Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
London Has Fallen

(Babak Najafi)

A by the numbers, generic, nothing special, action thriller....redundant enough? That's what this film is. Explosion here, shootout there. As the carnage was unfolding I was asking myself, "how the hell did the terrorists pull this off?" There had to have been over 100 terrorists in on this plan to assassinate multiple world leaders. All of them are undercover wearing police uniforms and execute their plan perfectly. The plausibility of this ever happening has to be close to zero. When the poop hits the fan, there is Butler with his 'pop-pop' one two hits to every single bad guy imaginable. He's like the terminator.

The sequel to Olympus Has Fallen takes the POTUS to London, to attend the funeral of the British Prime Minister. All the world leaders will be there, perfect targets. Canada, Germany, Japan, France, all their leaders get killed. Yet the American President survive and Mike Banning must once again put his life on the line to protect the leader of the country.

The film unfortunately does not take advantage of the setting of London. After the initial attack, we are relegated to side streets, buildings and car chases. It literally could have taken place anywhere. Had the film decided to use some of the more famous locations it would have made it a tad more memorable. As it stands, this film is nothing more than the same old-same old.

As a side plot, the must be a mole within the agency. Yet by the end of the film, it seems to have forgotten about it and then we have a tacked on ending where they rush the tie up of loose ends. Messy story structure. I kept forgetting about this damn mole myself. I'm all for mindless action fun, but I was even thinking to myself "What's the point here?"

Butler carries the film, where people like Freeman are on autopilot. I don't blame him, he was given nothing to work with here.

Suspect's Reviews

I feel a bit out of place here, but the last movie I saw was the Nikita Mikhalkov's Barber of Siberia (1998). I always enjoy watching this film because of the slow development of characters and the overall atmosphere in the film. If I were to name one theme that best describes the entire movie, it would perhaps be the loss of innocence. Of course, I am talking about the original, extended version of the film that is (just like the literary works of real Tolstoy) quite long, but ultimately rewarding.

P.S. I don't like to use a 10-point scale to rate films just as I feel you can't rate people.

Unregistered User

The Set Up (1949)

Very good noir about an aging boxer who gets an opportunity at a final payday. Directed by the brilliant Robert Wise, its worth a watch for the 40's list.

Sure you can it's easy!....SevereEddie
I give him a

Five months here and only twenty posts. No info on his profile. No avatar.

Eddie, no need to be shy, jump in and start really talking. Fill out your profile. Choose an avatar. Pick a top ten.

Nostalghia (1983)

Yeah, it's not an easy task to hold and candle fire actually. I can see why this also big influence on oshii's Tenshi no tamago

I went on a new-movie binge watch in the last 2 days...

ARRIVAL
(2016)

Enjoyable and interesting new look on the alien/science fiction movie genre. Amy Adams is outstanding here (this might be her year to finally win the Oscar) as a linguist assigned by the government to communicate with the mysterious aliens who arrive in their oval shaped crafts on Earth and won't leave.

ZOOTOPIA
(2016)

I'm barely an animated movie viewer, but this instant classic and Trolls, which I watched earlier this week, are quickly making me a fan.

There are so many messages about social issues in Zootopia that are relevant in today's world: racism, social inequality, women's rights, and Islamophobia, and the movie does a great job addressing each one.

Aside from that, it's a very enjoyable animated movie that both kids and adults will love.

DON'T THINK TWICE
(2016)

Candid look in the world of improv comedy from Mike Birbiglia. I enjoyed the performances by Keegan Michael Key and Gillian Jacobs, the latter I have not heard of before but I've taken notice of now.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Color of Money (1986, multiple rewatch)
+

"See the guy with the tie pin in his nose? That's Moselle."

Just a great film. Great cast with small parts for Forest Whitaker and Iggy Pop. Quality soundtrack. Happy to finally own it on DVD.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moselle.png
Views:	449
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	28321  

+
Just a great film. Great cast with small parts for Forest Whitaker and Iggy Pop. Quality soundtrack. Happy to finally own it on DVD.
This was a severely underrated movie...Paul Newman gives a real movie star performance and I, too, LOVED Forrest Whitaker in this.

And here's one more for today...

FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
(2016)

Based on the true story of American socialite and possibly the worst soprano in music history Florence Foster Jenkins, this movie is genuinely funny and touching. It features yet another Oscar-worthy performance by Meryl Streep, as well as brilliant and also Oscar-worthy performances by Hugh Grant as Jenkins' husband and manager St. Clair Beyfield, and Simon Helberg as Jenkins' pianist and collaborator Cosme McMoon.

+

"See the guy with the tie pin in his nose? That's Moselle."

I love this movie! One of my all-time favorite Scorsese films. It's also one of Tom Cruise's best films.

Zombieland (2009)

And here's one more for today...

FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
(2016)

Based on the true story of American socialite and possibly the worst soprano in music history Florence Foster Jenkins, this movie is genuinely funny and touching. It features yet another Oscar-worthy performance by Meryl Streep, as well as brilliant and also Oscar-worthy performances by Hugh Grant as Jenkins' husband and manager St. Clair Beyfield, and Simon Helberg as Jenkins' pianist and collaborator Cosme McMoon.

Glad you posted that, I hadn't heard of that one. Onto my movie list it goes!

Can't wait for the sequel, and I'm hoping they don't screw it up! I wonder who they're bringing in this time for a cameo, and if he/she can match the hilarity of Bill Murray.

Glad you posted that, I hadn't heard of that one. Onto my movie list it goes!
You'll especially like it if you're into opera. I am not, but found the movie highly entertaining.