Eugen Scufftan's Oscar winning cinematography envelops us in the smoky atmosphere of pool halls, where night can lead in to day without notice." (read full review here)
@Citizen Rules said:

"The Hustler is like a classic Greek tragedy where the protagonist rise to glory only to be destroyed by their own character flaws. It's a study of two very dysfunctional people, with pool as the driving force that causes their flaws to come into play." (read full review here)

So three MoFos voted for The American Friend, two voted for The Talented Mr. Ripley, and three voted for Purple Noon. Out of curiosity, was there any overlap? Did some MoFo vote for two or even all three of the major Tom Ripley adaptations, or did eight separate voters somehow land these flicks at #100, #96, and #94 and almost exactly evenly splitting the support?
There was just one overlap in voters between two of the three films.

Three Ripley movies in a row at the bottom of the list. What does it mean?
1. It means that only a very limited number of users have a high appreciation of this story.
2. It means that only a very limited number of users are familiar with it.
3. Most of the users don't see it as noir.
Those are interesting questions. I think it's a mixture of 2 and 3, but mostly 2. Personally, I've only seen The Talented Mr. Ripley, and it's been a very long time since.

Reply to Topic