Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Tokyo Godfathers (2003) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Yeah, so I watched the new dub on 9anime a week or so back and had too much other stuff going on to post about it. Imagine my surprise on Sunday finding the Blu-ray in Walmart when I hadn't been able to find it in any Walmart stores. Since it was the only copy left and I liked the movie enough to consider it worth owning, I went ahead and grabbed it. To my surprise, Mom took one look at the cover and said it looked like it was worth watching. So, my Sunday night viewing marked the second time I've seen Tokyo Godfathers in the past week or so, a surprising turn for someone who'd said in the past that he'd never watch anything Kon directed. But what can I say? After seeing Perfect Blue, I realized I'd misjudged the director. That's not to say he's suddenly become my new favorite anime director--Otomo (Why doesn't he make more movies, bruh? Akira is one of the best films of the 1980s, anime or otherwise, and no one's gonna convince me that's not the case.), Miyazaki, and Shinkai still reign supreme, but he's way better than I was willing to admit. As for Tokyo Godfathers, it's a good movie and one I'll never forget. Its story is one worth telling that seems all too relevant in today's world where the homeless line the streets every day and are often looked down on as nothing more than human garbage that deserves to be homeless. Nearly two decades after it first arrived in theaters, little to nothing has changed in that regard. In Tokyo Godfathers, the main characters are human beings first and homeless second, as it should be; in this case, we can add "caretakers of an abandoned baby" to the list. Also, I have to give props to Kon and Keiko Nobumoto, well-known for writing Cowboy Bebop and creating Wolf's Rain, for keeping the storyline pretty straightforward instead of going for the mindscrew; that may have worked for Perfect Blue, but it would be out of place here. To be clear, I'm not saying it's predictable--many have praised Tokyo Godfathers for being the opposite, just that it doesn't try to mess with your head and it's not all that difficult to follow. The animation is stunning. Sure, there are no especially bright or vibrant colors, but it's a style that's a perfect match for the film's subject matter and storyline. It also has to be said that it looks much better than previous versions--I've seen screenshots, namely Umbrella's badly windowboxed - like the old DVD of Spirited Away - 2017 Blu-ray release in Australia that even had grammatical errors and misspellings in the subs (Bruh, WTH was Umbrella thinking?), via GKIDS' 4K restoration. Keiichi Suzuki's musical score is memorable. I mean, the film ends with a Japanese version of Ode to Joy performed by Suzuki's rock band, the Moonriders; now there's something you don't hear every day. It took almost two decades for it to happen, but NYAV Post has given Tokyo Godfathers an excellent English dub as they have with the other anime they've dubbed. There's a previous dub by Animax Asia, but it was never available outside of Asia and barring some clips on YouTube, very few have heard it which is just as well, since while it isn't all that bad, especially by Animax Asia standards, the NYAV Post dub is way better. Shooo... Where to begin with this dub? Mirai herself Victoria Grace is excellent as Miyuki, a teenage runaway who says she can go home any time she wants, yet chooses not to. Jon Avner is equally impressive as Gin, an alcoholic gambler who was once a family man. Avner brings a gruff quality to Gin, saying in one scene, "You're tryin' to play house when we're three good-for-nothin' bums who can't even look after ourselves." Shakina Nayfack is more than solid as Hana, a drag queen who only ever wanted to feel loved and even names the baby Kiyoko. Hana can be very dramatic at times and Nayfack's performance matches that without going too far over the top like, say for instance, Russell Wait in the Animax Asia dub. Everyone else is also solid, including the likes of Jamieson Price, Crispin Freeman, Michael Sinterniklaas, Kirk Thornton, and Erica Schroeder in supporting roles and the dub script is completely natural. All told, I liked Tokyo Godfathers a lot and I'll be coming back to it many times in the future.

SERPICO
(1973)

Re-watch. Al Pacino delivered a riveting performance. Classic movie.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Green Book (2018)

This was OK. It was fine. Decently made movie. Middle of the road. Well-acted. Nothing exciting. Probably every Oscar voter's third or fourth choice which is how it ended up winning. 2018 was not a vintage year for film.

Bel Canto (2018)

I don't know how such a gripping book can make such a boring movie. It just seemed to be missing some kind of urgency, of emotional connection, of believability. I did like the scenes with Gen and Carmen though, and the climax of the film still hit quite hard.

Tell It to the Bees (2018)

Low-key lesbian drama about a doctor and a divorced mother who start a relationship in 1950s Scotland. And some bees.

+

Low-key lesbian drama about a doctor and a divorced mother who start a relationship in 1950s Scotland. And some bees.

+
Sounds like one for @Yoda

The second lighthouse movie I've seen this year. That is 2 more than I had seen in my previous 45+ years of movie watching. This isn't as good as the other lighthouse movie, the name of which escapes me. Three guys at a lighthouse find a body and a crate washed up on shore. The crate is filled with clothes and a couple gold bars. Greed. They come up with A Simple Plan however things deteriorate and you end up with an ok movie but nothing too memorable. It looks good and has solid acting but I must've missed something about halfway through which made me think what?...how?...okay, just go with it. This is apparently based on a true story of three guys at a lighthouse who vanish.

