Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info

Tools    

Thanks, sounds like a lot of fun. Seems like you need someone in there to nominate some films that have actually been seen by more than twenty people. Count me in!
I prefer nominating films less than 20 people have seen. So many hidden gems out there and someone needs to drag them into daylight.

I’m seriously considering a Scorsese film for the 23rd HOF.
I know one you absolutely love, I haven't seen it but hope you nominate since it looks really good.

*looks over list of general HOF winners*

Sees Psycho, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Shawshank Redemption, The Empire Strikes Back, Her, Dances With Wolves, Casablanca, Pulp Fiction...

Looks back at HollowMan's post:

LOL, Wut?

Yeah there's a few worthy classics in there. There's also: 400 Blows, Sansho the Bailiff, Autumn Sonata, a separation, Contratiempo, the Station Agent, Frances Ha, Wait until Dark.

Don't blame me for pointing out the fact that you guys have a Hall of Fame with 24 films that has room for all the above randomness that barely anybody's seen, but not for any of the works of three of the acknowledged masters of the craft. It's like having a tennis hall of fame that doesn't include Borg, Sampras or Federer.

Yeah there's a few worthy classics in there. There's also: 400 Blows, Sansho the Bailiff, Autumn Sonata, a separation, Contratiempo, the Station Agent, Frances Ha, Wait until Dark.

Don't blame me for pointing out the fact that you guys have a Hall of Fame with 24 films that has room for all the above randomness that barely anybody's seen, but not for any of the works of three of the acknowledged masters of the craft. It's like having a tennis hall of fame that doesn't include Borg, Sampras or Federer.
I'm glad you're interested in the Hall of Fames and I hope you join one in the near future

But you might have the wrong idea about how they work. People join and nominate a movie that they believe in. As each HoF only has a small number of people, there's also a small number of films nominated, and only one of those movies gets inducted into the MoFo Hall of Fame. The more Hall of Fame threads we have, the more chances for the greats to be inducted...but it takes time! So not all well respected movies are going to be in the HoF archives.

If you look at the second and third post in this thread you can see all the films that were nominated. We've had some great films, but like I said only 1 per HoF can actually 'win'.

You should join!...We'll be doing another specialty/genre HoF real soon. We just got to figure out what the subject will be. In the running is: Fantasy films, Documentaries, and Comedy (continuation of the Comedy Hofs)...You'd be welcomed to join

The trick is not minding

It isn’t due to any perceived slight towards them. It’s just that their films have fallen short in the voting process, due to another gathering more votes in said HOF.

The trick is not minding
Also....films barely anyone has seen? Only if that person isn’t a serious cinephile. There’s far more great films outside of Spielberg, Coppola and Scorsese after all.

I think that it's great that you are here and I hope you feel free to do your own Hall of Fame. I will sign up for it, I think a directors series would do very well. I think the general halls are very stifled and genre limited so to speak part of why I pushed so hard for comedy halls. The noir hall was really good, and the 2nd chance one was very good. Ahwell did a Pixar hall that was awesome and I had to nominate a film that I really didn't care about just to participate.

And also y'know it's also about competition...

Winner: Contratiempo (2016, Paulo)

Nominations: Passengers (2016), The Hurricane (1999), M (1931), Mommy (2014), Black Snake Moan (2006), Barton Fink (1991), Empire of Passion (1978), La Grand Illusion (1937), Lone Star (1996), Dom Za Vesanje (1988), Contratiempo (2016)

Winner: Frances Ha(Noah Baumbach, 2012) Tie
Winner: Wait Until Dark (Terence Young, 1967) Tie

Nominations: 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Waterloo Bridge (1931), Three Monkeys (2008), Poison for the Fairies (1984), Naked (1993), Mr. Freedom (1969), They Shoot Horses Don't They? (1969), Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

It's like having a tennis hall of fame that doesn't include Borg, Sampras or Federer.
Not really. Like stated earlier, it's a Movie Hall of Fame not a Director Hall of Fame. Borg, Sampras and Federer didn't win tourneys by just showing up. They had to beat the competition and sometimes (not often) the competition was better. Doesn't take away from their greatness.

