The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Patton (1970) Best Picture, Ebert - Only thing I know about this is that's a war movie, which tells me I'll probably like it!
Things to Come (1936) OFCS Sci-Fi - Never heard of it.Curious!
Carrie (1976) Thrills, horror, 70's, horror 2019 - Always made me curious, now I'll finally watch it.
The Battle of Algiers (1966) Ebert, 60's - Was on my watchlist for the 60s list, didn't have time to get to it! That changes now!
Millennium Actress (2001) Animations - never heard of it, and anime isn't usually my thing, but let's see!
Platoon (1986) 100 Years, thrills, Best Picture, 80's - I know, I know! Whoever nominated this must have reacted like: what??? he never watched Platoon??? Thanks stranger, will now
Rio Bravo (1959) Westerns, Ebert, 50's - Another classic that has been for too long on the watchlist.
Harold and Maude (1971) Laughs, passions - I recognize the film but I have no ideia what's it about!
The Abyss (1989) OFCS Sci-Fi - Same as Harold and Maude.
Elevator to the Gallows (1958) Noirs - It's a Noir from the 50s, that's usually enough to become a favorite.
Naked Lunch (1991) 90's - Same as Harold and Maude and The Abyss
Bicycle Thieves (1948) Sight & Sound, Ebert, 40's - A classic from the Italian cinema that I should have watched already.
Fitzcarraldo (1982) Ebert - I don't think I've ever watched anything from Herzog, so i'm curious!

CaptainT watches-

Singin' in the Rain (1952) 100 years, laughs, passions, musicals, sight & sound, top 100, Ebert, 50's
Rango (2011) Animations
Mulholland Dr. (2001) Noirs, Millennium, Ebert
Akira (1988) OFCS Sci-Fi, 80's, comics, animations, MoFo SciFi
Jaws (1975) 100 years, thrills, horror, top 100, Ebert, 70's
The Iron Giant (1999) OFCS Sci-Fi, animations, MoFo SciFi
The Maltese Falcon (1941) 100 years, thrills, noirs, Ebert, 40's
Spirited Away (2001) Top 100, Millennium, Ebert, animations
Pulp Fiction (1994) 100 years, thrills, Film4's 50, Cannes', top 100, Ebert, 90's
Waking Life (2001) Ebert, animations
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) Cannes', 60's
How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
The Long Goodbye (1973) Noirs, Ebert, 70's
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) 100 years, cheers, top 100, 60's
Yay, It's nomination time!
My first thoughts:

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - I usually love musicals and this is a classic, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one!

Rango (2011) - I've never seen an animated western film so this will definitely be interesting!

Mulholland Dr. (2001 - I don't know much about this film, besides that it's rated very highly by a lot of people. Must be a good sign

Akira (1988) - I have barely seen any other Anime films, besides Your Name which is one of my favorites. It looks like a very cool film!

Jaws (1975) - A classic that I've been wanting to see for a long time!

The Iron Giant (1999) - I've seen pictures of this film before and I liked the way that the robot looked. This seems like a happy animation film, that I'll enjoy a lot!

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - The oldest film on my list. I don't know anything about it yet, so I wonder what I'll think of it.

Sprited Away (2001) - This film (along with a lot of other Studio Ghibli films) recently arrived to Netflix for me and it's been on my watchlist since then. A great pick!

Pulp Fiction (1994) - Another classic, which I've wanted to see forever. The only Tarantino films I've seen are Kill Bill and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but I loved his style in those two and this is seen by many as his greatest so I'm expecting a lot from it!

Waking Life (2001) - Never heard of this one, but the poster looks interesting!

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) - I know that this film is one of Citizen's favorites and that it looks amazing. I've seen a few pictures of it and I think that I'll love the visual style of this.

How To Train Your Dragon (2010) - The How To Train Your Dragon trilogy never really looked interesting to me, but judging by its placement on the Animation list I might be pleasantly surprised.

