Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Some movies / performances just make you re-assess your opinion of certain actors and The Swimmer did that for me with Burt Lancaster. He was perfect as you say and I've been a fan ever since watching this despite not liking him much when I was younger. Same deal with Victor Mature in My Darling Clementine, a part he totally owned.
I haven't seen The Swimmer yet, but check out Sweet Smell of Success if you haven't. Lancaster is great in it.

THE MITCHELLS VS. THE MACHINES
(2021, Rianda)

The Mitchells vs. the Machines presents us a family that's pretty much going through those struggles and insecurities. Nevermind the machine apocalypse, the core of the film is how this family has to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, external and internal, to save their lives, yes, but most importantly, their relationships and their bond. They might have "no idea what they're doing", but they're still pushing through.

The focus of the film is on the daughter, Katie (Abbi Jacobson), who frequently clashes with her "old school" father Rick (Danny McBride). Because of this, she's anxious to leave for film school in California. But after a particularly bitter argument, Rick decides to cancel her plane ticket and take the family in a cross-country trip from Michigan to California, in an attempt to have one final chance at bonding. Along for the ride are mother Linda (Maya Rudolph), little brother Aaron (Mike Rianda), and their pet dog, Monchi.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot
Loved MvsM. The way they blend all those different types of animation is something I’ve never seen before. Great use of memes and YouTube culture.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Russian Ark
my first view of the film

Area: New Russian cinema.
In a few words: Innovative, Educational, Valuable, Art film

Kinda nutty & not up to the usual Danish fare. Not bad though.

Re-watch though I didn’t remember much of it. Once I read the synopsis I understood the movie better. HUGE fan of Joaquin and, as per usual, he was excellent.

Victim of The Night
27th Hall of Fame (REWATCH)

Jaws (1975) -

(SPOILER WARNING)

I didn't revisit this film before writing this review, but that's only because I've seen it several times (once a couple months ago, in fact), so the film is still really fresh in my memory. As great as it is though, it's not my favorite kind of film to review since its strengths (the shift from a comparably slower police procedural thriller in the first half to survival horror in the second half, the mayor's poor handling of the situation, Quint's USS Indianapolis monologue, several iconic shark scenes, the soundtrack), have already been analyzed to death, so when I discuss those aspects, I feel like I'm just repeating things that many other people have already said. Therefore, I'll instead talk about some other aspects I like about the film which aren't brought up as often.

Quint's aforementioned USS Indianapolis monologue is great and it could be argued that it's the origin of his rough outward personality, but I think his character is more complex than that. On the surface, his "tough guy" demeanor seems to represent masculinity or manliness, but the more you analyze his behavior, the more pathetic he appears as a character. He's an arrogant, obsession-fueled narcissist who's willing to put Brody and Hooper in danger to kill the shark (at one point, he even goes as far to prevent Brody from calling for help by smashing a radio). His view appears to be that acting like a dick to everyone around him gives him a sense of manliness. While Quint's USS Indianapolis monologue is an excellent scene though, none of the actions he mentions in that speech (which mainly consist of him floating in the water for several hours and hoping a shark doesn't pick him out of his fellow sailors to attack) seem braver than Hooper going underwater in a cage to try to kill the shark as a last resort or even Brody coping with his fears and setting out to hunt the shark (more on that later). Quint failed to kill the shark and got himself killed in the process, while Brody killed the shark instead. Compared to Brody and Hooper, Quint seemed significantly less manly and brave.

I also feel like Brody is an underpraised character. Most people I talk to generally say that Quint is the best character in the film but, while he's complex, too, I think there's also a lot to praise Brody for. Before the shark showed up, Brody was an outsider who left New York to get away from the violence and settle down into a more peaceful community. As the shark begins wreaking havoc on the town though, he has to put up with several things, like the mayor refusing to close the beach and the other townspeople having a somewhat unfavorable opinion of him (Alex Kintner's mother slapping Brody is a powerful scene since the mayor was much more at fault for getting Alex killed and deserved the slap instead). These are the people Brody has to save and he isn't happy about this. Ultimately though, while his concern for the town has somewhat of an effect on his decisions, Brody's concerns for his family's safety influence his decision to hunt the shark the most (simple scenes of Brody telling his kids not to play by the water or his reaction to one of his sons going into shock after an encounter with the shark give his decisions an extra layer of resonance). To briefly go back to my points on Quint, that Brody eventually overcomes his fears and kills the shark makes him the more courageous and manly of the two characters by a long shot. Really, Brody is a terrific character and his arc doesn't get nearly enough credit, in my opinion.

