Rank Tim Burton's movies.

Tools    

Tim Burton is certainly has a unique style, even though some of his more recent films have been lacking. But I'm sure everyone has their favorites. How would you rank his films?
Here's how I'd rank the ones I've seen so far.
1. Sleepy Hollow
2. Batman Returns
3. Batman
4. Edward Scissorhands
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas
6. Corpse Bride
7. Big Fish
8. Frankenweenie
9. Beetlejuice
10. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
11. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
12. James and the Giant Peach
13. Mars Attacks!
14. Alice in Wonderland
15. Dark Shadows
16. Planet of the Apes
As you can probably tell, the only one I haven't seen yet is Ed Wood, but I do plan on watching it in the future. And I know that Burton didn't direct James and the Giant Peach or The Nightmare Before Christmas, but he still had a strong influence in the creative process for those films.

You should post this on the other subforum about directors/actors/etc.

Anyway, they'll replace it.

I'm a fan of Burton's work. He's one of those "relax directors" for me. My top 5 Tim Burton films from what I've seen so far:

1. Ed Wood (1994) - BY FAR the best thing he's ever done.

2. Edward Scissorhands (1990) - Inventive and very touching.
3. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) [Not directed by him, but I consider it one of his creations]
4. Batman (1989) - Jack Nicholson. Period.
5. Beetlejuice (1988) - Really inventive and a great load of fun!

Others I've seen from him:

Dark Shadows
Charlie & the chocolate factory
Corpse Bride
Frankenweenie
Sleepy Hollow
Batman Returns

I did not dislike any of these films really, but the only EXTREMELY good film he ever made is Ed Wood, in my opinion. It's funny, dramatic and it's shot in a wonderfull way. I strongly recommend seeing one of Edward Wood's real films before this. I watched Plan 9 From Outer Space as a preperation for this movie and looked up a little bit about Wood's life and it really improved the experience.
This film now ranks among my top 25 films of the 90s. Awesome stuff!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yeah, I like Tim Burton too. I always know I'll have fun and be entertained. Since we are counting them my top two movies are Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach

My top 5 after that are:

1. Corpse Bride
2. Beetlejuice
3. Edward Scissorhands
4. Sleepy Hollow
5. Alice in Wonderland

1. Edward Scissorhands
2. The Nightmare Before Christmas
3. Beetlejuice
4. Batman
5. Corpse Bride
6. Sleepy Hollow
7. Dark Shadows
8. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
9. Ed Wood
10. Alice in Wonderland
11. Batman Returns
12. Frankenweenie (animated version, haven't seen the original)
13. Big Fish
14. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (not that it wasn't well done, I just really hate musicals)

15. Planet of the Apes (it pains me to even think about this movie.)

I've not seen James and the Giant Peach or Mars Attacks!

Big Fish is still his best.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
1. Ed Wood (1994)
2. Batman (1989)
3. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
4. Beetlejuice (1988)
5. Batman Returns (1992)

The rest of his work as a director is pretty forgettable, for me.

1. A Nightmare Before Christmas - yeah I cheated on this one like others above, he didn't direct but a lot of it is originally out of his head and more or less a Tim Burton film, sorry Henry Selick.

2. Edward Scissorhands
3. Frankenweenie(2012)
4. Batman Returns
5. Beetlejuice
6. Sleepy Hollow
7. Corpse Bride
8. Dark Shadows
9. Alice in Wonderland
10. Mars Attacks
11. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Think that's it, the others I either didn't like or haven't seen.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Oh this is going to be good. I'm not really a Burton fan but some of his earlier work was definitely world class. In recent times his been intent on creating wacky, visually interesting movies with 0 heart and very little in terms of story.
Ranking the Burton flicks that I've seen:

1. Edward Scissorhands
2. Batman Returns
3. The Nightmare Before Christmas
4. Beetlejuice
5. Jack and the Giant Peach
6. Sleepy Hollow
7. Batman
8. Planet of the Apes
9. Sweeney Todd
10. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
11. Alice in Wonderland
12. Mars Attacks!

Just a quick note: I don't think 'Apes is bad as its made out to be and Mars Attacks and Alice in Wonderland were just disasters! Plus, the original Batman is severely overrated, watching it recently just made me wonder how I ever liked it as a kid. Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the joker borders on being plain stupid. The sequel worked better because the writing was stronger and Burton finally seemed to grasp Batman as a character.

Was Dark Shadows any good,?
I am in doubt whether to watch it. But the temptation is strong just cos its a vampire film.
I didn't like it at all. The acting was terrible for the most part, and the cornball sense of humor just got annoying.
I'm not going to tell you to skip it or anything. Since I'm not you, I don't know whether you'd enjoy it or not. I say give it a rental and see what you think.

The only good bits about Dark Shadows were the scenes with Eva Green, because she's stunningly hot as a blonde. That alone made it worth the while for me. I guess the rest of the film was funny enough to keep me entertained, because I can't really say I disliked it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A lot of you are discrediting Henry Selick for Nightmare Before Christmas and for some strange reason James & The Giant Peach, just because Burton was a Producer.

Wanna take Coraline away from him too?

Suspect's Reviews

I am the Watcher in the Night
I haven't seen Coraline but Nightmare and Peach all had the Tim Burton touch, the humour, the style everything screamed Burton, the fact that he was producer is no coincidence.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is based on Burton's original poem. Also, according to IMDb, Burton had intended to direct the movie himself but was busy with other projects so the job went to Selick. It's still got his style all over it regardless of who actually directed it.

I kinda agree with TUS, I don't think Nightmare should be in the list tbh... it's like having The Goonies, Gremlins and Super 8 in a Spielberg list...

Or Cowboys And Aliens in a list for Ron Howard...

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
From what I've seen I think Batman Returns is his best film.