Arcanis' Top 100 Films

→ in
Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
I started taking stock of my favorite films last year, ranking every film that I've seen that I rated an 8 or above (plus a few honorable mentions tagged on the end for various, specific reasons). Although I didn't share it then, I was happy enough with it where I decided to update it every year at the same time, locking in the results on January 1st for the next 12 months. The larger list of 354 films represents about 20% of the currently estimated 1695 films that I have seen, meaning that what follows (composed only of films that I rank a 9 or above) is not quite my top 6% of films seen.

As I run down the movies on the list (a couple each day), please feel free to shout out suggestions. I'll try my best to track down and see anything mentioned (although I cannot promise to do so in anything resembling a timely manner).

WARNING: "Honorable Mentions" spoilers below
(1)10 - Funny Games (1997)
(1)09 - Battle Royale (2000)
(1)08 - Cloud Atlas (2013)
(1)07 - In the Mood for Love (2000)
(1)06 - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
(1)05 - October (Ten Days that Shook the World) (1928)
(1)04 - Battleship Potemkin (1925)
(1)03 - Citizen Kane (1941)
(1)02 - Gone with the Wind (1939)
(1)01 - The Tree of Life (2011)

WARNING: "Arcanis' Top 100" spoilers below
100 - Gladiator (2000)
99 - Before Midnight (2013)
98 - The Simpsons Movie (2007)
97 - The Hunger Games (2012)
96 - The Conspirator (2010)
95 - The Incredibles (2004)
94 - Monsoon Wedding (2001)
93 - Crash (2005)
92 - The Godfather (1972)
91 - Schindler's List (1993)

90 - Persona (1966)
89 - The Libertine (2004)
88 - Rocky (1976)
87 - Rebecca (1940)
86 - A Beautiful Mind (2001)
85 - Lincoln (2012)
84 - Beauty and the Beast (1991)
83 - Snakes on a Plane (2006)
82 - Imaginationland (2008)
81 - Cold Mountain (2003)

80 - M (1931)
79 - Rope (1948)
78 - Stage Beauty (2004)
77 - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
76 - City of God (2002)
75 - The Celebration (1998)
74 - Skyfall (2012)
73 - Quarantine (2008)
72 - On the Waterfront (1954)
71 - The Wicker Man (1973)

Master of My Domain
Glad you decided to make a top films lists. I always find your insight of films interesting and good food for thought. Can't wait to see what films you like and especially the reason why. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Honorable Mentions: Ten Movies That Didn't Quite Make the Cut

10 - Funny Games (1997)

There are two common themes that will crop up among these ten honorable mentions. The first are films that are far more interesting (or far better made) than they are entertaining to watch. A second theme are films that stand a really strong chance to make my top 100 when I get around to rewatching it. Funny Games fits comfortably into both categories.

I went into the film cold, knowing absolutely nothing about it except that it was foreign and came recommended by my film professor (I minored in Cinema Studies). I really wasn't expecting anything that I saw: simultaneously one of the most unnerving and interesting films I have ever seen. I absolutely loved the meta-fictive qualities of the film (not to give too much away) and its pre-determined ending (I actually shouted "That's cheating" at the TV during the climax). Intelligent, bleak and highly unusual, Funny Games is easily one of the most surreal viewing experiences that I have ever had.

9 - Battle Royale (2000)

I saw this one at a movie night a friend hosted. Hunger Games (the film) had not yet come out and I had not yet read the novels (either for Hunger Games or for Battle Royale). Having now seen both films (and either read or am reading both novels), I can say that each has its own merits. Hunger Games, I feel, works better as a narrative: developing and endearing us to characters and the situations that they find themselves in, whereas Battle Royale works better as a Kafkan-esque experience - something that happens (largely without reason - and plays upon the viewer with out bizarre, grotesque and ultimately surreal the whole thing is. And for as much as I did love Hunger Games, I am convinced that I will like this film even more when I get around to watching it a third time.

I wrote a full review on my blog a while back, in which I go into much further detail than I am affording myself to in this post. You can read it here if you would like to.

8 - Cloud Atlas (2013)

This film strikes me as somebody trying to apply a more traditional narrative to The Tree of Life's sprawling, largely abstract experience. And while I don't feel that it really worked as well as its much celebrated forebearer, I couldn't help but be impressed by the film that did get released: intertwining storylines that create a whole far greater than the sum of its parts. Some segments of the film really couldn't work independent of the larger film (the segment focussing around a homosexual composer producing an opus that is the aurel embodiment of the film), while others were more than strong enough on their own to merit being expanded into a feature film in their own rights (the two future segments in particular). It had the courage to make the film that it needed to be - with actors appearing in multiple different roles across various segments, regardless of the race or sex of the character that they are portraying.