[center]
Tokyo Godfathers (2003) - Rewatch on Blu-ray -

the second time I've seen Tokyo Godfathers in the past week or so, a surprising turn for someone who'd said in the past that he'd never watch anything Kon directed. But what can I say? After seeing Perfect Blue, I realized I'd misjudged the director.
The first thing I thought about when seeing that you were reviewing this one.

I'm glad you liked it. I'd say that in terms of Kon's films, Millenium Actress is still my favorite, but Tokyo Godfathers is up there. Glad you're enjoying his work, because I think he makes really powerful films.

Welcome to the human race...
Why would you not want to watch Kon, Steve?

Dingo -

in Australia they call him Kilometres Davis

LOL. I’m confused as to who the lesbian is?

Institute Benjamenta, or This Dream That One Calls Human Life
(1995, Stephen Quay, Timothy Quay)

I need some time to wrap my brain around what I just saw - as of right now, no idea how to rate it.
But one thing is for sure: it's one of the most unique viewing experiences I've ever had, in every respect. Some of the visuals are just plain indescribable (very Eraserhead-like).
Damn..

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Millenium Actress
A great yet perfectible film. I think I like Perfect Blue the most, but this song:

Is truly life-changing, and it made me a Hirasawa believer (I hadn't been too big on him before).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Institute Benjamenta, or This Dream That One Calls Human Life
(1995, Stephen Quay, Timothy Quay)

I need some time to wrap my brain around what I just saw - as of right now, no idea how to rate it.
But one thing is for sure: it's one of the most unique viewing experiences I've ever had, in every respect. Some of the visuals are just plain indescribable (very Eraserhead-like).
Damn..
I don't always vibe with the Quays, but as you say sometimes they pull out imagery that is just fabulous.

A great yet perfectible film. I think I like Perfect Blue the most, but this song:

Is truly life-changing, and it made me a Hirasawa believer (I hadn't been too big on him before).
Sometimes when I am stressed, I watch this live performance of one of the songs from Paprika.

(I'm also a sucker for the theme song from Paranoia Agent which apparently Hirasawa doesn't himself love.)

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Why would you not want to watch Kon, Steve?
I was in my late teens when I said that - I guess I've matured somewhat since then, but it seemed like I heard a whole bunch of his fans crapping on Akira and Miyazaki (stuff like, "Satoshi Kon's films are more mature [than Akira]," "Spirited Away is overrated. Satoshi Kon's movies are 20x more awesome," and saying, "[Kon]'s better," to someone asking if any anime director has matched Miyazaki) to the point that I decided his work must not be for me and noped away from him and his work. After one of my friends a few months back who likes a lot of the same anime I do such as Akira, Miyazaki's works and the like, talking about how amazing Tokyo Godfathers was, I guess it was enough to get me started on reconsidering my previous thoughts.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Two Living, One Dead (Anthony Asquith, 1961)
6/10
Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow (James Neilson, 1963)
+ 6.5/10
A Nice Girl Like You (Riedell Bros., 2020)
5/10
The Painted Bird (Václav Marhoul, 2019)
- 7/10

A vast understatement - a virtual smörgåsbord of equal opportunity atrocity.
Monsieur Vincent (Maurice Cloche, 1947)
- 6.5/10
Sexmission (Juliusz Machulski, 1984)
+ 6/10
Ghosts of War (Eric Bress, 2020)
5/10
Father of a Soldier (Rezo Chkheidze, 1964)
7/10

Action-packed but incredibly humanistic WWII film.
Catching Hell (Alex Gibney, 2011)
6.5/10
The Fighting Prince of Donegal (Michael O'Herlihy, 1966)
+ 6/10
Grand Jury (Albert S. Rogell, 1936)
5/10
Andre the Giant (Jason Hehir, 2018)
7/10

The story of wrestling's (and my) favorite Big Man in the Ring.
The Portuguese Woman (Rita Azevedo Gomes, 2018)
5.5/10
I Like It Like That (Darnell Martin, 1994)
6.5/10
A Girl from Mogadishu (Mary McGuckian, 2019)
5.5/10
La Flor (Mariano Llinás, 2016)
6/10 at least 808 min

Mammoth multi-part epic with the cast playing multiple roles, usually with very little explained in each episode.
Radioactive (Marjane Satrapi, 2019)
6/10
Landless AKA Chão (Camila Freitas, 2019)
6/10
Banana Split (Benjamin Kasulke, 2018)
6/10
Killa AKA The Fort (Avinash Arun, 2014)
- 6.5/10

A boy and his mother share a coming of age experience when they relocate.

The Keeper of Lost Causes (2013) - 6.5/10. This was a good movie. It was probably a few inches away from being a classic or something like that. But a fun watch none the less. I saw that it had a sequel, I will try that next.