The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
There's an interesting (if you're into that sort of thing) look at the specs of the PS4 and new Xbox and how they compare. The hardware doesn't look bad and Sony are promising that the PS4 will be much easier to code for.

It looks like the Xbox will have Blu Ray too...

Bethesda must be throwing a party.

Link
One of the Xbox 'co-founders' has been raging at how poor the Xbox's indie-coding access is. Reasonably interesting rant on consoles sliding into the home entertainment niche etc. Seems to think Apple could blow everyone away if they chose too.

---

But don't mention Bethsheda to me!...

First impressions: Why the hell have I bought Bethsheda's most lauded game when I have a six-week-old child and sleep is totally at a premium?!

Main impressions: Yarss. Addictive. Liking the VATs, and just enjoying exploring the world. Loving the Django-esque radio mixed with 50s stylings. Loads of glitches and non-sequiturs too, but that's par for the course. Glad I selected repair as a main skill as definitely helps with the hoaaarding

The People's Republic of Clogher
Yep, indications seem to be that the PS4 will be the pure games machine and the Xbox more of a home entertainment thing. The PS4 also seems more powerful - It'll be interesting to see how they actually stack up.

Must admit, I can see Microsoft going down the entertainment route, if the appalling current Xbox dash is anything to go by.

I've decided that I'll only be tempted if my PS3 packs up within the next 2 or 3 years. It's my Blu Ray player so will have to be replaced if it goes bang - Do I buy a standalone or a console once the first round of price cuts happens? I'd be edging toward the PS4 but it'll only be an occasional games machine.

I was playing Fallout 3 myself today.

Oo what is swanky eyepatch thing? (No don't tell Looking forward to discovering the tech. Especially this gun-assembly thing I've heard about )

It's a mod, sadly. Configurable night vision, very useful when you're running a weather mod with dark nights. I think New Vegas has something similar as standard - Obsidion took a lot of game ideas (hardcore mode, weapon mods etc) from F3 mods and I've definitely seen something which looks like gopher's F3 Rebreather in there and Boone's Spotter perk is very similar to his Target Acquisition System.

A system of cells interlinked

So good!

Bought Crusader Kings II yesterday - 75% off on Steam.

It's one of the few pure strategy games that I've enjoyed but I'm not having much luck so far. You're supposed to build a dynasty and my son and heir is (in the words of the game) a dribbling imbecile. I'd assassinate him, but he's only 3.

I married my hair-lipped (again, the words of the game) daughter off to the king of France but I don't know yet if that will bring any benefits.

War is far away but I'm going to build an army soon. Just in case.

But don't mention Bethsheda to me!...

First impressions: Why the hell have I bought Bethsheda's most lauded game when I have a six-week-old child and sleep is totally at a premium?!

Main impressions: Yarss. Addictive. Liking the VATs, and just enjoying exploring the world. Loving the Django-esque radio mixed with 50s stylings. Loads of glitches and non-sequiturs too, but that's par for the course. Glad I selected repair as a main skill as definitely helps with the hoaaarding
First time playing this one?

First time playing this one?
Yep. Snatching hours when I can. Level 6 and heading towards 3dog now (seems to be a lot easier trip than I thought. Spent loadsa time chasing desert missions away from big city). Loving the radio to bits

*EDIT*

Oh goshdarnit, now I'm listening to this at work...

Not quite the same when not juxtaposed with a crackling wasteland, but it'll do for now

I changed my Fallout 3 title music to this:

Fallout 2 fans should see the connection.

There are some great radio mods out there which really expand on GNR's playlist. Fortunately so much of the music from that period is copyright-free.

Hah nice one. It's got the right bluesy way about it, with upbeat swells too. (Something so class about exchanging shots over a rock with some gun-toting mutant while happy-blues burbles away ). Hard to match some of the fun lyrical asides in the soundtrack though - 'don't want to set the world on fire' and all that

If I had the power of Mod I'd be tempted by this one. The vibe, and lyrics once they get going, kinda fit. And as a bonus, it's sung by my mate's grandad

---

Gagging to get back into the crackle and fuzz but think I'll be lucky tonight. Want to see whether getting the eyes of THEM! has actually made me look different . And make some of the silly toys now I've nabbed all the parts. Can see how there's a fair bit of replay value out there too - feels like there are more multiple-solutions to missions than Skyrim. Arg, damn you Bethsheda

The Louis Armstrong number is actually the opening theme to Fallout 2. 1998's (or whenever, I forget now) version of I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire.

Fire In My Heart is ace. It'd really fit in well with this mod.

I think I played Halo once; generally I can appreciate FPS, but I almost never play them anymore, outside of the single player campaigns in Call of Duty, which I still found theatrical enough to be somewhat fun. But I'll check it out, thanks.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I played Halo all a way too many times in high school. I'm glad I've grown out of this stage. Now, it's mainly those darn movies just steal my freetime.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Started Dead Island again. Playing as a different character. I really enjoy this game. The differences from character to character are nice. I can't wait to play the second one.

It looks interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony stole the march on the new consoles in the same way that the 360 did with this gen. In terms of power it's similar to my PC which was built on a budget about 18 months ago but that's not really the point, I guess.

The new Xbox's apparent use of Blu Ray is only gonna promote the medium in my eyes, and that's a good thing - Especially since I've been frustrated as **** these last few days with my 30 day Netflix streaming trial.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Took some time to play Dishonored and...I love it! It's got so many choices in combat, exploration, and stealth, which I enjoy. Not too many games feel like Dishonored, both in gameplay and in the world they build. The story's a revenge story, but it's done very well. Sure the graphics are a bit muddy, and the stealth could've used a little more polish, but I'd definitely consider this game one of the best (and one of my favorites right now) of 2012.