This is the kind of film that I think needs to be made more often: grand, sprawling epics that test the limits of the medium and try like Hell to create a unique viewing experience. Even if it falls short of its ambitions, the fact that it had those ambitions to begin with makes it entirely worth the effort.

7 - In the Mood for Love (2000)

This is another film that I have reviewed for my blog. This falls firmly into the category of "likely to make the list on the rewatch." Every single time that I have sat down to think on ths film (including this one), my opinion of it has improved, well beyond the mere 7.5 that I initially gave it. This is also another suggestion from my film professor, who's actually showing up on this list quite a bit (many of the films that made the cut I saw as a part of one of her courses). It's morose, meditative and meticulously shot: in a lot of ways like a foil to Brokeback Mountain which, although sparse, was explosive. Of all of these honorable mentions (and maybe even my top 100 list), this is the one that I most want to revisit.

6 - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

When it comes to 2001, I have some very mixed feelings. The first half of the films, despite its monolithic score, is one of the most boring and over-long stretches of film that I can think of. The second half, however, set in the "future," would, by itself, easily make my top 100 (likely just missing out of my top 10). I cannot help that my initial reaction toward the first half (first seen in high school) would be softened with time and that my appreciation to the second half will only have grown with what I have learned about film since then. Bu, as it stands right now, I cannot justify adding it to the top 100.

5 - October (Ten Days that Shook the World) (1928)

Sergei Eisenstein is one of the most amazing directors that I have seen: with a jarring, distinctly un-American aesthetic that I cannot help but admire. Couple this with my inherent love of silent and early sound films and of Russian history in general, and I am actually surprised that he didn't make the top 100. But again, this will likely change after rewatching this (and the following) film. If anything, making this list is mostly serving to remind me of all of the films that I really need to revisit.

4 - Battleship Potemkin (1925)

Pretty much everything that I mentioned concerning October applies to Battleship Potemkin as well. Revisiting it a second time, knowing fully what kind of experience I am getting into, will likely result in incorporating it into the top 100. This film features a more engaing narrative than the previous Eisenstein entry and, I feel, a far more brilliantly executed climax.

3 - Citizen Kane (1941)

I first saw this film in high school after the AFI's top 100 list came out. Being the kind of kid that I was, I decided to start at the top of the list ad work my way down (something which I have yet to completely finish). Given the decidedly old-fashionedness of the story, and the big shoes that it had to fill as "the best movie ever made," it's only natural that it would fall short of the impossible expectations that I had created for it in my mind. I rewatched it as part of a History of American Film course (same professor) and found a new appreciation for it, even if I failed to enjoy it any more than I previously had. And, like Battle Royale, I feel that the third time might just be the charm that brings me to love this film.

2 - Gone with the Wind (1939)

This is another that I actually reviewed for my blog (in conjunction with its 75th anniversary). Like 2001, it features two halves of distinctly contrasting levels of quality (only in this case, it's the second half that falls short), although, despite this, it still remains entertaining despite itself (and despite the troubling historical revisionism that informs the narrative's core). And, like Cloud Atlas my affection for it stems from its epic promise: the broad, sweeping scope of the fall of the Old South in the wake of the Civil War and its impeccablly high-quality while doing so. If it would have ended with that as its climax - the burning of Charleston and their old way of life "gone with the wind tha swept through Charleston" - ideveloping and wrapping up its various narratives accordingly, t would easily make my top ten. But because of its water-treading second half, it dips just far far to wind up on this list.

1 - The Tree of Life (2011)

When I first expressed my opinion of this movie a good while back (probably near the end of 2012), I did not, I think, properly express my complicated opinion of this film in saying that it was simultaneously the most brilliant and most boring film that I have ever seen. While I still maintain the basic sentiment behind that statement, I can say now that it is perhaps the most brilliantly told non-narrative that Ihaeever seen: so brazenly non-traditional in what it was trying to tell that it becomes unknowable on any terms but its own. It is this lack of narrative engagement that keeps it from my top 100 (and my top 10), but its impossibly epic, broadly ambitious scope to encapsulate everying from the dawn of time to its inevitable end, and the way in which it so thoroughly lives up to its epic promise, that makes it such an experience to witness. The way in which it mingles in cosmic narrative with its more intimite (and mundane) one is the ultimate expression of Soviet Montage: deriving meaning not with how cohesively two images blend together, but by how dissonate they become when set against one another.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Glad you decided to make a top films lists. I always find your insight of films interesting and good food for thought. Can't wait to see what films you like and especially the reason why. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two.
Thanks. Hopefully you'll find something worth wading through this list for.

