The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... INFERNAL AFFAIRS

RT – 94%, IMDb – 8.0

Roger Ebert said:

"What makes it so intriguing is that as the story grows more tangled, the lives of the two characters take on a hidden desperation. Both of them have spent so long pretending to be someone else that their performances have become the reality." (read full review here)
David Stratton said:

"It’s a clever little concept right there, and it’s one which plays off the idea that has always been at the centre of film noir: what is the distinction between good and evil? Do we judge men by the actions they do? ... Infernal Affairs is a great little film, and one that any neo-noir fan owes it to themselves to catch." (read full review here)
@JacobKyon said:

"It wasn't that bad. But still, the practice of seeing the remake before the original can really switch up your ordinary "original is better than remake" perspective, because damn, Infernal Affairs sure made The Departed look like Citizen F-ing Kane." (read full review here)

AWARDS?

Fireworks received numerous awards and nominations around the world. Some of the most notable are:
  • Four (4) Blue Ribbon Awards, including Best Film, Best Actor and Best Director (Takeshi Kitano)
  • Two (2) Manichi Film Concours Awards, including Best Supporting Actor (Ren Ôsugi)
  • Two (2) Kinema Junpo Awards, including Best Film
  • Two (2) Hochi Film Awards, including Best Film

AWARDS?

Infernal Affairs received numerous awards and nominations around the world. Some of the most notable are:
  • Seven (7) Hong Kong Film Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director
  • Six (6) Golden Horse Award, including Best Feature Film and Best Director
  • Four (4) Golden Bauhinia Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director
  • Two (2) Hong Kong Film Critics Society Award, including Best Actor
  • One (1) Blue Ribbon Award for Best Foreign Language Film

Have watched Fireworks but am ashamed to admit never having seen Infernal Affairs. Neither of them were on my ballot list.

Stats: Pit Stop #1

Now that we've hit the first pit stop (90), here are some stats:

Decade Breakdown
  • 1960s = 4
  • 1970s = 2
  • 1980s = 0
  • 1990s = 3
  • 2000s = 1
  • 2010s = 0
  • 2020s = 0

Strong showing from the 1960s and the 1990s right out of the gate. Personally, I think those are the strongest decades for neo-noir (or maybe the 1970s), but we'll see if that continues to be the case here.

Also, no point in doing a director breakdown cause there have been no repeats so far.

The trick is not minding
Stats: Pit Stop #1

Now that we've hit the first pit stop (90), here are some stats:

Decade Breakdown
  • 1960s = 4
  • 1970s = 2
  • 1980s = 0
  • 1990s = 3
  • 2000s = 1
  • 2010s = 0
  • 2020s = 0

Strong showing from the 1960s and the 1990s right out of the gate. Personally, I think those are the strongest decades for neo-noir (or maybe the 1970s), but we'll see if that continues to be the case here.

Also, no point in doing a director breakdown cause there have been no repeats so far.
60’s and 70’s really are great decades for Neo Noir.

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen both of these - and really liked both of them.

92. Fireworks - Or otherwise known as Hana-bi - I saw this when I was checking out some Beat Takeshi movies. Violent, emotionally satisfying and visually interesting - but I remember the violence most of all. I noted that I'd have to see it a few times before I had a full grasp on it - some really good films are like that, which I guess is frustrating to the casual movie-goer. Takeshi's films as a whole have a style all their own, and this one was the first I ever tackled.

91. Infernal Affairs - This one I've watched more recently, after hearing about it for so many years. I was pretty familiar with the story thanks to The Departed, but I felt this version hit harder by having a much more lean running time. It races through all of the events that lead up to this epic climax between a cop pretending to be a crook, and a crook pretending to be a cop - diametrically opposed and both given the tasks of rooting the other out. I liked that it had emotionally complicated characters navigating a foggy minefield - trying to live some kind of life amongst the danger, with the pace, the visuals, the style, sound and the story all working well in conjunction.

Really good movies - but none from my ballot yet.

Seen : 7/10
Heard of : 9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Enjoying a day at the park with one of my kids, so my reveals will come later in the afternoon.

Enjoying a day at the park with one of my kids, so my reveals will come later in the afternoon.
Valuing family over movies? I can't believe you, man.

A system of cells interlinked
5/10 seen - still no votes.

