How many times did you go to the movie theatre this year?

Tools    

I don't go to theaters anymore. I haven't been to a theater since 2008. Too expensive. Too crowded. Too much work. I don't even know if they sell tickets in the theaters anymore. Everything is done online. I watch everything streaming or on discs.
That's me too.

The last movie I seen at the theater was in 2006 for Happyfeet. I didn't want to see that but my wife did. There was a teenage couple that set right next to me, the girl set on the guys lap and during the movie they talked, talked, talked, talked... until I was so livid I almost poured my soda over their **** heads. Besides it's way too expensive for me now. I don't have cable or dish either for the same reason=too much$$$

Looking at how I tagged things on letterboxed and then just counting, it looks like I went to the theater 38 times.
Number of movies I've seen from 2023 though, less than 10.
The movie I watched most in theaters was Barry Lyndon, coming in at twice.

ETA: looking at the actual movie count, it looks like that was 63 movies in a theater in those 38 visits.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Zero.

Zero since 2019.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Seven times, which actually feels pretty good! Even bad movies are better in a theater. Here's what I saw:

Aftersun
Ponyo
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
Star Wars
2001: A Space Odyssey
Killers of the Flower Moon

I have a home theater (30 ft screen). So... ...EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. PEASANTS!!!!

OK, truth be told my home is a theater. I'm a projectionist and I'm kind of broke and the manager lets me crash in the booth. So, no quite so cool, but I still go to the theater every day. At any rate, I've started a kickstarter to buy a personality so that I can get a real job. Haven't met the goal yet. Fingers crossed.

OK, OK, not true either. What was the question again?

You know, there isn't a "right" answer to these sorts of questions, but I think that might be the right answer.

A few more subcategories for anyone who's interested:

Movies I wish I could have seen in theaters: Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon. The 3+ hour running times don't work for me logistically and physically (sitting still for even a 2 hour movie makes me drowsy no matter how good it is).

Movie I could have seen for free, but didn't: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. I won a free ticket for eating at Applebee's, but had no inclination to redeem it. While I love the first three dearly, I couldn't care less about this one.

Movie I hope to see in a theater: The Boy and the Heron
Yeah, Oppenheimer is one I wish I had seen in theaters (just like Gravity back in the day). I almost went, but it just didn't happen.

A system of cells interlinked
Let's see...

MI:7, Oppenheimer, and most recently for Napoleon

I had planned on for sure seeing Dune at cinemas, but it got pushed, so ended up going to Ridley Scott's latest in its place. Probably should have opted for for Godzilla instead!

Zero. Like a few others, I haven't gone to theaters in many years (more than ten years, maybe closer to 15). Mobile phones and a general lack of manners started to be a problem then, and I can only imagine it's gotten worse.

The trick is not minding
To add on what I posted above, I don’t have issue with others being on their phones, or talking or being disruptive. Only a few of these were crowded, Winnie The Pooh: Blood and Honey was surprisingly crowded. Oppenheimer was, Barbie I think was? Thanksgiving was. I aim to see a few more soon at my local cinema because you can’t beat the big screen and I like supporting the smaller films.

2023 Films I saw in theaters :

Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
Infinity Pool
Beau is Afraid
Oppenheimer
Barbie
Asteroid City
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Thanksgiving
Godzilla Minus One
Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
John Wick 4

And….hmmm. I’m forgetting a few.

And of course I am not done with my theatrical viewings for the year. I will definitely see Poor Things, Maestro, and probably American Fiction at least, plus my usual yuletide screening of Die Hard. Others, time permitting, I am sure. 'Tis the season.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This kind of thread is depressing from the angle of younger years. Have countless memories of cinemas and drive-ins, our only avenues at the time. Saddens me to see that it's becoming a bygone era. Too many things are disappearing.

Damn global warming...

Drive-in theaters were cool! And lots of fun, way more fun than setting in a small screened theater with hyper sonic sound systems and wall to wall phone displays lighting up the faces of the perennially bored masses.

Whoa. I came into this thread thinking "Not much at all," and then got whiplashed into "OMG that's right I saw Cocaine Bear in the theater!"

Okay, not in order, but in the theater I saw:
Barbie (twice!)
Talk to Me
Beau is Afraid
Infinity Pool
TMNT: Mutant Mayhem
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Renfield
Cocaine Bear
M3GAN

I sort of feel like I'm forgetting something, but maybe not. For me, this is a lot of movies. This year I did more of just going to see a movie on my own, which I'd forgotten how much I enjoy.

The trick is not minding
I wish I was of age during the 70’s during the grind house era. I would have loved the films that appeared in cinemas and drive ins during that time. So many exploitation films I would have enjoyed.

Only 7. My job keeps me pretty busy.