IMDb's Top 25 Films of 2010: rate & discuss

Tools    

2010 has been one of the worst years for film. Very weak.

There hasn't been 25 good films I've seen this year. Here are the best of the ones I have seen.

- Book of Eli
- Extraordinary Measures
- Edge of Darkness
- Alice In Wonderland
- Letters To God
- Oceans
- Robin Hood
- Shrek Forever After
- Toy Story 3
- The Expendables
- Machete
- Secretariat

I have a feeling True Grit will be the best film of the year once I see it. Looks incredible.

Worst Movie of the Year - Inception

Inception was a piece of garbage. Perfect example of Hollywood bulls**t trying to use special effects to make up for a sh***y story and poor acting. The kids seem to love it.

It has been a bad year, but I'm used to that now.

I think calling Inception the worst film of the year is a bit harsh. Especially when you've got Alice In Wonderland and Toy Story 3 (I won't even start on Machette, The Expendables and Robin Hood) on your list of the best. I will agree that it was overhyped and is much overrated, though.

There hasn't been 25 good films I've seen this year. Here are the best of the ones I have seen.

- Book of Eli
- Extraordinary Measures
- Edge of Darkness
- Alice In Wonderland
- Letters To God
- Oceans
- Robin Hood
- Shrek Forever After
- Toy Story 3
- The Expendables
- Machete
- Secretariat

I have a feeling True Grit will be the best film of the year once I see it. Looks incredible.

Inception was a piece of garbage. Perfect example of Hollywood bulls**t trying to use special effects to make up for a sh***y story and poor acting. The kids seem to love it.
Well of course you are wrong about Inception. How can it be Hollywood BS when it is nothing like any of the ordinary Hollywood films that are released. Story was more original than any of the films plots on your list and the acting was good as well as directing and cinematography. Kids ? More like most of the world my friend , Sorry if you disagree but alot of people love Inception because of how original the narrative was and it appealed to a mix audience.

lol @ Book of Eli, Extraordinary Measures, Edge of Darkness, Alice in Wonderland, Letters to God, Oceans, Robin Hood, Shrek, Toy Story, The Expendables, Machete, and Secretariat being better than Inception.

I don't think it was the worst film of the year by any means, there's loads of films itching to take that title (Expendables, Book Of Eli, Edge Of Darkness, Robin Hood, The Wolfman, Legion, Leap Year, Clash Of The Titans, From Paris With Love, hell even Tron).

However, Inception kinda blows. It's far too easy to follow for a film about dreams, which could have capitalized on that subject immensely but oh well. Too much exposition, some poor acting, sure the idea is original but I felt it was dumbed down incredibly because of a bloated script overall and making dreams, the most esoteric part of our life we experience, simple. 6.5/10

And am I alone in thinking True Grit looks completely overblown?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Of that list I've only seen Inception. Which was pretty good, although quite flawed, and I wonder if it would be top of many lists in any other year. I feel like it hasn't been a good year for movies; maybe that's just because I haven't seen that many, but on the other hand there aren't that many that have tempted me to go out and see them. The only other 2010 film I've seen that I'd give a positive rating to is I Love You Philip Morris.

Everyone else has already torn this quote to shreds, but I'll have at it, too: it's nothing like most Hollywood films. And its special effects are fairly minimal compared to most blockbusters; Christopher Nolan usually eschews them in favor of actual, physical set design. But it's a moot point, because the people who love it hardly ever cite the effects as a primary reason. And I think you might literally be the first person I've heard criticize the acting -- even among people who find it overhyped.

Like or don't like what you want; whatever. But these particular criticisms don't make a lick of sense to me. Not that you'll attempt to answer (let alone reconcile) any of this. Just needs to be said.