Overall, Jaws is an excellent film which gets better the more I rewatch it. That the quieter drama scenes prove to be just as, if not, more memorable than the shark scenes is truly something special that few horror films I've seen have been able to accomplish.
I agree with you on both counts. Brody is the center of the movie for me, not Quint. Quint is great color for Brody. And Brody is, by far, the better man. Quint may have been tough but he turns out to be a loud-mouthed braggart who gets in over his head and whose ego is actually fragile enough that he cannot accept it to the degree that he puts his own life and the lives of others at risk. Really just a shitty person.
Brody is a hero, and Scheider's portrayal of him is just perfect and honestly is one of my favorite acting performances.

Victim of The Night
I don't know if you've read the novel but I think this is what Peter Benchley had in mind.
WARNING: spoilers below
Plus there was that whole cuckold thing.
Ya know I actually didn't care for that spoilered part in the book. Seemed like it overcomplicated the narrative.

Ya know I actually didn't care for that spoilered part in the book. Seemed like it overcomplicated the narrative.
I was too young to really analyze it when I read it, but in hindsight, it just felt like a really cheap way to justify killing a character off.

Victim of The Night

By http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cg...llusionist.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5751708

The Illusionist - (2006)

Films often come in pairs, probably because studios invest a lot in their scripts and when one enemy begins production on a film while another studio has a similar-themed project sitting there, a race begins to finish first. At least that's what I've heard. Anyway, The Illusionist came out the same year The Prestige did, and while The Illusionist did well, I wasn't really aware of it until now. It earned only slightly less than The Prestige did. I thought it was pretty good, without singling anything out that had me breathless (except for Crown Prince Leopold's threats to sue a magician for fraud - dude, that's what they do. That's what magic tricks are all about - tricking people.) I personally had Ed Norton's Eisenheim pegged as an outright mystic. With CGI the impossible is possible. But I won't go down any avenues that might give away this film's plot. It's a good looking film with plenty of spark - a high stakes game involving royalty and power. The only down point for me was the lack of chemistry between Norton and Jessica Biel, but it has been explained to me that Eisenheim is meant to be inscrutable and his not showing emotions is part of the character. So there. Complaint nullified. Paul Giamatti does most of the heavy lifting acting-wise.

7/10
Yeah, I actually liked the film, no great shake but then I actually wasn't nearly as bowled over by The Prestige as so many people seem to have been.
But Paul Giamatti. The guy's just great. As you say, he does the heavy lifting, which he is always capable of doing. He's obviously amazing in Sideways but I'll tell ya, even though the movie is considered terrible, his performance in Lady In The Water is absolutely mesmerizing. When he finally
WARNING: "sperlah" spoilers below
breaks down and cries for the loss of his family
... I mean, I can barely watch it it's so genuine, so real, just heartbreaking.

I agree with you on both counts. Brody is the center of the movie for me, not Quint. Quint is great color for Brody. And Brody is, by far, the better man. Quint may have been tough but he turns out to be a loud-mouthed braggart who gets in over his head and whose ego is actually fragile enough that he cannot accept it to the degree that he puts his own life and the lives of others at risk. Really just a shitty person.
Brody is a hero, and Scheider's portrayal of him is just perfect and honestly is one of my favorite acting performances.
Yeah, I've never figured there was any other way to look at Brody. He's the perfect "reluctant hero"; flawed and "insecure", but still willing to push through and get the job done.

Saw Last Call with Jeremy Piven on Amazon. Pictured on the icon for the film is Jeremy Irons. This picture and the kind of movie it conjures up have nothing to do with what we have here.. It is a movie made by and for Delco dudes. This is the type of neighborhood I grew up in and the kind of dudes I work with. I give it an A for effort. It is funny in a sophmoric way... sometimes. Maybe the guys who wrote this are still trying to make their buddies in High School laugh. I laughed at the t-shirt sayings. I am a sucker for a funny T-shirt saying and there were many of these. I noticed it got mixed reviews elsewhere. Many many single stars. Funniest of all someone accused it of being politically correct. Not really a problem in my opinion. I am assuming the guy who posted that is a local.
I give it two popcorns and a soft pretzel ( a local delicacy)

Tentacles (1977)

Considering that the film is technically somewhat proficient, it's truly amazing how boring it is. The body count is somewhat higher than Jaws, but nothing seems to happen. There's no tension, no characters, nothing. The only decent scene is the boat race (well, maybe a few of the octopus scenes are kinda amusing, too). I enjoyed Alien 2 more.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Cartouche (1962)
++ Swashbuckling Tom-foolery, with a flourish for the outrageous is still capable of adding the rare splattering of dramatic consequences.

