Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Very very young movie, but entertaining. Beanie Feldstein (Jonah Hill’s sister) & Kaitlyn Dever both excellent.

Very very young movie, but entertaining. Beanie Feldstein (Jonah Hill’s sister) & Kaitlyn Dever both excellent.
I was really pleasantly surprised by this one. Put it on one night knowing nothing about it and just laughed and laughed. It wasn't very deep, but it wasn't meant to be.

The scene where she confronts the "popular" kids in the bathroom and finds out that they're all going to great schools was such a refreshing reversal of that trope where the popular kids are always stupid. I liked the variety of characters it put on screen and that it stayed focused on the main characters and their struggles as opposed to creating some one-dimensional mean girl or mean jock as the villain.

Terrorizers (1986, Edward Yang)

Another great film from Yang. Aside from his trademark meditative, minimalistic approach, which I find endlessly fascinating, Terrorizers also features a rather clever, intricate plot. I like how the initially unrelated characters cross paths and intertwine as the film progresses. But above all, the more I watch his films, the more I am stunned by the quiet beauty of the cinematography and composition, the rhythm and structure of his storytelling - it talks to me in a language that is simple, and yet incredibly profound at the same time.

Fearless (1993)

I’ve been lucky these few days. This was pretty perfect. I haven’t exhausted my Peter Weir inventory yet, but I like this much more than ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock’ and ‘The Dead Poets Society’. I love its paradoxical nature that almost veers into the mystical. Something about the era it’s set in also makes it work better than the contemporary films with a similar sentiment, like ‘Take Shelter’. It does a brilliant job of capturing the feeling of post-NDE alienation and otherness that follows the protagonist. I loved the occasional too-bright colours that feed into that.*Very postmodern without trying to be. *Isabella Rossellini is incredible, and now I know Jeff Bridges can actually act outside his usual one-dimensional American guy-ness.
A phenomenal film. Definitely going on my list of favourites.

Magical Girl (2014, Carlos Vermut)

Such a craftily constructed Spanish gem of a thriller. Excellent plot that kept me gripped till the end, intriguingly interweaving characters each grappling with their own psychological issues, good ending - definitely worth a watch.

The Outpost (2020)

A mediocre war movie that can give you a lethal overdose of patriotism. I wonder who decided to put the outpost on that location in real life?

1st Re-watch...It was the biggest Oscar snub of 2019...how Adam Sandler was overlooked for a Best Actor nomination for this ticking time bomb of a performance is one of the Academy's greatest crimes.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Vittorio D - 10/10
I just saw a perfect example of how a documentary should be... And it's a documentary on my very favorite director - Vittorio De Sica. I was watching this with pride as if I were his son. I've searched for one in the past, but somehow I ran into this while browsing Amazon Prime, which I know many have, and should check out. I never heard De Sica speaking English, so there are limitations on knowing everything you can about the man, but his movies speak on his poetic yet realistic humanity.... I liked how it divided into segment... You had "The Director", "The Actor", "The Man", "The Gambler", "The Father", etc.

You don't see any young "flavor of the month" directors or actors, not because they don't know him, but because whoever produced it made sure he got the best of the best..

Featured in this documentary
-Clint Eastwood
-Woody Allen
-Sophia Loren
-Federic Fellini
-Ken Loach
-Mike Leigh
-Shirley MacLaine
-Ettore Scola (great Italian director)
-Mario Monicello
-Paul Mazursky (who told De Sica that he was stealing "Umberto D" to make (my favorite movie), "Harry and Tonto"
-Dino DeLaurentis (great producer)
and many others, including his friends.

Equinox (1970)

A B-horror that doesn't use its potential. It's quite silly actually, but with a better script, it could have good still. Now its Evil Dead connections are more interesting than the film itself. Sam Raimi must have loved this.

Yeah I really enjoyed this. The best teen movie of the past few years.

Natural born killers
4/5
A movie that divides. Many will hate it but I loved it.

I'm afraid I fall firmly in the 'hate it' category. One of the most unpleasant experiences of my film-viewing life. I've had hangovers that were more fun.

Battle of Britain (1969)

This is an epic war film starring Olivier, Plummer, Caine, Shaw, and more. I thought I was going to enjoy it much more during the first few minutes, but the battle scenes became monotonous and the rest was often dull. It's too bad.

Fearless (1993)

I’ve been lucky these few days. This was pretty perfect. I haven’t exhausted my Peter Weir inventory yet, but I like this much more than ‘Picnic at Hanging Rock’ and ‘The Dead Poets Society’. I love its paradoxical nature that almost veers into the mystical. Something about the era it’s set in also makes it work better than the contemporary films with a similar sentiment, like ‘Take Shelter’. It does a brilliant job of capturing the feeling of post-NDE alienation and otherness that follows the protagonist. I loved the occasional too-bright colours that feed into that.*Very postmodern without trying to be. *Isabella Rossellini is incredible, and now I know Jeff Bridges can actually act outside his usual one-dimensional American guy-ness.
A phenomenal film. Definitely going on my list of favourites.
I agree with your rating and everything you've said about this movie...when I did a list of my favorite Jeff Bridges performances, this one came in at #1. This movie is simply amazing.