- Book of Eli
- Extraordinary Measures
- Edge of Darkness
- Alice In Wonderland
- Letters To God
- Oceans
- Robin Hood
- Shrek Forever After
- Toy Story 3
- The Expendables
- Machete
- Secretariat

Don't worry Gunny, I agree with you. When I saw this film at the cinema I was sighing all the way through. It was predictable, over hyped. When people come into my work and ask if I find this to be a good movie, I just can't lie to them and tell them I liked it, because I didn't. It isn't the worst movie I have seen, but it sure as hell isn't the best, and it will never be included in my top 10. I really wanted Nolan to redeem himself since I didn't like Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, but yeah he just fell short for me. And I know all you people who love the film will be reading my opinion and be thinking 'how dare she, clearly she didn't understand the film, so thats why she didn't like it'. No I understood it, but was bored. And since I am so sick of hearing people rave about how freakin' amazing this film is, I just had to finally voice my opinion on this film on these forums. If you don't like my opinion on the film, that is quite alright with me, I won't judge you for it, but don't judge me or anyone else on this site who felt the same way, you are not superior to us because you loved it, and we are not superior to you because we didn't.

Overall I think Nolan should put his ideas to tv, not to film, so then he can execute them all instead of cramming as much as he can into a two and a half hour long film. The cast was alright, but I wasn't overly impressed.

So write a reply and 'bash' my opinion, and give a million reasons why you like it, but eh you won't change my mind on this film.

I won't try to change your mind, because if somebody felt Christopher Nolan had to "redeem" himself after Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, then it's clear we're coming at storytelling and film making from vastly different perspectives to begin with.

As for whether or not you disliked it because you didn't understand it: I certainly can't say, since you haven't elaborated on what you think it's about or what happened in it. That said, I know some pretty smart people who I think had it all wrong after a single viewing, though some of them seem to have changed their mind after pondering it a bit more. So it's not much of an insult, necessarily, to suggest that maybe someone didn't "get" what it was trying to say or do.

Anyway, I can't speak for others but I certainly don't think anyone's "superior" for liking Inception. There are things about it on which reasonable people can disagree and there are sensible reasons not to love it. I just don't think pretending it's a typical effects-driven Hollywood blockbuster, or is poorly acted, are among these sensible reasons.

This is really happening
I really liked it. It's not nearly as amazing as many people say, but it's still a very good movie. Maybe the best of the year. But that's not saying much.

Don't worry Gunny, I agree with you. When I saw this film at the cinema I was sighing all the way through. It was predictable, over hyped. When people come into my work and ask if I find this to be a good movie, I just can't lie to them and tell them I liked it, because I didn't. It isn't the worst movie I have seen, but it sure as hell isn't the best, and it will never be included in my top 10. I really wanted Nolan to redeem himself since I didn't like Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, but yeah he just fell short for me. And I know all you people who love the film will be reading my opinion and be thinking 'how dare she, clearly she didn't understand the film, so thats why she didn't like it'. No I understood it, but was bored. And since I am so sick of hearing people rave about how freakin' amazing this film is, I just had to finally voice my opinion on this film on these forums. If you don't like my opinion on the film, that is quite alright with me, I won't judge you for it, but don't judge me or anyone else on this site who felt the same way, you are not superior to us because you loved it, and we are not superior to you because we didn't.

Overall I think Nolan should put his ideas to tv, not to film, so then he can execute them all instead of cramming as much as he can into a two and a half hour long film. The cast was alright, but I wasn't overly impressed.

So write a reply and 'bash' my opinion, and give a million reasons why you like it, but eh you won't change my mind on this film.
Agreed, Oracle. Inception wasn't the worst movie ever created but I certainly felt it was very bad. People are making this film out to be as momumental as the moon landing. It was just very weak all the way around from the screenplay to the acting.

I need to add two films to my list for 2010.

- Salt
- True Grit

I watched Salt last night. This was so much better than I thought it was going to be. It turned out to be an excellent film. Probably the best action flick of 2010. I think one of the reasons I thought this was going to be disappointing was because of Wanted. I thought Wanted was just mediocre and when I saw the Salt trailer I thought this was going to be much of the same - just another mindless Hollywood action flick. I was so wrong. I'm excited about the possible upcoming sequels. I hope they make it a franchise like they're talking about.

The other film I need to add is True Grit. Rada and I went to see this today after we did the family thing. I was blown away. Hands down the best film of 2010 that I've seen. This film better get some Oscar nominations. Jeff Bridges was phenominal as Rooster Cogburn and should definitely get a nomination for Best Actor. I also would like this to at least get a nomination for Best Picture. One of the best remakes I've ever seen. Probably my favorite Coen Brothers film. They really out-did themselves with this one.