Coronavirus

Tools    

Many doctors & scientists are saying Omicron may be our saving grace.

Many say Omicron (with its symptoms amounting to no more than a cold) may provide antibodies and immunity to the C-19 virus and its variants, including the Delta variant.

The fact that Omicron is highly contagious (but not severe) may also be a very good thing as the more people who contract it (and Fauci says almost everyone will get it) the more people will be immune. The spread of Omicron may actually be a better thing than trying to prevent its spread.

Omicron may be the key to achieving herd immunity.

Grocery shopping is an unavoidable necessity. Going on a cruise in the middle of a Covid surge is not.
Going out with friends is also avoidable, yet I've seen you post about doing just that. And grocery shipping is not an unavoidable necessity, one can order their groceries online.
You're wrong on both points.

The trick is not minding
You don't need to be going anymore, you've been enough to the theater.

See how that sounds? That's what you said about the guy who's been on 3 cruises.

*of course I support your right to go the theater, I'm just making a comparative point.
I’ve never argued that going to the theater is necessary, so guess what? You’re right. I don’t need to. So since we’ve reach that agreement, that means the cruise is unnecessary, then, right? *

For the record, I stopped going to the movies months ago. Which sucks btw. *

I’ve never argued that going to the theater is necessary, so guess what? You’re right. I don’t need to. So since we’ve reach that agreement, that means the cruise is unnecessary, then, right? *

For the record, I stopped going to the movies months ago. Which sucks btw. *
Do we really want to start brow beating people for exercising their right to enjoy life with some new covid morality? That's not what I want to see happen in America. I do want people to obey pandemic laws and not violate them. I want you to enjoy life and I hope everyone stays safe.

A system of cells interlinked
It's only matter of time for me, folks. Christmas night, a friend stopped by for coffee, and said he had gone to a family gathering on X-mas eve. At that gathering, the host had everyone stop in to the garage on the way in, take a rapid test, and was then required to show their negative result. No one tested positive. By the next Saturday, 20 people from that gathering had COVID, including my friend. He is fine, btw, as are the rest of the people. The very next week, I came into work and was the only employee working, as every other employee was out sick with COVID, with each of them tracing their cases to New Years/Holiday gatherings.

My wife works at a day care center, which my daughter also attends. Over half of the staff has been out at various time with COVID over the past 3 weeks, with several kids being quarantined at any given time. At no point through all this did anyone in my immediate family get COVID. Alas, we seem to be having too many near misses, and I would think our number will be up any day now... My wife just texted and said two more teachers are down with COVID, including Stella's teacher. We all still fell fine as of right now.

Yikes!

The trick is not minding
Do we really want to start brow beating people for exercising their right to enjoy life with some new covid morality? That's not what I want to see happen in America. I do want people to obey pandemic laws and not violate them. I want you to enjoy life and I hope everyone stays safe.
I wasn’t brow beating anyone. I merely posted that going on cruise wasn’t necessary, and postponing it wouldn’t be such a bad idea, while agreeing that it isn’t necessary for me to go out to the movies either. Which is true. But I also didn’t condemn the person in any way, what so ever.

I wasn’t brow beating anyone. I merely posted that going on cruise wasn’t necessary, and postponing it wouldn’t be such a bad idea, while agreeing that it isn’t necessary for me to go out to the movies either. Which is true. But I also didn’t condemn the person in any way, what so ever.
I'm sorry Wylde I didn't mean to say you personally were brow beating anyone, you weren't. I was talking collectively about society moving towards that means. I should've made that more clear.

*that's why I said we, meaning society in general.
'Do we really want to start brow beating people'

It's only matter of time for me, folks. Christmas night, a friend stopped by for coffee, and said he had gone to a family gathering on X-mas eve. At that gathering, the host had everyone stop in to the garage on the way in, take a rapid test, and was then required to show their negative result. No one tested positive. By the next Saturday, 20 people from that gathering had COVID, including my friend. He is fine, btw, as are the rest of the people. The very next week, I came into work and was the only employee working, as every other employee was out sick with COVID, with each of them tracing their cases to New Years/Holiday gatherings.

My wife works at a day care center, which my daughter also attends. Over half of the staff has been out at various time with COVID over the past 3 weeks, with several kids being quarantined at any given time. At no point through all this did anyone in my immediate family get COVID. Alas, we seem to be having too many near misses, and I would think our number will be up any day now... My wife just texted and said two more teachers are down with COVID, including Stella's teacher. We all still fell fine as of right now.

Yikes!
Question, were all the people absent from your work with covid, the same people at the Xmas party that had to be tested in the garage?

Best wishes for you and your family.

Seriously, I'm done freaking out about covid, sure it's a threat but Omicron isn't nearly as deadly as Delta and I've been vaccinated and boosted. 3 years ago, pre-pandemic I never worried about catching the flu and millions die from that. We need to keep things in perspective and not let the media scare us into phobias.
I’m not freaking out (and never have been). I’m triple-vaxxed, so is husband. I wear a mask to church & in stores if it’s mandatory. Never wear a mask outside as it makes no sense. So, I’ve done everything I can to stay safe.