I wouldn't put Raging Bull number one on any ballot just because Scorsese directed it. Same with Close Encounters for Spielberg or Apocalypse Now for Coppola. I can think of a lot of movies I'd rank higher than them three. Also, and this is pretty important, someone has to actually nominate their movies.

I like when someone nominates something I've never heard of and end up really liking it. Elmer Gantry and Ox Bow Incident are the two that spring to mind. I actually didn't even mind watching The Music Man. Very good movies that I never would have seen without joining one of these things. One of the things that turns me off is having a HoF with a bunch of movies I've already seen which is why the Personal Rec HoF is so *bleeping* outstanding.

While some people do like to nominate the crème de la crème, others prefer to go with personal favourites or underseen films that they really enjoy. There's often a nice mix of those different approaches, which I personally think keeps things interesting.
Gave you rep for using the phrase 'crème de la crème'

OK sounds good. I might have to get involved next time. There's a criminal lack of Scorsese, Spielberg and Coppola in there.
A few factors; bad luck, timing, competition, i'm sure either Apoc or GF will enter the movie hof eventually.

Not really. Like stated earlier, it's a Movie Hall of Fame not a Director Hall of Fame. Borg, Sampras and Federer didn't win tourneys by just showing up. They had to beat the competition and sometimes (not often) the competition was better. Doesn't take away from their greatness.

I wouldn't put Raging Bull number one on any ballot just because Scorsese directed it. Same with Close Encounters for Spielberg or Apocalypse Now for Coppola. I can think of a lot of movies I'd rank higher than them three. Also, and this is pretty important, someone has to actually nominate their movies.

I like when someone nominates something I've never heard of and end up really liking it. Elmer Gantry and Ox Bow Incident are the two that spring to mind. I actually didn't even mind watching The Music Man. Very good movies that I never would have seen without joining one of these things. One of the things that turns me off is having a HoF with a bunch of movies I've already seen which is why the Personal Rec HoF is so *bleeping* outstanding.

I'm not saying you should vote for a film just because of the director. I was merely surprised that in a HoF with over twenty films, there wasn't even one by any of those great filmmakers. If you want to have a hall of personal favourites or overlooked gems then fine, but when you call something a Hall of Fame it implies greatness; a collection of the best, the legends, the pinnacle of a particular field. I understand that it's a catchy title designed to stand out and provoke discussion and debate, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

I'm not saying you should vote for a film just because of the director. I was merely surprised that in a HoF with over twenty films, there wasn't even one by any of those great filmmakers. If you want to have a hall of personal favourites or overlooked gems then fine, but when you call something a Hall of Fame it implies greatness; a collection of the best, the legends, the pinnacle of a particular field. I understand that it's a catchy title designed to stand out and provoke discussion and debate, and that's exactly what I'm doing.
Hmm is Spielberg and Coppola really the best of the best? I think it’s mostly subjective, some people can’t stand Coppola and Spielberg (I like both of them but they’re far from my favorite directors). There are many many many great filmmakers, it will take a while before ALL of them are represented, but looking over the long list of winners there are a ton of classics in there, as well as newer gems. Personally I’m happier to see a lesser known/newer movie win... we don’t need to always vote for the “classic” vote even if it’s considered better.

Join one and nominate what you think is a truly great movie that deserves to be inducted into the MoFo Hall of Fame. Maybe your nom while make it, maybe it won't. You won't know until you try.

Join one and nominate what you think is a truly great movie that deserves to be inducted into the MoFo Hall of Fame. Maybe your nom while make it, maybe it won't. You won't know until you try.

I will join the next one. Somebody's got to stand up for the little guys. Poor old Marty, Steven and Francis...

...when you call something a Hall of Fame it implies greatness; a collection of the best, the legends, the pinnacle of a particular field.
It sounds like you're working with a different definition of "greatness" than those of us who've been participating. Which is fine, but that doesn't make everyone else wrong.

It sounds like you're working with a different definition of "greatness" than those of us who've been participating. Which is fine, but that doesn't make everyone else wrong.

Yeah I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the favourite Vs greatest distinction.