The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Crouching is ok but I'm super surprised again to see it this high for some reason. I didn't know it had this much love.

The Wrestler I haven't seen. I'm not sure that I've liked an Aronofsky yet though but maybe this would be the one.

A system of cells interlinked
My guess was going to be The Da Vinci Code, but I was late logging on today. The reveals also came a bit early, yea?

Anyway - I like both films a lot. The Wrestler sort of slipped my mind as I put my list together, and I think I would have needed a re-watch to refresh the film in my mind.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had a good chance of making my list, but was ultimately cut for what I consider to be a better film of the same nature, which I am now thinking won't make the countdown at this point.

No points.

The Wrestler is one of those I see mentioned and always think "Oh yeah, seen that" but on checking find out I actually never have. Must remedy that one day. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I've seen a few times, including in prep for this countdown, and was briefly in consideration for my ballot but slipped out of the running.

Seen: 29/48 (Own: 21/48)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
52. Lilja 4-ever [Lilya 4-ever] (2002)
51. Persepolis (2007)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did not make my ballot, but is a sentimental favorite of mine. My family went out to dinner at a restaurant one Friday night and then went to a theater to see the film. The theater's heat had gone out and it was SO COLD. All of the packed theater was in our coats and hats and gloves.

I know now that the wire work and story stuff has been around for ages, but it was the first time for me to see something like it on the big screen. I also think that it's totally gorgeous.

Seen both, voted for none...

Like I said above, it's been a long time since I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and I barely remember it at all. Still, I remember not being a huge fan of it. Maybe I wasn't that familiar with wuxia films (I'm still not...?) but I remember thinking there was a subplot towards the middle of the film that dragged a bit for me. Then again, I was 20-ish. I've been meaning to rewatch it, though.

As for The Wrestler, I really liked it. Well acted, emotional, and intense. Had it on my shortlist, but it still didn't make my ballot.

As of now...

Seen: 35/48

My ballot:  

The reveals also came a bit early, yea?
I took the next few days off work, so I figure why wait?

I know now that the wire work and story stuff has been around for ages, but it was the first time for me to see something like it on the big screen. I also think that it's totally gorgeous.
I didn't see it in theaters, but I think it was my first time as well seeing that kind of acrobatic fights, and my reaction was more like "Oh, c'mooon!!!" I think I might enjoy it a bit more now

Aronofsky's The Wrestler was #81 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. Somehow Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon missed that list and just as shockingly likewise didn't show on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. I had Crouching Tiger at #19 - admittedly the point on my ballot where I'd gone through all the locked picks (more or less) and was virtually picking at random, but at the same time I stand by this choice. Not sure how many martial arts films are ultimately going to be representing on this list in one form or another but if only one had to make it then it should definitely be this as Lee's extremely versatile approach to the various modes of action, drama, and romance make him perfect for a film that combines all three as well as this does. Still undecided as to whether it's his overall best (aside from maybe a certain other film that's liable to make this list - yes, I'm talking about Hulk), but still an excellent film that deserved its surprise international success. As for The Wrestler, I remember digging it a lot on release but I haven't felt much cause to go back to it (though Aronofsky's love of making such intense and/or miserable experiences seems to actively deter repeat viewings). I'd still say it's one of his better ones, for whatever that's worth these days.

The Wrestler was great at the time and probably Aronofsky's best (even though I voted for a different Aronofsky film and not this lol) not sure I have a ton of interest in seeing it again though, especially given how empty all his other films are (just like his obvious inspiration Satoshi Kon). I can't believe I've still not seen Crouching Tiger. It looks dope.

Watched Crouching Tiger a couple years ago to erase the blind spot. Gave it a 3.5 so apparently I liked it. Don’t really remember any of the story at all. Looked cool of course.

I have watched The Wrestler three times now thinking this will be the top me it becomes a favorite. Seems like the kind of character centered movie I should love. I just keep thinking it’s very good. Maybe next time.

