The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
*found it!*

Yeah. It was just a different trailer of the same game.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64285...ler/index.html

@Golgot
@Yoda

Thank you both for helping narrow this down and entertaining my obsession

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
There is a sequence like that in The Evil Within II. When exploring the City Hall area, which is a large office environment, but at times feels like an old hotel, reality keeps changing as the antagonist starts manipulating it. Corridors, rooms and stairways appear and disappear, paintings change, and there are several areas lit in red.

That was the one (from Sedai's post) I was racking my brain for, because I thought that was definitely it once the others were ruled out. Glad you found it, though!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah. Pretty amazing how similar the environments in those screen shots match my memories. I really can't remember if Control was linked here or if I followed a link FROM here and stumbled on it. Looks great though! It doesn't look like it's out yet though. Hm. Figures lol. I'm treading water in my game time lately. The few that look the most inspired for me haven't been released!
  • Control
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • The Sinking City

Has anyone played Nioh or Monster Hunter: World? I'm wondering if those might fill the void until the others are out.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah. Pretty amazing how similar the environments in those screen shots match my memories. I really can't remember if Control was linked here or if I followed a link FROM here and stumbled on it. Looks great though! It doesn't look like it's out yet though. Hm. Figures lol. I'm treading water in my game time lately. The few that look the most inspired for me haven't been released!
  • Control
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • The Sinking City

Has anyone played Nioh or Monster Hunter: World? I'm wondering if those might fill the void until the others are out.
I watched a buddy of mine on Twitch play Monster Hunter: World for about 30 mins. Him and his group were battling some pretty difficult monsters that seemed to take quite a bit of group coordination to take down. i am unsure where in the progression they were, though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
  • Control
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • The Sinking City

I want to get into Nioh. A Souls-like from the team behind the Ninja Gaiden games? What's not to like?

I think I played it too soon after Dark Souls 3 though, and fell off around the second boss. That game needs a revisit.

I enjoyed Monster Hunter World more than any other MH game I've played. I'd only previously played the first one, though, on PS2.

Good fun, but the online stuff is mind-bogglingly obtuse, and I just didn't find whacking those huge monsters with huge weapons that satisfying.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Monster hunter looks good but looks like it needs commitment. Patience and multiple hours.

Think I’m going to pick up blood borne tomorrow. I’m sure it also needs commitment but the mechanics I believe will be familiar to DS albeit less defensive.

Have you guys finished this game and like it?

Monster hunter looks good but looks like it needs commitment. Patience and multiple hours.

Think I’m going to pick up blood borne tomorrow. I’m sure it also needs commitment but the mechanics I believe will be familiar to DS albeit less defensive.

Liked it a lot but definitely didn't fall in love with the combat style. The world, however, is one of the most evocatively designed that I've seen. It's stunning.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Was looking at some of the machine learning talks coming up at GDC. Found it kinda intriguing that about half of them weren't for improving game design, tech or gameplay, but for making sure players obeyed the rules

Plus the more dubious end of player-steering like...

See how Machine Learning can predict when players will leave the game, how much they will spend, and which items they will purchase next.

Liked it a lot but definitely didn't fall in love with the combat style. The world, however, is one of the most evocatively designed that I've seen. It's stunning.
Good to hear I’m going to pick it up. Re the combat - do you not like original DS combat as well or is Bloodborne a big departure from it?

Good to hear I’m going to pick it up. Re the combat - do you not like original DS combat as well or is Bloodborne a big departure from it?
I love Dark Souls combat but just never got the hang of Bloodbourne's parry system. I thinki the 30fps lock didn't help either - I was used to Dark Souls 2 and 3 at 60fps by the time I got round to Bloodbourne.

I love Dark Souls combat but just never got the hang of Bloodbourne's parry system. I thinki the 30fps lock didn't help either - I was used to Dark Souls 2 and 3 at 60fps by the time I got round to Bloodbourne.
Ok...damn....thought it was going to be buttery smooth 60fps.

Actually I don’t think I’ll be too bothered about the frame rate. I checked and rdr2 is also 30. I’ve just come from a Xbox 360 also. Picking it up tomorrow!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Okay, guys. Need suggestions. DON'T LAUGH, you serious gamers!

I love the look and feel of meandering around a world map such as Skyrim, but let's face it: I'm not a fan of shoot-em-ups or even ax-em-ups. I don't mind an occasional bad guy fight but I much prefer the exploration and interaction.

Is there ANYTHING out there that's open world but doesn't involve getting attacked by random wolves and bandits, let alone Big Bad Guys all over the place?

Okay, you can stop laughing now.

Is there ANYTHING out there that's open world but doesn't involve getting attacked by random wolves and bandits, let alone Big Bad Guys all over the place?
Ass Creed Origin's tourist mode maybe?

The Forest also has a peaceful mode (definitely turn that on....) which allows you to just craft and survive in its pretty (but small / pretty empty) map.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ass Creed Origin's tourist mode maybe?

The Forest also has a peaceful mode (definitely turn that on....) which allows you to just craft and survive in its pretty (but small / pretty empty) map.
Wow! Just bought it. Looks like exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. THANK YOU!

Wow! Just bought it. Looks like exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. THANK YOU!
No worries

Always thought it was an intriguing idea when they first floated. I've never been a fan of the 'annual identikit' approach Ubi took towards Ass Creed, but they always laid on the pseudo-history with style. Looks a good use of the world.