So i'm trying to get my bf into foreign films...

Tools    

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Hey guys, based on these likes and dislikes of his, which foreign films do you guys recommend i show to him? So far i've won him over with Delicatessen, City of God and Amelie so now he's definitely open to the idea of foreign movies, in fact he keeps asking to rent them but he really doesn't like old movies which is a big problem of course so which modern foreign films do you guys think would be best? And i already checked my movie store they don't have Oldboy and i'm already planning on showing him The Host and he has already seen Hero and Pan's Labyrinth, thanks guys!

Le Pacte Des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf)

It doesn't have the quirkiness of other French films like Delicatessen or Amelie, but it is my favorite foreign language film and one of my favorite films overall. It's visually stunning and has an interesting story and a wonderful mix of mystery, suspense and even a touch of romance (with some cool martial arts thrown in).

Another really good one is Ą la folie... pas du tout (He Loves Me He Loves Me Not). This French movie tells the story of a man and a woman - first from one's perspective and then from the other's - leaving the viewer to figure out what's really going on between them.

Akira Kurosawa: The Seven Samurai (1954)
Wolfgang Petersen: Das Boot (1981)
Amores Perros (2000)
City of Lost Children which was directed by the same guy who did Delicatessen

If he liked Amelie, and such, he would probably like one of my favorite foreign films. It is called Le dīner de cons. In english it is the Dinner Game. It is a funny French movie about a dinner with a contest involved for those who bring "Idiots" to the dinner. I think he would appreciate the movie seeing as how he is a guy, and I have gotten many positive responses from guys who have watched this movie. Enjoy!

-Cat

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Dinner Game is fun. My faves include Z, War and Peace (1967), The Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, Divorce - Italian Style, Cyrano de Bergerac (1990), Ofelas (Pathfinder), Berlin Alexanderplatz, The Downfall, The Kingdom, Sophie Scholl: The Last Days, My Father's Glory, Olympia, The Baker's Wife, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Macario, Seven Samurai, Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, The Magician, The Two of Us, The Shop on Main Street, Come and See and dozens others...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Some modern non-English language films he might like:

Let the Right One In
Battle Royale
Gegen die Wand (Head-On)
Abre los Ojos (Open Your Eyes)
(the film that was remade as Vanilla Sky. Much better than the remake)
Infernal Affairs (remade as The Departed)
The Devil's Backbone (from the same director as Pan's Labyrinth)
Lust, Caution
In the Mood For Love

Show Me Love
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Counterfeiters
All About My Mother, Bad Education, Talk to Her
or Volver

If he liked Amelie, and such, he would probably like one of my favorite foreign films. It is called Le dīner de cons. In english it is the Dinner Game. It is a funny French movie about a dinner with a contest involved for those who bring "Idiots" to the dinner. I think he would appreciate the movie seeing as how he is a guy, and I have gotten many positive responses from guys who have watched this movie. Enjoy!

-Cat
I love this film too! Did you see Le Placard where Daniel Auteuil plays Dominic Pignon again? same director too. Another enjoyable French farce.

Everyone above has made great recommendations, I'd go along with all of those.

Also Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, House of Flying Daggers, Very Long Engagement, Kikujiro, Das Experiment. From the director of The Host - Barking Dogs Never Bite and my favourite Korean film Memories of Murder.

gotta get back to work but will think of more later

One of the best films I have seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Beautiful

For laughs:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402294/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_gran...y_Filem%C3%B3n

James Bond style:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger:_Diabolik

Now that is a great movie! Hilarious ans scary at the same time. I went and read the Manga after watching this and I prefer the movie over it 100%.

I hear they have a sequel, but haven't able to find a copy.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Le Pacte Des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf)

It doesn't have the quirkiness of other French films like Delicatessen or Amelie, but it is my favorite foreign language film and one of my favorite films overall. It's visually stunning and has an interesting story and a wonderful mix of mystery, suspense and even a touch of romance (with some cool martial arts thrown in).
Really hated that flick.

