Thursday's Top 100 (2016)

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
WARNING: "Let the Right One In" spoilers below
There are no spoilers later revealed about Eli - they were in the book only. The quick flash of nudity certainly proves nothing. These are all "non-spoiler spoilers".

Unregistered User
Great last set Thursday. 24 hour Party People and Rebecca are both favourites of mine. That soundtrack for 24 is sublime and Rebecca is possibly the best Hitch.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
In the Mood For Love (2000)

"Feelings can creep up just like that. I thought I was in control."

The title sums up the film, it’s about love, but it’s just as much about the mood. Composition and emotion are inextricably intertwined in a sort of Brief Encounter-style story of unconsummated longing set in 1960s Hong Kong, with plenty of shots through doorways of people staring wistfully into the distance. Wong Kar Wai’s best film.

12 Angry Men (1957)

"I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will ever really know. Nine of us now seem to feel that the defendant is innocent, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be wrong. We may be trying to let a guilty man go free, I don't know. Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's sure."

This was the film that made me realise that films didn’t need to have all the things I thought I liked in films. They just had to be good at whatever they did. 12 Angry Men is a very simple, stripped down film, one setting, all talk, black and white, no fancy camera work, but it’s gripping as anything. Great performances and a thought-provoking script.

#78 Wild Zero (1999)

"Love has no borders, nationalities, or genders!"
"Rock 'n Roll is NOT over! Rock 'n Roll NEVER DIES!"

After saving his favourite band, Guitar Wolf, from an evil manager, hapless fan Ace finds himself in the middle of an alien zombie apocalypse and romances the shy Tobio. There’s also a sub-plot involving a badass female arms dealer who fights zombies in the shower, exploding heads and guitar picks used as weapons.

If this sounds like the sort of thing you might like, then this is the sort of thing you might like. Hugely entertaining, with energy, off -beat humour, romance and tongue in cheek zombie action, it’s absurd cult fun that defies normal critical standards.

Honourable mention: Shaun of the Dead, another rom-zom-com that didn’t quite make the cut.

The Rules of the Game (1939)

"The awful thing about life is this: Everybody has their reasons."

This is one of those films that I’m not quite sure how to explain exactly why I like it. It’s not just one thing, or even a list of identifiable features - acting, cinematography, score etc. It’s just such a complete film, humour, tragedy, love, folly, the whole human condition. I found it riveting.

Paris Texas (1984)

Another fascinating film. This used to be higher on my list but I haven’t seen it again in the last ten years and I’ve seen a lot of good films in the meantime. It’s hard to say what this film is ‘about’, because it isn’t a plot-driven film, it’s more about characters and mood. This is really a film about loss, very melancholy and wistful. It’s America presented as a foreign country, an alien landscape.

Honourable Mention: Another Wim Wenders film, Wings of Desire.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Nice top. I gave Wild Zero only
, but who knows how I'd rate it nowadays. I remember that after I've watched it I applied some grease to my hair, combed it back and went to the store pretending I am one of these guys from the film.

I've been looking forward to In the Mood for Love and Paris, Texas for some time now. Hopefully I'll get to them soon.

I should get to Rules of the Game this week.

Of course I love 12 Angry Men

Rep for 12 Angry Men and Wild Zero. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as you did, but it's fun and it's always nice to hear/see that someone else has seen it. I saw it at the same time I saw Versus and Junk. Junk is the only one which I really went for.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

12 Angry Men (1957)

"I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will ever really know. Nine of us now seem to feel that the defendant is innocent, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be wrong. We may be trying to let a guilty man go free, I don't know. Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's sure."

This was the film that made me realise that films didn’t need to have all the things I thought I liked in films. They just had to be good at whatever they did. 12 Angry Men is a very simple, stripped down film, one setting, all talk, black and white, no fancy camera work, but it’s gripping as anything. Great performances and a thought-provoking script.

12 Angry Men is one of the greatest movies ever made.

The African Queen (1951)

If, for some reason, all movies were only allowed to have one plot, this story of two people who bicker their way from mistrust to friendship to love through a series of perilous adventures would probably be the one I’d pick. Love! Humour! Adventure! What more could you want?

Memorable quote: “By the authority granted to me by his Imperial Majestey Kaiser Wilhelm the Second I pronounce you man and wife - proceed with the execution.”

Honourable mention: Romancing the Stone, which, while nowhere near making my top 100, is another fun film in a similar vein. This is the sort of thing I like, ok?

The Thin Man (1934)

Reporter: Well, can't you tell us anything about the case?
Nick Charles: Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking.

Smart, fast paced and funny with plenty of style. You’ve got to admire the characters who can trade witty one-liners and solve a murder while permanently on the lash. The chemistry between William Powell and Myrna Loy is great, and it’s actually quite refreshing to see the depiction of a happily married couple rather than a will they/won't they romantic subplot.

They Shoot Horses Don’t They? (1969)

“Do you think they're laying out two bits a throw just to watch you poke your head up into the sunlight or Alice look like she just stepped out of a beauty parlor? They don't give a damn whether you win or James and Ruby or Mario and Jackie or the Man in the Moon and Little Miss Muffet. They just want to see a little misery out there so they can feel a little better maybe. They're entitled to that.”

Watched this fairly recently, for the 60s countdown and it certainly had an impact on me. A devastatingly bleak movie in which desperate people compete in a gruelling and ultimately futile dance marathon competition during the depression of the 1930s. There’s a sort of grim beauty to it and it’s very well acted all round with an acidly sharp script.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread, but there are a whole lot of films here that I haven't seen.
Well there are a whole lot of good films you have yet to see, then