Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A Place In The Sun (1951) -
+

Thought this was excellent. Montgomery Clift is growing on me after a shaky start with Red River, he was amazing here. Everyone else was excellent too and i thought it had a great plot. I thought this was a straight forward love story for some reason, so anyone who has seen it can imagine my surprise at what it turned out to be. I hope who ever hasn't seen this yet will check it out, as i rarely hear it mentioned and it is a strong contender for my 50's list.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Batman Returns - 8/10 - Not as good as the '89 movie that it is a sequel to, but still really good, with great acting, dialogue, story, VFX, etc. Also, Penguin is super pervy (spoilers?)!

Batman Forever - 5/10 - You can tell by now that the series was on a downward spiral, but this movie had some good to it: decent parts to the story, some humorous and moving dialogue, and a fantastic performance by Jim Carrey as the Riddler!

The Other Side Of The Door

Very standard ghost movie, nothing special here at all. May make you jump a few times but is super cliche for the most part. Posted a full review in my horror movie review thread.

I have to return some videotapes...
The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) -

Really enjoyed the film, but I just thought the first half was so much better. Cianfrance is a really talented director though, loved Blue Valentine.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Conformist*

A near-flawless film. So glad that I decided to give this a second viewing. One of the most competently photographed films ever.

The Searchers*

Second viewing this year. It's not a perfect film, nor is it Ford's greatest, but The Searchers is an essential part of classic American cinema.

The Yards
+

Raw. Tragic. Moving.

Might be my favorite "first-time watch" of the year. One of the few truly great films of the new millennium.

The Thing From Another World (1951) -

Another enjoyable 50's Sci-Fi. I've liked every Sci-Fi from the decade i've tried. think it was a good era for it. I liked how different it was from the remake it really helped me think of this as its own film, it dragged a little for me what isn't great for a film so short though. I found it pretty tense at times and i liked some of the characters and their interactions. Personally i don't think it is anything amazing, and i prefer Carpenter's The Thing by a huge margin, definitely worth watching though.

Creepshow (1982) -
+

Man, this was so ridiculous but still managed to be a lot of fun. One of the few instances that i've liked a movie with acting and dialogue as bad as this, it may have actually made it better.

Father's Day was by far the worst for me. I found it dull and just a bit run of the mill, the ending was really obvious as well as soon as you heard dad-zombie ranting on about a cake. The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill was my second favourite. I don't know if Stephen King was told to be this horrendous or if he was just naturally this bad, either way it was a stroke of genius as i laughed quite a bit. The ending was genuinely disturbing as well. Something To Tide You Over was the best for me. While absurd and cheesy like the rest of them it gave off enough of a serious vibe for it to work most. I though Leslie Nielsen was excellent, not sure if this was because virtually everyone else in the film was so bad but he really did come across sinister and unhinged. Pretty nuts that was probably the most serious i've ever seen him. The Crate was the second weakest. The monster looked ridiculous, most of all i just found the wife too annoying obviously that was the intention but it made it hard to enjoy this one much. Liked the ending though. They're Creeping Up On You would be the middle one for me, no strong feeling either way. Liked the ending again.

Had a good time with this and completely understand why it is a cult film. Think if i watched it again it would become annoying but i'm happy i watched it.

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - Dan Trachtenberg

- I really like this one. Actors are so good especially Goodman who's totally amazing in that flick and the direction is special. Atmosphere is cool, I like the vibe and the movie is stressful which is a good thing. The last 30 min are easily my favorites but I enjoy it all way through. It's definitely not a sequel of Cloverfield (2008) by the way and this movie is definitely better.
-

I have to return some videotapes...
X:Men First Class (2011) -

Not as good as I remember, none of these comic book movies are. Very bland script and the direction lacks the finesse that Singer brings to his action scenes. Vaughn works better when he has a smaller budget, at least in my opinion. Fassbender gives a solid performance and their are some touching moments.

The Yards
+

Raw. Tragic. Moving.

Might be my favorite "first-time watch" of the year. One of the few truly great films of the new millennium.
Have you seen any of James Gray's other films? What did you think of them?

Welcome to the human race...
Theatre of Blood -

Okay-ish piece of semi-sophisticated schlock, but I feel like it could use a remake starring Patrick Stewart.

The Great Gatsby.

This movie is such a mess and such a wasted opportunity. this had the material and the cast to make an amazing romantic drama,i have no idea what they were trying to do but all they did with the flashy over the top fast moving picture was to distance the viewer and take away from the storyline.
apart from the messy look of the entire thing,carey mullingan and Leonardo Dicaprio had no chemistry whatsoever,and she is WAY young looking for him.for them to have had a love affair years prior didnt seem believable as carey,as talented as she is,looked about 15 next to leo.

Had this been done properly,with a different lead actress,as a "normal" movie,i probably would have loved it.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift -

Arguably the best entry of the F&F out of the first three (and potentially the entire series, given what I've heard about the later entries). Justin Lin brings a fresh perspective to the formula that was too fast becoming stale with 2 Fast 2 Furious by introducing us to the world of drift-racing. Best of all, we have an actually decent character arc this time, not the goofy Paul Walker bromance from before.

A major theme this movie had explored that everyone obviously missed was the classic topic of Japanese collectivism that denies individualism in society. It's an interesting theme that parallels with Sean's rebellious nature. By the end of the movie, Sean comes to a proper compromise between pursuing his own individual desires and not causing too much trouble in the process, a resolution symbolized by the spare parts of his father's broken down car and Han's Nissan Silvia coming together to build Sean's new car. The metaphor goes even further when you consider that the Nissan Silvia was turned into a total wreckage by Sean at the beginning, when his character hasn't grown yet.

This isn't even taking into account the awesome drifting scenes in this movie that kept the movie thrilling. Racing in the colorful world of Tokyo bears reminiscence to my favorite racing movie of all time, Speed Racer, especially with all the crazy twists and turns throughout the car stunts. I wish they made the drifting even crazier and driftier to an over-the-top level, but as it is, it was still a lot of fun.

Had this been done properly,with a different lead actress,as a "normal" movie,i probably would have loved it.

I know this film isn't very well regarded, but I actually quite liked it and was glad it wasn't a "normal" movie. I'm not exactly a fan of Luhrmann - I hated Romeo + Juliet and the parts of Moulin Rouge that I've seen - but I liked what he did with it. The colors really popped and the soundtrack - while obviously not period appropriate - really set the mood for a party atmosphere. Sure beats the old version with all the bright whites and pastels looking like a damn toothpaste commercial.

As for Mulligan, eh, her youth doesn't bother me. I think the character in general just sucks and no actress is really going to change that.