The monster must have been inspired by The Killer Shrews.

Who says The French can't do shallow action pictures.

As you said he doesn't like 'old' films, I've tried to keep the to the last 20-25 years, with a few notable exceptions.

John Woo - The Killer, Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2, Red Cliffs (I've heard the 4 hour version is better. That's the one I've seen), Bullet In The Head.
Ang Lee - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Dario Argento - Suspiria, Tenebre, Deep Red
Paul Verhoeven - Soldier Of Orange, The Fourth Man, Black Book

Run, Lola, Run
Mesrine: Killer Instinct & Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1
Romanzo Criminale
La Reine Margot
Downfall
High Tension (Haute Tension)
The Horseman On The Roof
Taxi
The Girl On The Bridge
Les Visituers

Run, Lola, Run
Mesrine: Killer Instinct & Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1
Romanzo Criminale
La Reine Margot
Downfall
High Tension (Haute Tension)
The Horseman On The Roof
Taxi
The Girl On The Bridge
Les Visituers

How were you able to see Mesrine? Or do you live outside of the US?

La Haine's a good'un. Really funny at times and amazing acting.

I saw this one for the first time earlier this month, & I agree, its fantastic. The more I see of Vincent Cassel, the more I like him. He was very intense in La Haine, & just exudes a tremendous amount of energy. Almost an electric performance, I felt. I liked the film so much that Ive currently got a still of him doing his best Travis Bickle as the wallpaper on my iPhone. Not just anybody makes it as wallpaper.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
How were you able to see Mesrine? Or do you live outside of the US?
I'll take a guess that he saw it at the cinema last year or got the dvd when it came out the other day. Why, has it not been released in the US yet?

A couple more suggestions:

The Lives of Others
Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Ran
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Monsoon Wedding
The Wedding Banquet
- these last two are part English language, part subtitled.

I'd agree with The Lives Of Others, it's an excellent film and one of the best films I've seen in a long time. But I'm not sure that I'd put it up for a young man that's being coaxed into liking foreign films. If you can, Rice, then you certainly should, because it's one of the best films that's been mentioned on this thread, but I left it off because I was trying to stick to films that'd appeal instantly or could sound attractive in synopsis. It's why so many of my suggestions are crime and war films. Of course, her b/f might not like crime or war films, in which case, most of my picks will not go down well.

La Haine, on the other hand, is fantastic.

I'll take a guess that he saw it at the cinema last year or got the dvd when it came out the other day. Why, has it not been released in the US yet?
Nope. Netflix shows an "Unknown" availability, & theres nothing showing up on Amazon. Ive done a couple of Google searches, & I cant seem to find a US release date.

I also vote for The Lives of Others, an excellent movie, depicting the dark times of tough totalitarian regime in Europe.

Here are some more foreign films, I personally like:

Fatih Akin movies:
Gegen die Wand
Crossing the Bridge: The sound of Istanbul
Auf der anderen Seite

Dancer in the dark
Strangers by Guy Nattiv and Erez Tadmor
12 by Nikita Mikhalkov
Flammen & Citronen
Insomnia (the original Norwegian version of course)
Taste of cherry

I will take a look at my collection and I will share more titles, I believe are worth watching

Another that springs to mind is, Nikita (or La Femme Nikita in the States.) Then there's the Ring (Ringu) films, but he's probably aware of them already. You could take a look at the Asian horror films. I know a lot of people like Audition but I've never really cared for it. If you can get them, take a look at:

Junk
Bio Zombie
Versus
Wild Zero (weird but cool)

And, although I've not seen them, a lot of people have recommended these to me over the years:

Dumplings
Sisters
Shutter
Phobia
Black Night
Whispering Corridors
The Ju-On Series (I've only seen the first one, thus far, I thought it was ok but nothing more)
Suicide Club

Taste of cherry
Even though I like this movie it's hardly the kind of foreign film you'd recommend to someone as an introduction.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."