I said I’m not freaking out, but I have had tons of anxiety these past 2 years. Eating disorders have returned though nothing like they were in my twenties. A lot of compulsive “arranging” & “organizing” in the house. Feeling I must do certain things at definite times of the day, etc. I’m losing my mind!

The Adventure Starts Here!

Yikes!
Try not to overly fear it. Hubby (who has several risk-factor issues in tow!) just came off a bout with Covid. His symptoms were really mild. He coughed some, slept a lot, and had a slight fever (under 100) on a day or two. Nothing else. Feels fine now. Everyone else we've heard of who's had it in the past few months has had light symptoms, even a few who are unvaccinated. (We are vaxxed and boosted here.)

Honestly, if the doctor's office hadn't routinely tested him for Covid, we would have thought he had a mild cold or something less. I didn't get it (we have a big house), but I wasn't worried about it either way--except that it keeps resetting the clock on when my side of the family can get together for CHRISTMAS, which hasn't happened yet due to various issues, including hubby's Covid diagnosis.

My curiosity is not how many "cases" are out there now, but how many hospitalizations and deaths are happening. I was surprised to learn, for instance, that the first Omicron death in the U.S. happened only a few weeks ago. If you'd listen to only the wording of news headlines ("surge," "outbreak," "overwhelming," etc.), you'd have thought people were dropping like flies. And around here, any hospital numbers and issues of trying to handle hospitalizations is mainly due to short staffing issues more so than lack of beds (as in 2020).

What I find vexing is the news media's continued insistence on creating NEWS NEWS NEWS and being disingenuous about how they word headlines and sound bites. Makes it tougher to find out what's really going on.

--

Also, we've got another cruise booked for early May. Definitely looking forward to it.

And around here, any hospital numbers and issues of trying to handle hospitalizations is mainly due to short staffing issues more so than lack of beds (as in 2020).
Right, but, surely, the “short staffing issues” are due to the fact that members of the staff have Covid?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Right, but, surely, the “short staffing issues” are due to the fact that members of the staff have Covid?
Or nurses have just burned out and have not come back to work or found other, less taxing work. Even so, that doesn't mean they're really all that sick. Hubby had to stay home from work for nearly two weeks but wasn't SICK all that time. It was simply protocol.

I’m not freaking out (and never have been). I’m triple-vaxxed, so is husband. I wear a mask to church & in stores if it’s mandatory. Never wear a mask outside as it makes no sense. So, I’ve done everything I can to stay safe.

I said I’m not freaking out, but I have had tons of anxiety these past 2 years. Eating disorders have returned though nothing like they were in my twenties. A lot of compulsive “arranging” & “organizing” in the house. Feeling I must do certain things at definite times of the day, etc. I’m losing my mind!
Sorry to hear about your eating disorders Hope you're doing better now....I do understand anxiety! For the first time in two years the wife and I went to my parents house for a holiday dinner, I felt a little nervous taking off my mask to eat. But the food was good!

I believe that healthy people who are vaccinated and boosted and take reasonably precautions will be OK, even if they catch covid...Omicron isn't that deadly compared to Delta*

*I'm not belittling the covid threat though, just making logical sense of it in the overall scheme of life.

The trick is not minding
I'm sorry Wylde I didn't mean to say you personally were brow beating anyone, you weren't. I was talking collectively about society moving towards that means. I should've made that more clear.

*that's why I said we, meaning society in general.
'Do we really want to start brow beating people'
Gotcha.

BS? Prove it. I want hard stats or you just blowing smoke.
Stats on what? That people have to get food in order to stay alive but they don’t have to go on cruises? Is that a joke? As for grocery shopping services/delivery, that costs extra money and is a luxury many people can’t afford. Your argument is ridiculous.

As for me “going out with friends” what exactly are you talking about? Quote the posts. Except for Funny Face, who I see most days and never bothered to distance from because we’re coworkers, I’ve seen very little of my (3) friends since the start of the pandemic. I think I’ve seen my friend Candice a total of two times last year despite living in the same neighborhood - once in June(?) to meet her new kittens and then on Christmas Eve to exchange gifts. She and everyone in her household are fully vaccinated. Prior to that I’d seen her shortly before last Christmas when we did an outdoor gift exchange while wearing masks. My best friend Liz I saw twice in 2020 after the lockdowns started- when we talked from a distance outside while wearing masks. The first time was on my birthday. The second was shortly before Christmas. After being vaccinated we saw more of each other which usually meant cooking at home or getting take-out. I went over to her house the evening of Christmas Eve to do our traditional gingerbread house decorating (which we did not do in 2020). I was the only guest. Everyone present was vaccinated and I only interacted closely with my friend and her two brothers. When I do eat at a restaurant with a friend, which isn’t often, we eat outside when possible, stay as far away from other patrons as possible, wash and sanitize our hands, and wear masks when not eating. If I’m by myself and getting food, I call ahead and pick it up. I don’t think I’ve been to the movie theater since 2019. I did spend one day at the Renaissance Faire with Funny Face last year, but that was an outdoor event and we social distanced and wore our masks.

Stats on what? That people have to get food in order to stay alive but they don’t have to go on cruises? Is that a joke? ...
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
I'm saying both are risky but that doesn't make them equivalent and the comparison of the two is BS.
Once again:

BS? Prove it. I want hard stats or you just blowing smoke.