The Long Goodbye (1973) - Another one that I don't know anything about, but I've seen 0! films from the noir list so at least it will be a good start towards that.

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) - I've read the book and loved the story. I don't know if that will make the film better or worse for me though.

The total list of nominations looks really good. I'm looking forward to watching all of them
Time to which choose one to start with

Since I'm in quarantine, I'll alternate the western HoF with this one, and I might find some time to watch a few from other lists! I envy some people here... Getting to watch Pulp Fiction for the first time, or so many other masterpieces... Their lives are about to change and they have no idea

The trick is not minding
Since I don’t discriminate with genres, my selections picked for me are perfectly balanced in regards to decades and genre.
Great job guys

Question to @cricket: should we reveal who nominated what?

CaptainT who has dropped out of Hall's in the past should and I think it's everyones choice but making blind noms here was what we agreed on.

Interesting, wide-ranging group of nominations. I'm most excited for Hud. I remember @cricket specifically mentioning me in his write-up for it a few years ago, saying it was a movie that suited my tastes well. I've had it on my DVR for quite some time now and had already planned on watching it for the upcoming Westerns Countdown.

Also looking forward to Naked, which is one of Swan's favorites. I'm usually drawn to dark, nihilistic films, and Naked seems to fit that bill pretty well. Deep Red has been on my watchlist for years. I've only seen three films by Murnau, but they're all masterpieces, so hopefully The Last Laugh maintains that same high level of quality.

I was hoping @ahwell might nominate Amadeus, as I know it's his second favorite movie and it's a highly regarded film that I've been meaning to watch for a long time. Maybe it'll help me garner a greater respect for classical music and prevent me from ranking ahwell's song nominations so low in music tournaments.

Yellow Sky wasn't on my radar, but I see that it's directed by the always reliable William A. Wellman, and stars Gregory Peck and Richard Widmark, so that bodes well for my enjoyment. I've become a huge fan of Widmark after recently witnessing his brilliant performances in Night and the City and Kiss of Death. I actually just watched another random movie from the Westerns list, The Law and Jake Wade, solely because it starred Widmark as the villain.

I've seen embarrassingly few documentaries, so I was hoping that people might pull a few nominations from that list. I don't know anything about the subject of Dear Zachary, but I've heard that it's very powerful. I don't know anything about Pepe le Moko, either, but it's fun to say. I've seen the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123. Hopefully the original is far superior. I've also seen the remake of Funny Games.

The Illusionist (2010) has never interested me. (I'm assuming this might be @Miss Vicky's nomination, since she loves animation; I was personally hoping that she'd nominate Hedwig and the Angry Inch for me.) I haven't liked anything I've seen from Guy Ritchie, so I'm pretty skeptical about Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I'm also skeptical about The Sound of Music, although I'm glad it's nominated due to its classic status. I consider myself a fan of musicals (a far cry from a few years ago when I would've cited the musical as my least favorite genre), but I seem to prefer the dance-heavy choreography of Busby Berkeley or the tap-dancing magic of Rogers/Astaire over musicals that rely mostly on song.

It's also very interesting to see what has been nominated for others. I see several of my "plan B's" nominated for the same participants. I also see some films that I think people are going to hate based on what I know of their taste. Should be fun!

Seconds
Dredd
Strange Days
The Fifth Element

The Howling
Tremors
Frailty

Wasn’t expecting so much sci-fi and horror. Guess it’s everyone trying to appeal to my tastes? Anyway half of these I’m familiar with and half of them I’m not. Can’t wait to see what they’re like.

Wreck It Ralph: I can only guess who nominated this one . I’d say it’s been awhile since I’ve seen a more modern animated movie, so I say I’ll enjoy myself.

The Man wHo Shot Liberty Valance
Stalag 17

I like my oldies.

Missing
Sling Blade

Dramas I’ve never heard of before. These two actually look really good.

