Sequels that never happened and Sequels that did happen but shouldn't.

Tools    

Wanted to start a discussion about films that you thought should have had a sequel but the sequel never came and sequels that did come to fruition but were a HUGE disappointment. I'll start:

MOVIES I HOPED WOULD HAVE SEQUELS NEVER DID

HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART I - Mel Brooks even gave us a trailer at the end of the first film previewing the sequel...remember "Jews on Ice"? The first film ended during the French Revolution so it's not like there wasn't endless material for Brooks to mine.

THE BIG CHILL - Several stories really felt left up in the air at the end of this movie and I would have loved to have seen them addressed. I would love to have known if Harold actually got Meg pregnant. I also wanted to know if Karen would eventually leave her husband for Sam, despite the distance between them at the end of the movie. I also would have liked to have seen what developed between Chloe and Nick.

THE BREAKFAST CLUB - Always thought an interesting sequel could have been created here where we get to see Claire, John, Andy, Brian, and Allison interacting with each other outside of detention as part of the normal high school landscape. Would the bond that was created between them in detention continue as they pass each other in the hall?

MOVIES THAT HAD SEQUELS BUT THE SEQUELS WERE BIG DUDS

ARTHUR - The funniest movie of 1981 produced one of the worst sequels ever...ARTHUR 2: ON THE ROCKS. Everyone involved just looked embarrassed.

FUNNY GIRL - Barbra Streisand commanded the screen admirably in FUNNY LADY, but the movie just felt like a retread of the original, especially where the musical numbers were concerned. "How Lucky Can you Get" seemed like a reboot of "I'm the Greatest Star" and "Let's Hear it for Me" felt like a retread of "Don't Rain on my Parade." Not to mention the fact that Streisand didn't have anywhere near the chemistry with James Caan that she did with Omar Sharif.

AIRPORT - AIRPORT '75 is one of the most laughably bad movies ever made, filled with bad acting and even worse dialogue.

GREASE- Despite the presence of Michelle Pfeiffer and a decent opening number, GREASE 2 was a crashing bore.

I heard talks that were was supposed to be Eastern Promises sequel.Would like to see it.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Should have happened:
Hellboy 3
Gladiator 2

Shouldn't have happened:
Indy 4
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
Terminator 3 (and probably T4 which I haven't seen)
The Neverending Story 2&3

Should have happened:
Gladiator 2

Should have happened:
The Fast and the Furious 34
Lethal Weapon 5
E.T. 2

Shouldn't have happened:
Blade Runner 2 (In production)
Iron Man 2
All Final Destination sequels
Blue Brothers 2000
Basic Instinct 2
S. Darko
Blair Witch 2
Speed 2
American Psycho II: All American Girl

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Should:
Monsters 2 (And let's make it not directed by Tom Green, because that rumor terrifies me)
Dredd 2
A Good Follow-Up to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Shouldn't, But I Want:
Ocean's Fourteen
Road to Perdition 2 (Granted, it won't be starring Tom Hanks, but I kind-of want it.)

Shouldn't:
S. Darko
The Crow: Wicked Prayer, City of Angels, and Salvation (I am not against a GOOD sequel down the line, because I think that there was more stories to tell with the character, but so far, all but the first have been decent, or simply terrible.)
The Butterfly Effect 2 & 3

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Should have happened:
Hellboy 3
Gladiator 2

Shouldn't have happened:
Indy 4
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
Terminator 3 (and probably T4 which I haven't seen)
The Neverending Story 2&3
Interesting that you put Gladiator 2. When I watch Gladiator I always think how epic it would have been if Maximus escaped from Rome and made it back to his army setting up an epic sequel Maximus and his army vs Commodus and his army.

Should have:

Hellboy 3
Gladiator 2
The Incredibles 2

Shouldn't have:

Cars 2
Terminator 4

i think that most of the sequels these days will make the franchise worse.

as for the "shouldn't have", terminator 3.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Interesting that you put Gladiator 2. When I watch Gladiator I always think how epic it would have been if Maximus escaped from Rome and made it back to his army setting up an epic sequel Maximus and his army vs Commodus and his army.
Er, you know Commodus dies at the end of the movie right? Anyway, Gladiator 2 was going to be less serious historical epic and more "Maximus battles the Roman gods in the afterlife, becomes immortal, battles his way through history and eventually ends up working at the Pentagon. Ridiculous but who wouldn't want to see it at least once?

Titanic 2!!

Which category would this fall into? Shouldn't be made or shouldn't have been made?

If the last one check this out:

The greatest thing about this is this film poster:

Apparently lighting strikes twice... except it had nothing to do with lightning to begin with...

Both