Movie Tab II

Tools    

Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky,1966) - 10/10 An absolutely amazing film. This film portrays the life of the 15th century painter perfectly. An ambiguous masterpiece. I highly recommend it.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Tarkovsky sure is (was) the ****.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Solaris is on FilmFour at the moment...

(As part of a Clooney-themed night. Boo)

---

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean - Fun shaggy bear story from the Wild West. Stands on its hindlegs, and scratches a few fleas. Revels in its absurdities.

Tis good.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Tarkovsky sure is (was) the ****.
Indeed! Certainly my favorite director.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Have you seen Stalker and The Mirror?
I own both. The Mirror is my all-time favorite film.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing

Silly title, standard doc, but with some some earnest opinions and insights on display. The better talking-heads blew most of the fluff away.

Silent Hill-The movie was great and pretty sick too.Everithing was on level(effects that is)and was pretty decent for a horror movie that came out in 2006.But still they could do better(more creatures) so I'll give it a 4/5

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Waking Life

The second Linklater I've seen (third if you count School of Rock, but his hollywood films are of a different category than his more personal work) and I really respect the level of artistic freedom he's maintained by running his own studio and therefore being able to make risky and creative movies. Not to mention his knack for ingeniously realistic dialogue.

Le Corbeau

An excellent film! Clouzot does a fine job of escalating the suspense. I highly recommend it.

A system of cells interlinked
The Descent (Marshall, 2006) - Simply one of the most riveting thrillers I have seen in a while. Claustrophobic, intense, and surprisingly well acted. A TAD over the top here and there with the gore, but overall I came out of the theater feeling this one. Well done! I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

Contact (Zemekis, 1997) - One of my favorite Sci-fi pieces. I love this movie. Yes, it has a couple of cheese moments, but they simply don't bother me...

"Celestial event...no...no words...poetry...they should have sent a poet..."

That scene brings me to tears each time I see it....

The Last Picture Show (1971 - Peter Bogdanovich)

This film is perfect...

Showgirls (1995 - Paul Verhoeven)

I've never seen this one from start to finish. And not this time either, but at least I finished this time. What a bad film. It's so bad it's actually interesting.... but the crappiness wins.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Sedai
The Descent (Marshall, 2006) - Simply one of the most riveting thrillers I have seen in a while. Claustrophobic, intense, and surprisingly well acted. A TAD over the top here and there with the gore, but overall I came out of the theater feeling this one. Well done! I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.
Neil Marshall is good at what he does. Bleak grim horror. Have you seen Dog Soldiers? I hated it. But The Descent i liked alot more. His next project is a film called Doomsday. I dont think the title needs that much explaning. Im definatly looking forward to this one though.
Originally Posted by Sedai
Contact (Zemekis, 1997) - One of my favorite Sci-fi pieces. I love this movie. Yes, it has a couple of cheese moments, but they simply don't bother me...

"Celestial event...no...no words...poetry...they should have sent a poet..."

That scene brings me to tears each time I see it....
I love Contact. And that whole scene you mention is brilliant. This film has also got one of my favourite shots as well, when young Elle is runnng towards the bathroom cabinet containing her dads life-saving pills and the camera somehow moves into the mirror. Its an excellant bit of editing.

Lady in the Water (M.Night Shyamalan, 2006)

I have been dying to see this film since i heard of its beginnings. Being an uber M.Night follower i knew i was going to see it no matter what the critics said, and unfortunatly theyve had quite alot to say about it.

I liked it. But id say its my least favourite. The plot was too confusing. The whole back story of why the water nymph was there and their role in the universe was way too detailed and not explained enough. The script was by no means up to par as his previous releases either. Even though Signs and The Village were never greeted with praise, i still think the scripts are brilliant, with some truly excellant lines and moments (Mostly the childhood stories from Signs and almost all of the lines from Howards character in Village.) However there are no stand out moments from this script apart from the glimmer of one here and there.
The other thing that bothers me is M.Nights role he plays. As his films have continued he has worringly been giving himself larger and more crucial roles. Especially in Signs. And this time around he has given himself the role of a character that saves the world! You just cant help viewing this without thinking of how highly M.Night must regard himself, and his acting abilities.

Anywhoo, i still quite liked it. But not alot. The potential was great. The result was not.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think Dog Soldiers is ace, bilbby! Not as polished as The Descent, true, which did what it was supposed to do damn well - shout "it's behind you!" at the screen on more than one occasion...

V For Vendetta (2005, James McTeigue)

2.5/5

Pity, really. I missed Alan Moore's allagory when reading this first as a kid and the film seems to have done the same, preferring to twist it into some sort of post 9/11 dystopia than a post-Thatcher grim fandango.

Clumsy, then, but stylish...

...and Blibby! Your dad's in this!

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Tacitus
...and Blibby! Your dad's in this!

Oh Daddy Fry! How i miss his knowledgable ways! Ever since getting his big hollywood career he's brushed aside the little people. Damn him and his giant tasty brain!

Originally Posted by Tacitus
V For Vendetta (2005, James McTeigue)

2.5/5

Clumsy, then, but stylish...
...but in a clumsy way.

...I didn't like it either.