I second what Gatsby said. You articulate your thoughts very well, so this should be an enjoyable and enlightening favorites list.

I've only seen half of your honorable mentions: Battle Royale, 2001, Battleship Potemkin, Citizen Kane and The Tree of Life.

I've seen the remake of Funny Games, but not the original. If the goal of the movie was to piss me off, then it succeeded. Apparently it's a shot-by-shot recreation of the original, except in English and with different actors, so if I disliked the remake, I doubt my opinion of the original would be any different.

Battle Royale was okay, but definitely a disappointment. I loved the premise, but even though the movie is violent, it isn't as disturbing as I had anticipated. There's a cartoonish quality to it in that cover-your-mouth-when-you-giggle Japanese sense that turned me off a bit. I get the appeal of the movie, though.

I've heard very conflicting opinions in relation to Cloud Atlas. I've got it recorded, but I feel like I need to be in the right mood to watch it, so I keep putting it off. I figure I'll either love it or hate it, since it's one of those films that seems to have no middle ground.

I haven't seen In the Mood for Love, although it's on my watch list. The length of Gone with the Wind intimidates me, so I still haven't gotten around to watching it either.

Battleship Potemkin is an impressive work of art. It's not the kind of film that I would ever consider a favorite, but it's worthy of its reputation as one of the greatest silent films of all-time. I haven't seen October, but since it's by the same director I assume it's top quality.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a top ten favorite of mine. I guess watching people hop around in ape costumes and freak out over a black monolith appeals to me more than it does to you, since I don't find the first half boring, although I don't fault you or anyone who thinks so.

Having the title 'Greatest Film of All-Time" is more of a curse than anything, since, like you say, it creates impossible expectations. I quite enjoyed Citizen Kane the one and only time I watched it, though. I think it has the potential to become a personal favorite with a re-watch or two.

I loved aspects of The Tree of Life-- especially all the early scenes relating to the universe and earth's beginning stages. Then Sean Penn started walking around staring at his feet, and the stuff with Brad Pitt's kids started, and I lost all interest. Your excellent write-up makes me want give it another go. It's certainly a hugely ambitious film. Maybe a bit of bud during my inevitable re-watch would help things out a bit.

Looking forward to the list, Arcanis! Sorry for the wall of text.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Honorable mentions are great. It only makes me wonder if the actual list can surpass its greatness.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I don't like 2001, like Battle Royale a little, and really like Funny Games and Citizen Kane.

I've had Gone With the Wind, Tree of Life, and Cloud Atlas on my watchlist but have put all of them off. All 3 of them seem like daunting tasks, yet must sees.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
If those are the films that didn't make the cut, I can't wait to see the ones that did. Gone With the Wind, Battle Royale, Cloud Atlas and In the Mood For Love are all brilliant, in my opinion.

Lord High Filmquisitor

100 - Gladiator (2000)

Director: Ridley Scott
MPAA Rating: R
Genres: Action, Adventure
Length: 155 min
Edition: Theatrical

I have always maintained that even the most conventional stories can be turned into exceptional films. Gladiator may not be as unique of a story as Funny Games, as methodically composed as In the Mood for Love, as brilliantly directed as Battleship Potemkin nor as epic in scope as either The Tree of Life or Gone with the Wind, but it's overall production comes together in such a way where it, at least as of my last viewing, it wins out over its more celebrated and better regarded competition. It doesn't suffer from Gone with the Wind's weak second half, nor 2001's equally weak first half; it is more enjoyable than The Tree of Life and features a stronger narrative than any in Cloud Atlas.

Although I am not especially fond of Ridley Scott as a director, and although Gladiator is not especially different from many of his other films (namely Robin Hood), this film works so well simply because it is the best permutation of the talent involved in its making. Scott has never equalled the viscerally thrilling action scenes in the Colloseum in anything he's made either before or since and both Joaquin Phoenix and Russell Crowe turn in two of their more memorable performances.