Fail Safe
Oh my God, I've wanted to see this one for AGES! Thanks whoever picked this one.

Question to @cricket: should we reveal who nominated what?
Some people seem to want to wait until the very end before revealing who nominated what, and that's fine, but I worry that it might discourage discussion along the way since people might not want to "show their hand," so to speak.

Personally, I figure it makes the most sense if people guess who nominated a particular film when they post a write-up for it. Then, if they wish, that person can step forward and lay claim to the nomination and maybe explain why they chose that particular film.

The Illusionist (2010) has never interested me. (I'm assuming this might be @Miss Vicky's nomination, since she loves animation; I was personally hoping that she'd nominate Hedwig and the Angry Inch for me.)
You should watch Hedwig anyway. I think you’d love it.

Also, I haven’t got a clue who nominated what and it’s probably a good thing that I don’t know.

2 hour and 39 minute Stanley Kubrick movie...

Also, I haven’t got a clue who nominated what and it’s probably a good thing that I don’t know.

well it's only that long because of all the musical numbers

Ahahaha! If there's a Kubrick movie you might enjoy is that one. But yeah, it's a very risky choice

I thought my choice for you was a risky one, but it might end up being the safest

Interesting, wide-ranging group of nominations. I'm most excited for Hud. I remember @cricket specifically mentioning me in his write-up for it a few years ago, saying it was a movie that suited my tastes well. I've had it on my DVR for quite some time now and had already planned on watching it for the upcoming Westerns Countdown.

Also looking forward to Naked, which is one of Swan's favorites. I'm usually drawn to dark, nihilistic films, and Naked seems to fit that bill pretty well. Deep Red has been on my watchlist for years. I've only seen three films by Murnau, but they're all masterpieces, so hopefully The Last Laugh maintains that same high level of quality.

I was hoping @ahwell might nominate Amadeus, as I know it's his second favorite movie and it's a highly regarded film that I've been meaning to watch for a long time. Maybe it'll help me garner a greater respect for classical music and prevent me from ranking ahwell's song nominations so low in music tournaments.

Yellow Sky wasn't on my radar, but I see that it's directed by the always reliable William A. Wellman, and stars Gregory Peck and Richard Widmark, so that bodes well for my enjoyment. I've become a huge fan of Widmark after recently witnessing his brilliant performances in Night and the City and Kiss of Death. I actually just watched another random movie from the Westerns list, The Law and Jake Wade, solely because it starred Widmark as the villain.

I've seen embarrassingly few documentaries, so I was hoping that people might pull a few nominations from that list. I don't know anything about the subject of Dear Zachary, but I've heard that it's very powerful. I don't know anything about Pepe le Moko, either, but it's fun to say. I've seen the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123. Hopefully the original is far superior. I've also seen the remake of Funny Games.

The Illusionist (2010) has never interested me. (I'm assuming this might be @Miss Vicky's nomination, since she loves animation; I was personally hoping that she'd nominate Hedwig and the Angry Inch for me.) I haven't liked anything I've seen from Guy Ritchie, so I'm pretty skeptical about Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I'm also skeptical about The Sound of Music, although I'm glad it's nominated due to its classic status. I consider myself a fan of musicals (a far cry from a few years ago when I would've cited the musical as my least favorite genre), but I seem to prefer the dance-heavy choreography of Busby Berkeley or the tap-dancing magic of Rogers/Astaire over musicals that rely mostly on song.

It's also very interesting to see what has been nominated for others. I see several of my "plan B's" nominated for the same participants. I also see some films that I think people are going to hate based on what I know of their taste. Should be fun!
I did NOT nominate Amadeus for you, but I’m so glad it was! Yes you better give first place to all my classical noms now

I definitely didn’t give you a good nom, but at least I didn’t nominate you Eyes Wide Shut.

The only nomination I bet I know for sure is Paprika, it’s got to be Miss Vicky... but then again I didn’t give Amadeus to Spaulding.