2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

The trick is not minding
1 month update! 1/31

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Also answers to Jabba
With 42/162 I'm a quarter of the way there in just January.

Highlights of the Month:
The Ballad of Narayama (1958), The Swimmer, Promising Young Woman, Doctor Zhivago, Safety Last!

PS. I am secretly hoping to finish this and whatever I had left from last year's challenge in 2022 and unofficially make up for not completing it last year.

The trick is not minding
With 42/162 I'm a quarter of the way there in just January.

Highlights of the Month:
The Ballad of Narayama (1958), The Swimmer, Promising Young Woman, Doctor Zhivago, Safety Last!

PS. I am secretly hoping to finish this and whatever I had left from last year's challenge in 2022 and unofficially make up for not completing it last year.
Look forward to seeing your updates for last year as well. I remember you HS chosen India as your country . Is that still the plan?

Also answers to Jabba
Look forward to seeing your updates for last year as well. I remember you HS chosen India as your country . Is that still the plan?

If I end up doing it then yes. It would probably be a mix of films sitting on the IMDb top 250 and Satyajit Ray's filmography. The former because of completionist reasons, the latter because it's on Criterion and I want to explore his work a bit more.

So I'm going to update every month...here's my January update.
Part 1
Get lost in the movement:
4. Poetic Realism - The Rules of the Game(1939) - not a big fan of Renoir and this genre of film-making.

5. Cinema Novo Antonio Das Montes (1969) - This is very much a style over substance film. The audio for this movie will give you a headache. Visually it's stunning it has Tarantino level violence but it lacks the wit and charm.

B. It's a big world out there:
3. Middle East - Notturno (2021) - No gifs but it's on Hulu and it's a documentary that goes through Syria. It offers no answers just glimpses of the war and it's gorgeous and weird and worth your time.

K. Are we there yet?
1. a film more than 160 minutes long- Jeanne Dielman(1975) - to me this is one of the worst films ever made. 4 hours of pretentiousness masked as thoughtfulness.

2. a film with a budget lower than 1 million - Safety Last (1923) - I'm going through Silents this year and this was in the Hall. It's fine, it's less a film and more a collection of skits and the third act goes on way to long but I think most will enjoy it.

3. a 2022 release - Scream (2022) - Man am I glad this is back, after some horrible TV shows the actual horror/mystery film's return was so welcome and It was so good. I'm going to go back and forth if this was better than Scream 2 but still a great film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Here's where I'm at for the end of January

Watchlist
Watched

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

You MoFo I almost had you
  • The Battle at Elderbush Gulch
  • Broken Arrow
  • Support Your Local Sheriff
  • The Unforgiven
  • The Wonderful Country
  • Day of the Outlaw
  • The Tall T
  • Fort Apache
  • Way Out West
  • The Missouri Breaks
C. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres or themes listed]
1. [Western: Revisionist] - Apache
2. [Western: Spaghetti] - Viva Maria!
3. [Western: Epic] - Across the Wide Missouri
4. [Western: Neo-Western] - Old Henry (2021)

So I decided to go through the BFI list which was the one with the most available options and most of the shorter films

Also answers to Jabba

So I decided to go through the BFI list which was the one with the most available options and most of the shorter films

I took the exact opposite route and decided to go with a list I had seen 90/100 films to 'force' myself to complete it this year.

Is my TV broken?
watch 10 predominantly black and white films released after 2000

Sothis is obviously going to be a pain in the butt, however in 2021/2022 quite a few films qualify

The French Dispatch (Wes Anderson)
Passing (Rebecca Hall)
Belfast (Kenneth Branagh)
MLK/FBI (Sam Pollard)
C'Mon C'Mon (Mike Mills)
Tragedy of Macbeth (Joel Coen)

Also answers to Jabba
Pick one of the lists featured in MoFo and watch 10 films in it

I'm using an actual MoFo countdown for this one. Am I doing it right?
Is it here? If so, then you are indeed doing it right.

Also answers to Jabba
I'm working on the Movie Forums: Top Animated Films list. I've only seen 40% which is shameful.
Then you are doing it right. 40 isn't that bad to be honest. I am at 56 myself and many of the remaining titles are not that appealing to me. I would only push myself to watch them in order to complete the list at some point.

Round up the usual suspects
watch 10 films from the same genre
1950s SCIENCE FICTION
1. It Came From Outer Space (1953)
2. Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
3. Revenge of the Creature (1955)
4. Tarantula (1955)
5. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
6. The Space Children (1958)
7. Monster on the Campus (1958)
8. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
9. The Monolith Monsters (1957)
10. The Gamma People (1956)

I was a big fan of this stuff as a teenager but have sort of neglected it since then. Nice to revisit some old faves and find some new ones. Most of these are at least entertaining with some outright classics mixed in. No real stinkers in the group.

Round up the usual suspects
watch 10 films from the same genre
1950s SCIENCE FICTION
1. It Came From Outer Space (1953)
2. Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
3. Revenge of the Creature (1955)
4. Tarantula (1955)
5. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
6. The Space Children (1958)
7. Monster on the Campus (1958)
8. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
9. The Monolith Monsters (1957)
10. The Gamma People (1956)

I was a big fan of this stuff as a teenager but have sort of neglected it since then. Nice to revisit some old faves and find some new ones. Most of these are at least entertaining with some outright classics mixed in. No real stinkers in the group.
I thought that The Incredible Shrinking Man was really great and shockingly moving. I might have cried at the end. Shut up.

I thought that The Incredible Shrinking Man was really great and shockingly moving. I might have cried at the end. Shut up.
Crying is a perfectly acceptable response. It will shock no one to learn

That's an old fave of mine. Got the Criterion BR with my Christmas money.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
If something touches you, then it touches you. It's a beautiful thang.

Back in the mid-nineties, I went to New Orleans with a group of friends from three different bars in downtown Detroit for Jazz Fest.
IF I remember correctly, in a tent was The Blind Boys of Alabama. At one point, one of them held a note so extraordinarily long -- I mean, it was astounding. Every time we thought he would finish, he continued holding this gorgeous note. On and on and, amazingly, on and on and on. And yet, STILL, on and on. . .
After the show, we stepped out, and one of my friends had tears streaming down his cheeks; he was so moved and very embarrassed by it.
I told him I was jealous that it moved him so much that he cried and that I was more embarrassed that I didn't.

If something touches you, then it touches you. It's a beautiful thang.
Oh, I know.

It's just not the emotional response you expect from a film whose most famous moment is a tiny man fighting a big spider with a pin.

E. Never judge a book by its movie:
[Watch one film adapted from a novel belonging to each of the following literary eras]
1. a Victorian novel adaptation Muppet Treasure Island
2. a Romanticism novel adaptation Northanger Abbey
3. a Modernist novel adaptation Lady Chatterly’s Lover
4. a Postmodernist novel adaptation Inherent Vice

All of these were fine, with Northanger Abbey being the only one I really enjoyed and that I'd want to watch again.