Movie Tab II

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
A State Of Mind (2004, Daniel Gordan)

4/5

A British made documentary centering on two young North Korean girls' dream to be a gymnastic part of their country's Mass Games and, thus, good Communists.

Pretty darned good actually, revealing and refreshingly free from partiality.

Hoop Dreams with lycra and rationing...

Happiness of the Katurkuris 3/5
Ummm.......

In the Beginning...
Dark Water (Salles, 2005)

A pretty good character-driven drama that never needed the supernatural angle to be memorable and engaging. It might have worked, but the "twist" at the end was brainless and pointless.

I am having a nervous breakdance
John Q (2002 - Nick Cassavetes)

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Revenant
Happiness of the Katurkuris 3/5
Ummm.......
Yes! What an awesome film. ****ing love Miike.

A system of cells interlinked
Dolls (Kitano)

2001 : A Space Odyssey (Kubrick)

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The Gold Rush - 5/5

The Vanishing 3.4/5 a bit choppy, but very intriguing and intelligently told suspense tale

Wild Reeds - 5/5 french flick, next to impossible to get ahold of, but this one is worth tracking down. One of the most beautifully shot, perfectly crafted coming of age stories I've ever seen.

Life is Beautiful - 4.5/5 a comedy, despite the subject matter. I loved the look of this and Roberto Begnini is amazing.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
The Vanishing 3.4/5 a bit choppy, but very intriguing and intelligently told suspense tale.

The original or the remake? I suspect the Americanized remake with Kiefer Sutherland and Jeff Bridges, yeah? Get a hold of the 1988 original version, Spoorloos (The Vanishing). The director got a rare opportunity to remake his own movie, but the second take is very standard and nowhere near the level of creepy and brilliant as the original. Nowhere near.

It's available on R1 DVD in the Criterion Collection.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Put me in your pocket...
Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) ~ Still like it and parts of the soundtrack are still with me. When my daughter heard this movie mentioned on VH1's "I love the 70's" she wanted to see it (Yay! Thanks Gilbert Gottfried!). I've loved Carl Anderson for awhile (I have one of his tape's) so it was great to see him again as Judas. I forgot how powerful he was in JCS. And of course, I loved Ted Neeley...aside from being a 'handsome' Jesus....he's no slouch in the vocal department either. My only complaint is that I wasn't crazy about the gal who play Mary this time around, but still thought it t'was very cool.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
The Gold Rush - 5/5

Life is Beautiful - 4.5/5 a comedy, despite the subject matter. I loved the look of this and Roberto Begnini is amazing.
I'm really glad you liked these. The Gold Rush is among my all-time fav's...and Begnini is amazing. I went on a Beginini kick after that movie. He's so daggone likeable.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

The original or the remake? I suspect the Americanized remake with Kiefer Sutherland and Jeff Bridges, yeah? Get a hold of the 1988 original version, Spoorloos (The Vanishing). The director got a rare opportunity to remake his own movie, but the second take is very standard and nowhere near the level of creepy and brilliant as the original. Nowhere near.

It's available on R1 DVD in the Criterion Collection.
Nope, I saw the Dutch one. Didn't even know there was a remake til after I'd seen the old one. I agree it's creepy and brilliant. My helf-point off was for one simple thing: there are flashbacks that are hard to distinguish from 'current' time, because it's only 3 years earlier and everyone looks the same. In some, of course you can tell where you are time-wise because the girl's still there. But there were other times when it was unclear. It's one of the best of it's kind I've seen, though.

Annie - yeah, both were the definition of charm. I was pleasantly surprised by The Gold Rush. I hadn't heard much about it and parts of it were amazingly poignant and it made me laugh out loud. I'm glad I saw that so soon before Life is Beautiful- the extras for the newer one said Chaplin was a major inspiration for Begnini.

Poseidon-The movie was nothing much just the next "saving everyone mumbo jumbo hero *****".The only good thing was the CG and that was what i saw of the movie,oh and people dying which was kind of depressing
I'll rate it 4/5 for CG
1/5 for the story

there's a frog in my snake oil
My Name is Joe - Haven't been exposed to much Loachian emoto-realism, but this stuff cut good. Class performances and story all told. I was carried along by almost every battering wave.

*Note: Beware, all who wonder near, tho. The dialect can be like molasses eating beer *

To kill a Mockingbird- 5/5 Great film, the only film to make me cry.

You ready? You look ready.
Clerks 2- Crap.
Apollo 13- The good days of NASA.
The Rock- I've always loved watching a movie involving Alcatraz Island.
V for Vendetta- A good look at what a government can do if people do nothing.
Switchback- Danny Glover is good, but he couldn't save this film. (However, I love it.)
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Golgot
My Name is Joe - Haven't been exposed to much Loachian emoto-realism, but this stuff cut good. Class performances and story all told. I was carried along by almost every battering wave.

*Note: Beware, all who wonder near, tho. The dialect can be like molasses eating beer *
Now go and watch Raining Stones.

Beware Ricky Tomlinson's arse though...