Careers Killed By One Movie

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
LOL @ "Showgirls" -- everyone saw that movie to see Jesse Spano (her name in Saved By The Bell) in something rauncy, but even as a kid I knew that was junk, when 90% of what I watched seemed alright.

I'll attribute a tiny bit of this due to age. Sometimes people get sick of certain faces, maybe some are hard to work for?

I really wish some of the actors who made trillions of dollars years ago don't take a small paycut and make a GREAT movie that might have a low-budget, but that's great. Everyone knows that one name like "Pacino" or "De Niro" could turn a movie destined to make $5 that could be a big hit, and actually great at the same time!

And to an earlier reply - I love the "satire" excuse... The problem is, it's never satire. It might be mockery or parody, if that...

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Brandon Lee after The Crow.

.... and the man with the poorest taste award goes to ...

This is quite a narrow category - it's not one-hit-wonders (people who didn't have much of a career, then hit big with one film, but then were almost never heard from again) and it's not never-made-its (people who didn't have much of a career, then starred in a total flop and were never heard from again). And it's not people who just plod along with one mediocre movie after another - never rising to the heights of absolute stardom or sinking below the depths of has-beenism.
And the OP probably didn't mean people who were literally killed while making their last movie. (Shout out also to Vic Morrow.)

Yeah he went away too. Add Hollywood Homicide to the Josh Hartnett stinkers too.
I'll second Josh Hartnett and Hollywood Homicide...though Hartnett was lucky to have a career at all.

Williams was a great actor.
Bicentennial Man and One Hour Photo, he's genius to watch.

Absolute genius.

Sad what happened.
I'll miss him tbh. Over the years to come, I'll undoubtedly miss his presence.
He was a wonderful actor, but I'm not surprised that he was not happy with where he was career wise when he died.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Gigli completely obliterated Martin Brest's career. You don't hear from him, you don't see him... Hell, he probably has his own zip code so you can't find him. It's like he fell off the face of the earth. Don't even know if he's alive or not anymore.

ben affleck took a hit from that aswell,as he should-he was the bad thing about it.
the movie itself wasnt as bad as people make it out to be there was just alot of bennifer hate at the time

I have to return some videotapes...
Spider-man 3 really crushed Tobey's chances of ever leading a budget picture and he's kind of dimmed out of Hollywood since. I still think in the right role he's brilliant.

Welcome to the human race...
Showgirls is the one and only weak spot in Verhoeven's filmography.
I'd still take it over Starship Troopers.

I know respect for the dead is big on MoFo... but, Robin Williams.

Great actor, great comedian... and, again, great actor, especially when he wanted to be.

Ruined it all with RV: Runaway Vacation.
Then kinda brought it back with Night At The Museum franchise... then, cocked it all up again with Absolutely Anything.

Absolutely Anything may well also be a killer for Simon Pegg. His fan base has dropped massively since that pile of bilge.
Look how Trek Beyond was received. He did write it after all too.
Kind of stretching the definition of career-killing here - this is more like career life-support where they're still working in films but not at their peak. I barely even registered Absolutely Anything, though - it seems like unless there's Edgar Wright/Nick Frost/a franchise involved, I've almost never seen anything that Pegg's starred in (except for Man Up, which I thought it was average).

Television doesn't count.
The low production value of everything television means a movie actor is now prostituting themselves for a paycheque.

I'm hoping those sh*t-eating grins at the end of your post mean that you're joking.

LOL @ "Showgirls" -- everyone saw that movie to see Jesse Spano (her name in Saved By The Bell) in something rauncy, but even as a kid I knew that was junk, when 90% of what I watched seemed alright.

I'll attribute a tiny bit of this due to age. Sometimes people get sick of certain faces, maybe some are hard to work for?

And to an earlier reply - I love the "satire" excuse... The problem is, it's never satire. It might be mockery or parody, if that...
I'd never seen (and possibly never heard of) Saved by the Bell before watching Showgirls. Much of my own decision to watchShowgirls was doing to its cult reputation, though it was a toss-up as to whether or not it was because of the campy side or the satirical side. I'll defend Showgirls as satire, though - much like Starship Troopers, it seem like Verhoeven saw an absurdity in the source material that others did not and made a film that reflected said absurdity. The pool scene alone should be enough of an indicator that he was thumbing his nose at anyone expecting empty titillation.

I think I'll throw out Emilio Estevez for this thread...

Mighty Ducks trilogy.

Estevez was an original Brat Pack member... toast of Hollywood for a bit...

Then, he made The Mighty Ducks, which was panned. Following that, he made Loaded Weapon 1, Another Stakeout and Judgment Night. Loaded and Judgment are pretty good, but Another Stakeout isn't great.

Then immediately he thought a sequel to the panned Mighty Ducks was a good idea.
Which was the second and final nail in the coffin. He was then lumbered with bit parts, and an uncredited role in Mission: Impossible... then a 3rd Mighty Ducks movie came along.
Since then, I would bet my last £10 that you can't name anything he's been in without checking his filmography first.

Disney's The Mighty Ducks... 1990s Disney, killing actors since, erm, the 1990s.

Welcome to the human race...
I did think of one movie (The Way, which he also directed) but I'd rather not take you up on the bet because the pound is low enough that I'd end up paying you.

I just thought about this thread again because I've just seen the telly playing a Bridget Fonda movie.

What happened to her?
Her last movies were in 2001.
Monkeybone, Kiss Of The Dragon and The Whole Shebang which were filmed at the same time, and none of them were well received... and Monkeybone in particular was panned.
Then in 2002 she did TV movie Snow Queen which got mixed reviews...

Then nothing.

In the 90s she was making 3 or 4 movies per year, every year.
I reckon it was Monkeybone tbh.

lol your avatar

Sean Connery...

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did poor both box-office and reception-wise, but despite that may have killed his career too, it was Connery who pretty much chose to do a career suicide after working on the movie, because it was such an awfully terrible experience for him. A shame.

Poor Kurt Russells career was never the same after Soldier came out. Its a shame too cause I thought him a steady-teddy type actor, always pulled off his roles with a degree of competence.

Yeah Soldier was a bit chalk and cheese.

I think Russell is making a bit of a comeback though, especially with Hateful Eight being received so well.