Zotis' Upcoming Top List

→ in
Tools    

It's still under construction and there are movies I want to watch before I finish my list. I've been working on this for a long time and thinking about how exactly to do it. When I start I'm planning on posting one movie a day with a review. On that day I will watch the movie before writing my review. Some of these movies I haven't watched in a long time, so after watching them I may bump them up or down, and at the end I'll post the final draft of my list based on the reflections of having recently watched them all. I'm aiming for 150 films, so this project should keep me pretty busy for about four or five months. Actually probably six months if you include the movies I want to watch before I start.

One thing I want to mention is this, my top 10 list beside my avatar is not my real top 10 list. It's just a few of my favorites. So my actual top 10 may still be something of a surprise.

So for this thread I want to discuss genres, actors, directors, decades, and individual years and see what kind of possible contenders some of you guys may be able to recommend to me. I'm going to update this first post with my To Watch list, and I will watch all of the movies on it before starting my final top list. The titles in blue have been watched.

TO WATCH

The Elephant Man (1980) by David Lynch, starring Anthony Hopkins
The Fly (1986) by David Cronenberg, starring Jeff Goldbloom and Geena Davis
Philosophy of a Knife (2008) by Andre Iskanov
Manhattan (1979) by Woody Allen, starring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, and Meryl Streep
To the Wonder (2012) by Terrence Malick, starring Ben Affleck and Olga Kurylenko
M (1931) by Fritz Lang
Whispering Corridors IV: Voice (2005) by Choi Ik-hwan
Cannibal Holocaust (1980) by Ruggero Deodato
Inferno (1980) by Dario Argento
Zombie (1979) by Lucio Fulci
Nosferatu (1922) by F.W. Murnau
Red Beard (1965) by Akira Kurasawa, starring Toshiro Mifune
Vampyr (1932) by Carl Theodore Dreyer
Siegfried (1924) by Fritz Lang
Kriemhild's Revenge (1924) by Fritz Lang
Häxan (1922) by Benjamin Christensen
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) by Wallace Worsley
The Phantom Carriage (1921) by Victor Sjöström
Stalker (1979) by Andrei Tarkovsky

I'd kill for some recommendations from you justin. Of course I highly value your opinions about films, and consider you to have superb taste.

Let the night air cool you off
Well shucks. This is a lot of pressure. I am still in that phase where I try to devour as much as I can, so I feel kind of odd being the one that gives out the recommendations instead of receiving them.

Get your hands on as much Kurosawa, Bergman, Godard (from the 60s,) and Bunuel as you can. I am still in the process of watching their films, but I've never been disappointed by them.

Maybe we can exchange PMs sometime about more specific recommendations. My watchlist is massive right now, much bigger than the list of films I've seen. I get a lot of recs from guys like Swan, Mr Minio, bluedeed, Guaporense, Used Future, and a bunch of others. They all have interesting taste and offer something different. They've all seen more movies than I have too.

I will probably watch one or two more Kurosawa films before starting my list, but I have seen most of his that really peak my interest. Of course I plan on watching the rest of his films at some point, but you know my to watch list has just gotten enormously big and hard to keep track of. Bergman is definitely a director I've got my eye on, and Godard I have been hearing about him but need to give him a closer look. I'm not familiar with Bunuel though, so I'll check him out.

I scrapped Visitor Q after 48 minutes. I'm getting more mixed feelings about Takashi Miike. There are still a few more of his movies I want to check out before doing this list though.

I added Inferno and Cannibal Holocaust to my To Watch list. They've been on my extended to watch list for a while, but I just bought them at a video store so they're getting bumped up to tonight!

Cannibal Holocaust

I haven't seen Inferno yet, I should probably get on that seeing as I love Suspiria.

Have you seen any films by Lucio Fulci? I'd recommend Zombie and also The Beyond.

I tried to buy Zombie, they had the case out and it didn't have the little card in it that meant it was sold out... but turned out it was sold out after all. I'm going to add that to this To Watch list right now actually. I haven't seen The Beyond either, but my British friend has been trying to get me to watch it. I guess I'll have to, heh heh... I've yet to see any of Fulci's work.

So I thought my computer could play blu-ray but apparently it can't. I'm going to wait and rent it from somewhere rather than watch it online because I want to see it in high quality. Cannibal Holocaust was interesting, I liked it, but it's not going to make my top list. I actually liked it a bit more than Cannibal Ferox. Although I think Cannibal Ferox had better acting.

For tonight I just picked up Nosferatu (1922).

Nosferatu is good. I'd also put forward The Phantom Of The Opera (1925) and Haxan (1922) for silent horror.

Not really a horror, but The Hunchback of Notre Dame is good, too.

Victor Sjostrom's The Phantom Carriage is my favorite silent film, it's not really a horror film but it has some horror elements to it.

I was just looking at Haxan actually, it does look interesting. The Phantom of the Opera... I think I may just put it on my extended to watch list. It's a pretty familiar story, and one that has never really interested me a whole lot. I'm sure it will be a good classic, so I do intend to watch it at some point. The original The Hunchback of Notre Dame is also something I want to see, so I think I will add it. Thanks for reminding me of it.

The Phantom Carriage sounds interesting, I'll add it. And thanks for your recommendations too mark f, I'll check out the trailers and see how I feel about them.

Do you guys know of a great old original Sherlock Holmes movie? I've always wanted to watch the original. I know some of the old Sherlock Holmes movies are supposed to be quite exceptional.

I don't know that I'd call any Sherlock Holmes film I've seen exceptional. However, if this guy is Holmes, then it's 'proper' Holmes.

Though I do like Peter Cushing in the role, too.