Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Aside of the 90's redo, count me for refresh the Westerns too.

Yeah, why is Westerns even in the mix for some people? Let's redo the War Movies, too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I floated this before, but I see a couple ways to do actors/actresses.

You could do it straight forward, simply a list of one's Top 25 performers (splitting up male and female, if wanted), voting for their total body of work.

Or there is a way to reexamine the decade lists without simply redoing them: by voting for favorite performances, by decade. Single titles could pull more than one nominee of course, and those MoFos who think vocal performances for animation or motion capture works don't get their due could rectify that by elevating them on their ballots. It would also allow you to vote for strong/favorite performances in films that maybe don't work as well in total, or are the lighter fare or deep genre kind of movie that would have a difficult time making a straight decade list but could get a mention through a marvelous or iconic performance. People are always complaining about the Oscars snubbed this performance or that, well, now you can vote.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Underseen - sounds like a GREAT idea. It's no fun when a list contains movies you've already seen.

(does it have to be under a certain amount of IMDB votes?)

Underseen - sounds like a GREAT idea. It's no fun when a list contains movies you've already seen.

(does it have to be under a certain amount of IMDB votes?)
We were trying to determine how many IMDB votes would be used for underseen films aka Films not on previous lists? Maybe you could list a sample of some of your favorite underseen movies with the number of IMDB votes they have. So far:
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane 17k
Demons (Shura) 2.6k
In a Glass Cage 4.9k
Poison for the Fairies 2.3k
The Reflecting Skin 9.1k
The Winter War (Talvisota) 8.5k
J'accuse 2k
Sundays and Cybele 4.7k...
...Horror: The Void (2016) - 40K votes
Crime: 11:14 (2003) - 49K votes
Western: A Man for Hanging (1972) - 89 votes
Action: The Wave (2015) - 41K votes
Random: Conspiracy (2001) - 23K votes
Fantasy: Belladonna of Sadness (1973) - 7.3K votes
Documentary: Back to Bosnia (2005) - 86 votes
Crime: 10 Rillington Place (1971) - 9.4K votes
Musical: Cabin in the Sky (1943) - 3.2K votes
Random: Glass Chin (2014) - 890 votes
Some of my favourite underseen films:
One Foot in Heaven (1941) 1,441 votes
The Marrying Kind (1952) 1,597 votes
Les misérables (1934) 1,913 votes
The Wheel (1923) 2,456 votes
I Knew Her Well (1965) 3,018 votes
Medium Cool (1969) 4,601 votes
Sundays and Cybèle (1962) 4,674 votes
The Merchant of Four Seasons (1972) 5,122 votes
Le silence de la mer (1949) 5,494 votes

There's no answer to the question of how each thing would work because we don't know who's hosting.

Similarly, the results of the poll only matter if someone will host that list. If we have a volunteer but they, say, are only interested in hosting the runner up or what have you, then that'll have to be what we do.

The next list is the nexus of what the voters want and what someone will commit to running.

Just to keep everyone happy, the top 100 underseen musical noirs that haven't appeared on a previous list. 6 month prep, 5 months to find them and 1 month to watch them.

A few moies that might qualify
Permanent Vacation Jarmusch 10k
Buffet Froid Bleir 6.3k
Choice of Arms 2k
Five Corners John patrick Shanley 3.8k
Still Crazy 8.5k
Mindwalk 3.2k
City of Hope Sayles 2.7k
Passion Fish 6k

It could be a great way to build your to watch list. If you accepted that as the list purpose it could be successful without building consensus.

Would that be a bad thing? Seems like it would be a fun countdown as there would be lots of surprises and not the same predictable movies.

*BTW, I'm not pro Underseen countdowns, just trying to keep the convo going

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not so sure about the IMDb underseen as I think it would be difficult to find the films compared to a more defined genre. Unless you're one of those people who keeps a list of every film they've ever seen in order of rating and you just type it into IMDb to see how many other people have watched it. I think IMDb is understandably very skewed towards more recent movies (since it is itself recent) so is maybe not an accurate reflection of whether a film is really underseen.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Redoing a ten-year-old decade Countdown or CR's two-fold Noir/Neo-Noir Countdowns sounds great. And add me to the Musicals fan. Also, I support a renewed Animation list too.

I was just looking at what movies qualify for Neo Noir because some people are saying they don't watch them... Well good grief!...Some of the biggest films and best loved films are tagged neo noir. Anyone ever hear of a little movie called Taxi Driver? or Chinatown ? or Dark City? or Reservoir Dogs? Oldboy? Memento? Mulholland Drive?. Literally the most popular films are Neo Noirs. A few more:

Nightcrawler, No Country for Old Men, Shutter Island, The Long Goodbye, The Man from Nowhere, The Man Who Wasn't There,
The Usual Suspects, To Live and Die in L.A., True Confessions,
Zodiac. That list could go on and one and on. I bet more MoFos have seen Neo Noir movies than they've seen of war movies and the war countdown kicked ass! So yeah a noir countdown will be fun