HBO Making Game of Thrones

Tools    

Haven't read the books but I think I'll check them out... this looks pretty cool...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I just started my summer break, and I've been looking for a book to get my head into, so I went and purchased Game of Thrones yesterday.

Of course, I did a little digging and
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I see that Ned dies in the first book. Of course he dies! He's being played by Sean Bean! Every time Sean gets involved in an American or high profile studio production, he dies!

I am a bit worried about starting the series after reading Sedai's posts, but maybe it will work out. *crosses fingers*

This premiered Sunday and got 4.2 million viewers which is pretty good for cable. Has already been renewed for a second season.

The marketing push has been pretty intense. Big giant billboards with Sean sitting on the "Iron Throne" all over the place. HBO put a lot of money into this thing and they're gambling it will pay off.

The reviews have been extremely positive.

I broke down and subscribed to HBO to watch it. I read the first book and its pretty damn good. The characters are extremely interesting and there isn't really anything stereotypical about them. HBO has been describing this as a Sopranos type series -- full of backstabbing and ambitious characters all out for themselves. Yep, that's what it is!

I'm happy to see Sean Bean involved in such a high profile project.

With this and Doctor Who starting up again, I've got two shows to be excited about!

If you get HBO, hope you checked it out... anyone?

You don't need HBO to watch it, brother. I'm watching the first episode tonight.

Gah. I don't get any premium channels and, more frustratingly, I've only read the very beginning of the book. And now I have to decide if I start watching at all, and if so, do I do so before or after reading the book? Probably after, but there's a ton on my reading list already.

Decisions, decisions.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I saw the first episode, thought it was a really good start. I liked the credits, with the map, it's always hard to remember where all the places are supposed to be in these big fantasy epics. I see that they made everyone older than in the books. I thought the guy playing Viserys was excellent, Tyrion was good too (he's my favourite character from the books). Looking forward to next week.

Viserys was perfectly whiny...although I don't remember them having platinum hair. I guess they did and I missed it.

Yoda -- it's a pretty compelling read! And Martin is good at the unexpected.

Definitely liked this, hopefully won't lose interest mid-season like seemed to happen with Boardwalk Empire. Was tempted to pick up the books but think cutting it too close with TV show and wouldn't enjoy either as much because of it.

i watched it, earlier in the week, and i cant wait for the second episoide....

It's all in the reflexes.
*sigh* Hopefully it makes its way to Australia in the near future, havn't seen anything about it over here though. Seen a lot of positive reviews, what do people think on here? Has episode 2 aired yet?

just watched second episoide last nite on demand....i really liked it. its interesting....

the thing is, i could watch it week to week..and then just suddenly stop and never go back to it..

i have hope for the show...but im waiting it see if it lets me down..

And now I have to decide if I start watching at all, and if so, do I do so before or after reading the book? Probably after, but there's a ton on my reading list already.

Decisions, decisions.
Read the book, it's a must. I'd say do that first, then watch it.

And the show is off to a great start. The atmosphere is spot-on with the books--they certainly got the grittiness down.

I like it so far, but I'm not a big fan of the nudity. I like a woman's breast or ass just as much as the next guy, but you're just bombarded with it in every drama or even comedy series nowadays. 95 % of the time, it has no bearing to the story being told or the point being made. It's just purely gratuitous. This was the case in Rome, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Californication (there's like 3 new 'characters' that are just there to show their boobs EVERY episode), Spartacus (also shows male and female nudity in every single episode) and now Game of Thrones. I guess it's just cheap tricks to get some people to watch and keep watching.

I'm almost expecting a voiceover to say: "and now for some ass..."

A system of cells interlinked
I like it so far, but I'm not a big fan of the nudity. I like a woman's breast or ass just as much as the next guy, but you're just bombarded with it in every drama or even comedy series nowadays. 95 % of the time, it has no bearing to the story being told or the point being made. It's just purely gratuitous. This was the case in Rome, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, Californication (there's like 3 new 'characters' that are just there to show their boobs EVERY episode), Spartacus (also shows male and female nudity in every single episode) and now Game of Thrones. I guess it's just cheap tricks to get some people to watch and keep watching.

I'm almost expecting a voiceover to say: "and now for some ass..."
Ah, but it seems the fact that those other shows contain a lot of nudity is somehow affecting your opinion of the material, when those other shows are completely irrelevant to the source material. The fact of the matter is that these books are just chock full of sex. It's adult fantasy for people who wanted a bit more than hobbits and elves running around. That was Martin's intention from the start. More dark magic, more violence, more sex, and evil, incestuous deeds for the villains. I mean, the sexual stuff with the Lannisters is clearly and largely an integral part of the character arcs for those two characters.

Cable shows can really only trump Network shows with heightened sex and violence, and they must do so graphically to raise the bar. The writing on regular networks has improved to the point where it's relatively equal to cable these days.

You do have a point overall, to a certain extent though. Oh, and Spartacus is terrible.