Lord High Filmquisitor

99 - Before Midnight (2013)

Director: Richard Linklater
MPAA Rating: R
Genres: Drama, Romance
Length: 109 min

As a general rule, my girlfriend does not like romantic films. So when I found myself with a full weekend to myself, I set time aside to watch Linklater's Before trilogy. I was so completely enamored by the first film that what was originally intended to span three days wound up as a late night triple-feature. And while this film certainly comes off as a betrayal of the romantic promise of the first two films, it does so in such an organic, natural-feeling way that I cannot bring myself to fault the film for simply showing me something that I would rather not have seen.

The film's greatest strength is that it is essentially 100% dialog - fantastic dialog at that. Whereas Before Sunrise / Sunset focussed intently on the two protagonists, Before Midnight expands this to include a broader cast of equally well-defined (if not well-developed) characters, each providing their own take on the film's central premise: does true love last? To this end, I found the dinner scene to be much more engaging than the climactic fight between Jesse and Celine (although the scenes in car and walking through the ruins were nearly as strong).

The real strength of the film, however, is that it is confident enough in the characters it presents and the conflicts which it details to leave the audience to form their own opinion on the state of its protagonists' relationship. The ambiguity of its ending (which directly mirros the ambiguity of the previous two films' endings) does not derive from an absence of information, but from presenting a nuanced and detailed relationship that, like those found in real lfe, cannot be defined in the cut-and-dry terms cinematic romance is too often defined by.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Before Midnight is my least favorite of the trilogy, but it's still a good movie. I think I just expected a little bit more from it than what I got after seeing the first two films.

Love both of the first two choices. Gladiator has become one of those movies that is cool to hate so I am always pleased when I see someone who still loves it. It might just be you, me, and Miss Vicky left.

Before Sunrise is in my 100. Before Sunset was a major letdown. Then I loved Before Midnight.

Really good stuff so far Arcanis.

Before Midnight is a cute little film but I don't think it's as good as its known reputation, Gladiator is fun and the fight scenes are pretty epic. Not two favorites but still good.

Lord High Filmquisitor

98 - The Simpsons Movie (2007)

Director: David Silverman
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Genres: Adventure, Comedy
Length: 87 min

Debuting the year I was born, I grew up watching the show when it was the funniest show on TV. The prospect of a Simpsons movie was always in the back of my mind, fueled by rumors that episodes like "Kamp Krusty" and "Itchy and Scratchy Land" were originally planned as films. Going in, my concern wasn't how much nostalgia was going to shape my enjoyment of the film, but how the film would invariably fail against the impossible expectations that a literal lifetime of speculation had created.

And yet, the film ended up not just matching, but outright exceeding my expectations. The reason why it worked so incredibly well is that it knew exactly what it wanted to be: a 90-minute episode of the television series. Not just an extended episode, but an episode that legitimately rivals the very best episodes of the series. It is outright funnier than "You Only Move Twice" (a personal favorite of mine) and has a quicker secession of jokes than "Lisa on Ice" (which a friend of mine cites as the very best episode of the series for that exact reason).

I liked The Simpsons Movie but I was hoping for something meatier than the dome plot, just another Simpsons wacky adventure, length is the only difference. It was hellacious fun though.

Big plus rep for Gladiator, though a little sad it only barely made your list. It was my absolute favorite film for awhile.

Haven't seen Before Midnight and thought The Simpsons Movie was okay but not great.

I have to see Gladiator again. It was just ok for me when I saw it at the movies, but that is about the time I stopped enjoying going to the movies.

I've only seen the first one in the Before trilogy so far, and I liked The Simpsons Movie.

I like Gladiator, but I haven't seen it in years. I actually bought the DVD in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart two or three years ago, but it's still in the plastic.

Excellent write-up for Before Midnight. It's one of my favorite films of 2013. I don't like it quite as much as Sunset, but I'd rank it ahead of Sunrise. The entire trilogy is fantastic, though.

Not seen The Simpsons Movie.

Arcanis - this has the shapings of a good list, just judging on your ones that didn't make it which are all excellent films. Looking forward to the rest of it

Lord High Filmquisitor
Big plus rep for Gladiator, though a little sad it only barely made your list. It was my absolute favorite film for awhile.
It slipped a bit from last year (when it was 95) and will likely slip from the list entirely next year (based on the slate of Netflix DVDs that I have lined up to watch for 2015). It is still the metric by which I judge action movies, though, even if there are films in that genre that I prefer to it (but more on those later).