Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I saw this at a friend's "Monty Python Party" - but we didn't pay that much attention... It's not very good.. Only have so much time, thousands of hours I'd rather spend watching. Hell, I might watch Patton again (I have plans at 10pm) while I kill time. The show was hit or miss for me...

San Andreas (2015)

Well it wasn't ****, which was a relief. It's weird I can't hate movies starring The Rock because he is just so likable. He still needs to work on his emotional chops, there is a certain scene in here that felt very forced. Other than that him and the rest of the cast was alright. I am one of those people that didn't hate 2012 like most did, it was an okay Disaster movie with obviously errors and such but I enjoy those movies purely for the spectacle. Obviously this movie is much better than 2012. For one this movie was a little bit more realistic than 2012. (And I'm using that term loosely) Nothing special but not crap either.

Freebie and the Bean (1974)

Raucous action-buddy-cop-comedy, starring James Caan (Freebie) and Alan Arkin (the Bean), who go to any lengths to get their guy. They'll chase 'em down on foot, in car, on motorcycle, running into every car in the way, damaging property, driving the wrong way down the highway, crashing their car into the third story of an apartment building, chasing another car into a parade where the bad guy runs into band members, causing traffic pileups and crashes, all in the name of getting their guy.

WARNING: spoilers below
They confront a killer in the men's room while he's sitting on the toilet and when they see he has a gun, open up on him with four guns, riddling the door with holes and collapsing the door on his corpse. It's amazing that their bosses let this slide but that's part of the fun. One of the bosses is holding a card he ain't showing so he lets Freebie and Bean go out of their way to get the job done.

There is an attempt at something bittersweet near the end that ends up being another chance at hilarity and it succeeds. This movie never stops moving and Caan and Arkin are almost like a married couple, bickering all the way through, while obviously being the best of friends. Good, never-boring 70's fun. Loved it!

Unregistered User

In a Lonely Place (1950)

Thats 2 great films in 2 days!! I'm not sure it reaches the same heights that Rififi did for me but its close. And Bogie is just as good here as he is in Casablanca.

Welcome to the human race...
Enter the Void -

I think I'm going to have a lot to say about this when I get around to reviewing it, but for right now consider this an ambivalent 2.5 and not an indifferent 2.5.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Inside Out

Easily the most depressing Pixar film since Toy Story 3.

I don't know. It was well made but not very likable. Maybe I had the wrong expectations going in, I thought it was going to be funny. There was the odd sly adult joke which I appreciated, and I liked the glimpses into other characters' heads (but I wish there had been more of that).

Mardaani (2014) - Pradeep Sarkar
An Indian movie about human trafficking that appears to be be well thought of as far as I can tell ... but I thought it was terrible. It seemed like it was trying to be a gritty Hollywood crime movie but it was overly manipulative with a terrible script that was full of lines that were really just there to explain what was going on to the viewer. It is all topped off by an ending that I assume was meant to be somewhat "positive" with the woman who had been kidnapped exacting their revenge but it ended up being really unpleasant. Overall, this is just bad.

Pretty good. A dark and realistic tale of life in a rural town in the deep south. The first good Nicolas Cage film in at least 10 years.

Very good movie!! I enjoy it a lot and Nic Cage is great in it.

Batman & Robin (1997) - Joel Schumacher
Schumacher's decision to incorporate the tone of the TV series into a modern Batman film will obviously go down in history as one of the worst ever but I thought it was worth pointing out that Uma Thurman was the only one who seemed to actually get it - she was great and was the only worthwhile part of the film. Everything else was rubbish.

^Agree with Derek... even though I hate a lot of Cage's movies, that one is pretty great.

I just watched It Follows (2014). By far one of the creepiest movies I've seen in a long time... and the soundtrack is so perfect in building the atmosphere.
7/10

Intolerance (1916) - DW Griffith
I don't really know how to rate a film like this. Sure, it's hugely influential and was ahead of its time but I'm in no position to really judge those things. So, I just rate films according to how much I like them. This is a collection of four stories about intolerance taken from different periods in history. It looks great and is truly an epic but it was way too long and two of the stories weren't particularly interesting. It's place in history makes it "great" but for me personally it was just "good".