Jean-Paul Belmondo takes to high adventure as a rakish thief who decides to remove the greedy, selfish gang leader and becomes a kind of Robin Hood as he brazenly steals hearts and riches with the aid of two thieving associates played by Jess Hahn and Jean Rochefort.
Eventually joining them is the gorgeous Claudia Cardinale rounding out an amusing list of rogues.

Very much a tongue-in-cheek production there is almost a cartoonish approach to the action and fight sequences there is still enough going on to constitute a fun, bawdy romp.

Tentacles (1977)

Considering that the film is technically somewhat proficient, it's truly amazing how boring it is. The body count is somewhat higher than Jaws, but nothing seems to happen. There's no tension, no characters, nothing. The only decent scene is the boat race (well, maybe a few of the octopus scenes are kinda amusing, too). I enjoyed Alien 2 more.
Not even the trained Orca bodyguards won you over?

The Earrings of Madame De...

A perfectly constructed and executed period piece romantic drama. The long take photography is among the best I've ever seen and accentuates every emotion the characters are feeling. Just top notch stuff and I need to see more Ophuls immediately.

5/5
I've had this picture on my list for months, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I think I've seen clips, but not the whole movie.

Buccaneer, 1938

French pirate Jean Lefitte (Fredric March) has a tentative alliance/affection with the American people, and a particular affection for Annette de Remy (Margot Grahame), who wants to be with him but also wants him to be decent. Things take a turn when the British conspire to attack--this is all set during the War of 1812--and one of Lefitte's mates decides to attack an American ship and kill all of the civilians and crew on board. The lone survivor is Gretchen (Franciska Gaal), who begins to develop feelings for Lefitte after he saves her from being killed by the crew.

I liked this a fair bit more than I anticipated, though it was still a mixed bag for me.

On the positive side, I did find Gaal very charming in her role as the plain-spoken, determined Gretchen. It says a LOT that her character often made weird, stupid, or selfish decisions, and yet her character never fell out of favor with me. March is also mostly charming in his role as the pirate with a conscience, though his character never quite gripped me.

The film ends up being almost more politically driven than I'd expected. There's the first third which mainly consists of establishing Lefitte's loyalty to the US. Then there's the middle third which is Lefitte and his men helping fight off the British. Finally, there's a section dealing with Lefitte trying to integrate into polite, elite society.

I was a bit torn on the last third. On the one hand, it had some of the most powerful parts of the whole film. As Lefitte and Gretchen navigate an upper class party, they realize that many of the attendees had family members on the ship that Lefitte's men sunk, including Annette's sister. The plundering and sinking of the ship has yet to be reported. In fact, to her horror Gretchen realizes that she's wearing Annette's dead sister's dress. It's genuinely heartbreaking in moments, such as when a woman casually mentions that her son is aboard the ship. But at the same time, the tone up to this point has been mostly fun and whimsy. It's a bit of a tonal hard turn, even though it produces some of the best moments of the film.

I also have to say that starting a film with a racist caricature is not at all the way to my heart. All of the characters in the film trade banter and bon mots . . . except the black characters who are painful stereotypes of broken English and slow wits. It's one of those dated elements that really leaves a sour taste in my mouth and dings my enjoyment of a story.

This one has its moments, but overall feels like it's not entirely there.

I've had this picture on my list for months, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I think I've seen clips, but not the whole movie.
It's hard to think of more formally accomplished films. I wish I'd watched it sooner!

You're both talking about Tentacles, right?
Does Madame De have a guy team up with two Orcas to hunt a giant octopus? I think it's clear what the formal masterpiece really is.

Encanto, 2021

Mirabel (Stephanie Beatriz) is born into a family in which every member has a magical gift. The only problem: Mirabel has no gift. When strange and troubling signs begin to pop up---some involving her absentee uncle Bruno (John Leguizamo)--Mirabel must find a way to protect her family's magic.

I quite enjoyed this latest Disney offering.

As with a lot of contemporary animated films, there's a lot of snappy banter and worldy-children and sassy animal sidekicks. Yet despite these very familiar elements, most of them worked for me.

The voice performances are all enjoyable and feel lived-in. Despite a pretty large cast, the characters are memorable enough that it didn't feel like a sprawl. Beatriz (who I love on Brooklyn-99) is great as Mirabel. The rest of the voice cast is also really good.

What most popped out to me from the film was the music. I realize that "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is the song that's getting both meme attention and genuine attention, but I thought that "Surface Pressure" was absolutely amazing. Lin-Manuel Miranda's lyrics and melodies are really fabulous. Between this and tick tick BOOM, he's having quite the year!

I also have to say that I appreciated the message of the film, which had to do with the value of a person above their gifts. I really liked that it addressed the way that talents and gifts can create a pressure on children to be perfect and not let anyone down. I think that it's a message that is good for kids and for adults.

Really worth checking out!