SciFi movies that have/will accurately portray the future?

Tools    

This thread reminded me of my recent viewing of Back to the Future II where Marty and Doc travel to the year 2015 and it looks like something out of The Jetsons

This thread reminded me of my recent viewing of Back to the Future II where Marty and Doc travel to the year 2015 and it looks like something out of The Jetsons
Recall that cheesy kid-sci-fi show Lost in Space, which was set in the long out future of 1997.

"On October 16, 1997, the United States is gearing up to colonize space. The Jupiter 2, a futuristic saucer-shaped spacecraft, stands on its launch pad undergoing final preparations. Its mission is to take a single family on a five-and-a-half year journey to an Earth-like planet orbiting the star Alpha Centauri."

That's actually how it should be, because the test is scored relative to what is typical for people in your age bracket.

For example, a 3-year old who can fluently read an 8th grade level text is probably very gifted, while a 45 year old who can do the same thing is probably of typical (or possibly even below-typical) intelligence. (Intelligence relative to decoding, to be specific). So it makes sense that the 3 year-old's score should be higher than the 45 year-old's score, despite them performing the same task.

Now, that said, IQ tests are a frustration in my job, because for students to qualify for special education services and interventions there must be a demonstrable gap between their IQ (which in theory represents their potential) and their actual performance. While the team and I have almost always found a way to get services for students---and usually they do qualify---sometimes kids don't and it makes me upset knowing the support they receive is limited and they don't get the legal protections afforded by an official IEP or 504. It is not uncommon for me to flag students for support, only to find out they were flagged much younger but did not qualify...
As an experiment (it was the late 1960s), the kids in 7th grade at my school were each given an IQ test at the start of the year and then marked according to how well they were "living up to their potential". I had the second highest IQ result, which meant that an 83% on a test might only result in a B for me, while Sue's 78% and Gary's 71% might be A's for them...

I think it will only be a matter of time before this approach to education is adopted as standard practice, in the name of "equity". So, in answer to this thread's question, it is Idiocracy all the way!

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I'm still waiting for drug stores to sell plutonium.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

That's what happens when you ban all the lawyers.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I had the second highest IQ result, which meant that an 83% on a test might only result in a B for me, while Sue's 78% and Gary's 71% might be A's for them...

I think it will only be a matter of time before this approach to education is adopted as standard practice, in the name of "equity". So, in answer to this thread's question, it is Idiocracy all the way!
Well, I do work in education, and if it puts your mind at ease, the trends are actually moving away from what you describing. We currently use standards-based grading. No curves, no "points for effort". You have a standard, and students get a score on a scale from 1 to 4 (1 = very basic, 2 = approaching, 3 = mastered, 4 = exceeding). Cumulative grades are weighted for recency. So if Susan couldn't add fractions in September, but then something clicked in October and now she's great at it, she deserves a 3 even if her average across all assessments would be a 2. Because can she add fractions? Yes she can.

What is done in the name of equity is providing accommodations to students to allow them fair access to curriculum. So if Susan is a 5th grader who can only read at a 1st grade level, she can have her math test read to her. Why? Well, we're trying to test her math skills, and her reading skills shouldn't be obscuring our ability to assess those.

I’m still waiting on that hoverboard…..
I think that's going to be a bit of a wait. On the other hand, going back to Star Trek communicators, those little things (the model for early flip phones) have been far exceeded by our smart phones. We're doing OK, you just don't know what will be "realistic" a few decades out. Personally, I'm hoping to be able to download a medium-rare prime rib or a 1931 Chateau LaFite, and print it from my molecular re-assembler.

I predict that someday there will be eyedrops that correct your vision so you won't need glasses. And they will be very expensive.
Just be sure to wash your hands after you use the sea-shells before you grab the eye drops.

I predict that someday there will be eyedrops that correct your vision so you won't need glasses. And they will be very expensive.
And made of self-assembling nano bots that adjust the curvature of the liquid in order to warp the image into a sharp focus. Programmed with wifi, tech punky hackers then make unsuspecting victims go blind or worse when they send directions to the liquid that harm your eyeballs.

In other news those same hackers cause 100,000 vehicle accidents simultaneously when they hack the system plugged into driverless smartcars, wreaking havoc across the globe as the weakining humans place all their trust in A.I. and hand over the keys to their lives in trade for seemless interconnected trust.

I will be in my log cabin, heavily armed, waiting for zombiegeddon.

I will be in my log cabin, heavily armed, waiting for zombiegeddon.
You should get a head start.