The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

AWARDS?

Lost Highway received the following nominations and awards:
  • Four (4) Fangoria Chainsaw Awards, including Best Supporting Actor (Robert Blake)
  • Two (2) Stinker Award nominations, including Worst Sense of Direction (David Lynch)
  • One (1) SIYAD Award nominationf or Best Foreign Film (5th Place)
  • One (1) SESC Film Festival Audience Award for Best Foreign Film
  • One (1) Cahiers du Cinéma Top 10 Film Award (Third Place)

I felt like Lost Highway was far from Lynch's best when I first saw it, but I have found that I think about it way more than any of his others. While I have yet to watch Inland Empire, I might hesitantly say it's my favorite film he has done.

I haven't seen either of yesterday's movies or Lost Highway and, given my past experiences with Lynch movies, I have no desire to see more of his work. I know I've seen bits and pieces of Thelma and Louise, but I don't know if I've ever seen all of it. Maybe I'll remedy that.

It's a very 'Lynchian' Lynch movie. Makes Mulholland Drive seem normal in comparison. I like it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

I felt like Lost Highway was far from Lynch's best when I first saw it, but I have found that I think about it way more than any of his others. While I have yet to watch Inland Empire, I might hesitantly say it's my favorite film he has done.

Inland Empire is a tough watch, due to its length and uneven film quality, but very rewarding.

Victim of The Night
As for The Dark Knight, it is a film that I really liked when I saw in theaters, but have liked less and less every time I revisit it. Sure, there's great craft from Nolan, it's an entertaining film, and Heath Ledger owns the role of the Joker. However, the third act is massively problematic and sticks out like a sore thumb the more I think of it. It's too rushed and frantically executed. And that's without getting into how much neo-noir it is (or isn't)
I agree with you completely. Liked it initially, liked it less every time I saw it, now I can't imagine sitting through the whole thing. Largely because, like so many Nolan movies, the third act just flops. As you said.
Also, I'm just gonna say it, I found Bale to be an utter bore as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Despite the love he gets and the praise of being the "best Batman" I actually think he was terribly miscast and drags down almost every scene he's in.
I might watch Ledger's scenes again going forward, they're pretty fun, but that's as much as I can afford The Dark Knight at this point.

Victim of The Night
I loved The Dark Knight the first few times I saw it, but liked it less and less after that. At this point the only thing I like about it is Ledger’s performance.
Exactly how I feel about it in fewer words than I used.

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. thelma & louise is definitely one of r. scott's better films, especially as far as his more overt exercises in doing crowd-pleasers go (and it's definitely leagues ahead of most of his other "small" pictures). i rewatched lost highway not too long ago and i'd probably pick it as my second least favourite film of lynch's (only just beating out wild at heart) - easy to retroactively view it as a rough draft for similar exercises in straight-up bending reality like mulholland dr. or inland empire, but so much of that middle section plays like a rather flat and straight noir narrative (femme fatale, mr. big, horny dope of a protagonist) to the point where its more overtly lynchian elements start to feel besides the point. no matter.

So Thelma & Louise is a noir?

It's a good film, though.
going on the run after killing a guy, mixing it up with various crooks and lowlifes in the process, fatalistic ending...it has enough of the hallmarks.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... ONE FALSE MOVE
RT – 93%, IMDb – 7.1

Roger Ebert said:
Came across this video about One False Move; Gene Siskel's best film of 1992 @ 14:15

4lists71points
Pale Flower
Director

Masahiro Shinoda, 1964

Starring

Ryō Ikebe, Mariko Kaga, Takashi Fujiki, Naoki Sugiura

4lists74points
The Departed
Director

Martin Scorsese, 2006

Starring

Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg

TRAILERS

Pale Flower - A Japanese gangster is released from prison and has to adjust with the recent shifts of power between the gangs, while taking care of a thrill-seeking young woman, who might lead him to his own destruction.

The Departed - An undercover cop infiltrates the mob, while a mob criminal infiltrates the police department, starting a tense cat and mouse game between them and their respective organizations.

The Departed is a fun film and one of my favorite Scorsese films. I think the whole cast is great and it's a very rewatchable film. I saw it in theaters and the whole last act had me like "WTF!?" more times than I can remember. That said, I didn't really see it as neo-noir so never really considered it. Not sure if it would've made my list, though. Maybe, maybe not.

I haven't seen Pale Flower.

SEEN: 27/48
MY BALLOT: 6/25

My ballot  

I'm about to leave for work and don't have time to look if I've ever written it up, but The Departed is a big favorite of mine and at one point was even in my all time top ten. It's fallen a ways since then but it was never not going to be on my ballot. I had it at #4.

My Ballot:
3. The Man From Nowhere (#87)
4. The Departed (#53)
7. True Romance (#60)
12. Shutter Island (#86)
17. Killer Joe (2011) (#66)

The Departed was #7 on the original MoFo Top 100, #12 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millenium, and #19 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

#53? The Departed should be a lot higher than that! It's top 25 neo noir for sure. This is an outrage! I'm going to write an angry letter and send it to someone. The Departed is fantastic and #1 on my ballot. I haven't seen Pale Flower.

Seen: 37/48

It really and truly is not.
I can't think of 25 neo noir films that I could honestly rank above The Departed. It's a fantastic film with excellent performance, a great screenplay and brilliant direction.

A system of cells interlinked
I love The Departed, and have seen it many times, but I didn't put it on my ballot. It honestly never crossed my mind as I compiled my list. I just qualify noir quite a bit differently than some, it seems!

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... PALE FLOWER

RT – 92%, IMDb – 7.7

Roger Ebert said:

"Pale Flower is one of the most haunting noirs I've seen, and something more; in 1964 it was an important work in an emerging Japanese New Wave of independent filmmakers, an exercise in existential cool. It involves a plot, but it is all about attitude." (read full document here)
Patrick Dunn, from Ann Arbor Observer, said:

"Even as it emulates the subject material and aesthetic of American noir in many ways, Pale Flower establishes a unique tone. Where many an American noir revels in glib, motormouth dialogue and a sense of near revelry in the perverse behavior depicted onscreen, Shinoda gives his characters room to breathe and react." (read full review here)
@Takoma11 said:

"The whole movie is involving, from beginning to end, but I especially have to mention the final scene, which is compelling both in its staging and its content. It was a bold way to end a film, and in the wrong hands it could have soured the whole film. Instead I thought that it was surprising and bracing." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE DEPARTED

RT – 91%, IMDb – 8.5

Roger Ebert said:

"Having just re-read my 2004 review of [Infernal Affairs], I find I could change the names, cut and paste it, and be discussing this film. But that would only involve the surface, the plot and a few philosophical quasi-profundities. What makes this a Scorsese film, and not merely a retread, is the director's use of actors, locations and energy, and its buried theme." (read full document here)
Aga Skrodzka-Bates, in The American Gangster is Dead, said:

"Although it’s arguably aesthetically less noir than the Hong Kong original, Infernal Affairs, The Departed has the classic noir preoccupation with the lawed detective who is in the business of finding himself rather than the criminals, the stolen goods, or the body." (read full review here)
@Holden Pike said:

"It's two and a half hours long, but doesn't drag at all; very well paced and constructed. And while there is violence and the threat of violence throughout, most of the bloodletting is saved for a Hamlet-like final act...and then it gets VERY bloody. It's not especially ambitious and doesn't have the arc of something like Michael Mann's Heat, it's just a damned enjoyable flick." (read full review here)

Reply to Topic