I have been meaning to watch Infernal Affairs for years now, but still haven't gotten around to it...I have never heard of Fireworks.

Valuing family over movies? I can't believe you, man.

No, no, no. Family over the forum. Movies go above family

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have not seen either the original Purple Noon or the remake The Talented Mr. Ripley and truly need to rectify that, though I hold the original as the more demanding of the two.

95. Shallow Grave
Is one I love and utterly forgot about when making my list. It would have easily hit in the higher middle of my list.
It kicks off with a montage of not-so-likely new flatmates for the three starring characters and how they dismiss them all. But soon, the possible fourth flatmate is found and moves in—only to die a day later. While rifling through his things, they find a suitcase of money.

And so begins the spiraling premise of this movie. While we learn of the original three's relationships, we are introduced to their disposition to greed and what they, as individuals and as a group, are willing to do. And then, what happens with that decision and following through with the consequences, including the bad men that the money belongs to.

While the premise and probable end game aren't all that new, they are delivered with a dark wit that I rather enjoy. The characters are displayed for us to know, and we begin to root for our favorite as things get more and more severe and as their relationships fray and fall apart. The satisfying ending includes what happens to them all.

93. The Hustler
Growing up with a pool table in the house and the joy of playing on that table in my old age, this movie was and remained very high in my favorite heavily rewatched films throughout my life. Showcasing the dark, gritty underbelly of pool halls and one particular cocky side hustler played brilliantly by Paul Newman against the legendary and actual pool player extraordinaire, Minnesota Fats, done with equal brilliance by Jackie Gleason. The final aspect of the parasitic financial backers that prey on every game's outcome is led by George C. Scott.
I'm not entirely sure why I did not include this one and have no real argument for it except a more ingrained perception as a Shakespearean drama of pool hustling and not specifically a neo-noir. It is another that would have been very high on my list, definitely in the top ten easily.

92. Fireworks aka Hana-bi

Did not make my list, but one I thoroughly enjoyed due in part to the insight I gained when I saw this in an HoF. I discovered the more retrospective side of Kitano. Researching, I discovered even more beneath the stilled waters of this gentleman.
Such as much like the crippled detective who learns to paint, so did Kitano after a very serious motorcycle accident. In fact, all of the artwork in this film was done by Kitano himself.
Another intriguing aspect that pleasantly surprised me was that, in Japan, he is far more known as a comedian than as the stoic and violent character he plays in many of his yakuza-related movies.

91. Infernal Affairs

An excellent crime drama that I've held over its American version, The Departed was one of my reluctant final cuts.

Seen 5 out of 10 (50%)
25. Things to do in Denver When You're Dead (1995) One-Pointer

The Talented Mr. Ripley was my #4. Featuring a first rate performance from Matt Damon as a guy who slithers in from modest means to high society using bluffing, guile and if all else fails, murder. Supposedly, he's there to bring Dickie (Jude Law) home, but the more Mr. Ripley sees the good life...the more he realizes he wants it for himself.

A solid supporting cast including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Law and Gwyneth Paltrow assist with their performances. Also, strong direction from Anthony Minghella takes Patricia Highsmith's novel and places you in their world with the good, the bad and the complicated. It was so good that I dragged my friends out there to see it a week or two later.

I saw Shallow Grave and I liked it...a mad scramble as three characters play chess trying to get a suitcase of money for themselves. Also, Danny Boyle's feature debut! But it missed the list for me.

List:

4. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

25. Kill Me Again (1989)

Seen: 4/10

3lists40points
Dead Again
Director

Kenneth Branagh, 1991

Starring

Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Derek Jacobi, Andy García

2lists41points
La Haine
Director

Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995

Starring

Vincent Cassel, Hubert Koundé, Saïd Taghmaoui, Abdel Ahmed Ghili

TRAILERS

Dead Again - A woman who has lost her memory is taken in by a Los Angeles orphanage, and a private eye is enlisted to track down her identity, but he soon finds that he might have a past life connection to her that endangers their lives.

La Haine - Three friends from a poor neighborhood react differently to one of their friends being injured by the police in the middle of some major riots in Paris.

I watched La Haine several years back and thought it was really good. It must've either not been on any of the existing Neo-Noir lists I looked at or I just overlooked it somehow because I don't think it was ever in consideration for my ballot.

Reply to Topic