Have seen so far: 17 - The Wrestler - This movie isn't a favorite of mines but thought it was a decent one though
Have not seen so far: 35

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The Wrestler is pretty high on my list at 9. I heard a criticism that Aronofsky held his sensibilities back too much and that it's a regression for him overall, but there's something exciting about seeing what directors do with a lower budget, more traditional and straightforward stories, shorter running time, etc. When it works, we get movies like The Straight Story, Punch-Drunk Love and this one. It's sort of like a filmmaking version of the technical challenge from The Great British Baking Show (but more fun, of course).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Wrestler is another character study, and who would have thought that the world of wrestling would provide such believable characters? I haven't really paid attention to wrestling since the 1970s, but the first two bouts in this film do provide the goods as far as both the violence (which seems to get mentioned a lot here) and especially the humor. These bouts are downright funny, and that was the main draw for watching wrestling when I was a kid anyway. I just thought is was really funny to see people "sneak up" on somebody or see the referees get creamed. Anyway, I should leave my personal anecdote aside and address Aranofsky's newest film. I believe everybody knows it involves an aging wrestler (Mickey Rourke) who is nearing the end of the line and is trying to find some semblance of normal life by romancing a stripper (Marisa Tomei) and making amends to his estranged daughter (Evan Rachel Wood). The wrestler's other problems involve having financial problems and then learning that he has extreme health problems which will keep him from ever entering the ring again.

The Wrestler didn't really draw me in with the opening scenes because Aranofsky used the camera technique pioneered recently by the Dardenne brothers of following close behind the protagonist and following wherever he goes. I realize that it's meant to make the viewer feel inside the world of the character, but it often seems a substitute for having to actually focus on the character's face to not only see the world he sees but to see it reflected through his own eyes. (Besides, Dardenne brothers' movies seem to spend half of their time focusing on "walking around"; if I wanted to put the viewer into somebody's world, I'd use subjective camera rather than this stalker stuff.) Anyway, once the camera started to actually focus on the characters' faces, I felt more empathy for them and they came alive. There is a lot of unspoken life in all the characters' actions and reactions and it gives The Wrestler its quiet power. I liked all three main performances, even if I didn't fully understand their exact life situations, I could believe in them more than some of my own friends and family because sometimes it's really difficult to crack through the outer shells of those you "know". Mickey Rourke nails his role because you can see that he's made a lot of mistakes and he wants to make amends, but he just really has no experience at living any kind of "normal" life. All he knows is the life of a loner wrestler, and although he enjoys the camaraderie and the notoriety, he realizes it will never make him a whole man.

I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon more than once at the theatre, and one of those times was with a close friend who couldn't accept the "flying". I loved most everything about it, especially not knowing or maybe even understanding what would happen next. If anything, the thing which separates it from most "kung fu" movies is that it's about forbidden love. Maybe all the love in the film isn't forbidden but the true love story in the film, the one between Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat, is completely unfulfilled, at least physically. The younger couple ARE able to consummate their love, but it's for such a fleeting time that it should help to persuade one that Ang Lee has a hard time in believing that love can last. It should have been on my list but I did some rearranging to make room for some other movies.

I should probably rewatch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I saw it when it was new, but I think I had the wrong expectations going into it. I wasn't at all engaged with the romance and drama, and found the entire thing very boring. I was also only about 13 at the time though, so I imagine I would probably appreciate it a lot more now.

Whenever the Wrestler had come up over the years, my knee-jerk reaction was always "I hate wrestling, I have no interest in this" but people would tell me "That doesn't matter; it's actually really good!". I never took their word for it though. Maybe I'll give it a chance some day, maybe I won't. We'll see.

Seen: 26/48

My List:
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The Wrestler - saw it in the theatre back then. One of the classics of the new century in my view. It got 16 points from me being my #10 of the decade. My rate 4.50/5. I consider a re-watch soon.

---
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - knowing its popularity among the crowd, I finally saw it for the first time about a year ago. Well filmed, interesting story but these flying people are too much that's why I rate it 3.5/5 instead of deserved 4.00.
This movie is ranked #17 on MoFo 2000 Film Chart.

Seen 25/48.
--
My list:
4. Snatch [#71.]
9. Amores perros [#81.]
10. The Wrestler [#54.]
14. The Man Who Wasn't There [#84.]

--
(seen one pointers 3/38)

Not on my ballot Top 100 movies I'd support: