Barbie (2023)

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wait, this isn't a film on Klaus Barbie?

For what it's worth, this is much better than Lady Bird and Little Women.

But it's a product more than a film.

WARNING: "Barbie" spoilers below

An ingenious marketing campaign that earns money from people hating the company while watching a film made by that company. Also, the company itself is portrayed as a bunch of silly, quirky geese, not an evil corporation. They do spew some nonsense but they have to because otherwise their image would be too good! Also, the sales of Barbie toys, also those specifically inspired by the movie, skyrocketed. And those toys were already there to buy when the movie premiered, so it was a deliberate corporate decision to use the movie (that grossed more than a billion) to bring even more money. Even showing Mattel's heads as just men is PR genius. Because in reality, it isn't so. So somebody watches the film, Googles it, and leaves with the thought that Mattel isn't that bad!

I think this film definitely has a progressive/feminist agenda but it swerves to neither side so that everybody can have their own thoughts after seeing it. A more conservative person would be shocked by how little girls destroy the dolls, apparently spiting the traditional role of a mother. However, they'd be surprised by how the movie also says that it's OK if a woman wants to be a mother and how one of the (very remote and unaffecting, by the way) side stories here is a relationship between a mother and her daughter. A progressive person would cheer at how Barbies regained power but jeer at how there's no equality because Kens are refused even one seat in Congress, allegedly just like women are denied that in the real world. A conservative would use that as an argument that this film is woke and whatnot. And then the makers can defend themselves by saying that the movie merely suggests that there's no easy solution to the matriarchy just like there's no easy solution to patriarchy. This is genius marketing-wise. It's just like companies who change their logos to rainbow on social media for Pride Month but NOT in Arab countries.

And now we get to the main idea of Barbie. That Barbieland is somehow the opposite of the real world. A thought experiment is to replace women and men and see how it sticks. And... it doesn't, not really. It makes no sense on several points. So maybe we aren't supposed to do that, and therefore Barbieland is not really the opposite of the real world. So what is it? Like, Kens playing to Barbies. Women don't do that for men. A woman giving a feminist tirade about how hard women have it? Imagine a man saying something like this - OK, it's possible. But before that her daughter gave a similar tirade and it was supposed to be satire? And now it's sincere and genuine. (I guess?!) How do we tell the difference?

My final question is: Why did Barbie choose to be human after all? And the worst thing is I don't give a damn about this faux existentialism! This is no THE WHISPERING STAR where the character truly discovers what it is to be human. This isn't moving. This isn't even fun. I watched this film one hour ago and I can hardly remember its ending. I CAN'T remember its opening scene! Oh, I remembered, the 2001 rip-off I actually mentioned before. LOL.

Also, many people on the internet said they relate to Barbie or to Ken, or their struggles, or something. But I don't. I don't see myself in there, at all.

As for the more formal side, the film looks quite good, but I didn't like the music. Gosling was good and overshadowed Robbie.

But the real reason this film is crass is that there's no T-Rex Barbie. Even the middling Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse had a Spider T-Rex!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Wait, this isn't a film on Klaus Barbie?

For what it's worth, this is much better than Lady Bird and Little Women.

But it's a product more than a film.

WARNING: "Barbie" spoilers below

An ingenious marketing campaign that earns money from people hating the company while watching a film made by that company. Also, the company itself is portrayed as a bunch of silly, quirky geese, not an evil corporation. They do spew some nonsense but they have to because otherwise their image would be too good! Also, the sales of Barbie toys, also those specifically inspired by the movie, skyrocketed. And those toys were already there to buy when the movie premiered, so it was a deliberate corporate decision to use the movie (that grossed more than a billion) to bring even more money. Even showing Mattel's heads as just men is PR genius. Because in reality, it isn't so. So somebody watches the film, Googles it, and leaves with the thought that Mattel isn't that bad!

I think this film definitely has a progressive/feminist agenda but it swerves to neither side so that everybody can have their own thoughts after seeing it. A more conservative person would be shocked by how little girls destroy the dolls, apparently spiting the traditional role of a mother. However, they'd be surprised by how the movie also says that it's OK if a woman wants to be a mother and how one of the (very remote and unaffecting, by the way) side stories here is a relationship between a mother and her daughter. A progressive person would cheer at how Barbies regained power but jeer at how there's no equality because Kens are refused even one seat in Congress, allegedly just like women are denied that in the real world. A conservative would use that as an argument that this film is woke and whatnot. And then the makers can defend themselves by saying that the movie merely suggests that there's no easy solution to the matriarchy just like there's no easy solution to patriarchy. This is genius marketing-wise. It's just like companies who change their logos to rainbow on social media for Pride Month but NOT in Arab countries.

And now we get to the main idea of Barbie. That Barbieland is somehow the opposite of the real world. A thought experiment is to replace women and men and see how it sticks. And... it doesn't, not really. It makes no sense on several points. So maybe we aren't supposed to do that, and therefore Barbieland is not really the opposite of the real world. So what is it? Like, Kens playing to Barbies. Women don't do that for men. A woman giving a feminist tirade about how hard women have it? Imagine a man saying something like this - OK, it's possible. But before that her daughter gave a similar tirade and it was supposed to be satire? And now it's sincere and genuine. (I guess?!) How do we tell the difference?

My final question is: Why did Barbie choose to be human after all? And the worst thing is I don't give a damn about this faux existentialism! This is no THE WHISPERING STAR where the character truly discovers what it is to be human. This isn't moving. This isn't even fun. I watched this film one hour ago and I can hardly remember its ending. I CAN'T remember its opening scene! Oh, I remembered, the 2001 rip-off I actually mentioned before. LOL.

Also, many people on the internet said they relate to Barbie or to Ken, or their struggles, or something. But I don't. I don't see myself in there, at all.

As for the more formal side, the film looks quite good, but I didn't like the music. Gosling was good and overshadowed Robbie.

But the real reason this film is crass is that there's no T-Rex Barbie. Even the middling Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse had a Spider T-Rex!
Of course, it's a movie and an attempt at reviving a genre of toys that have declined in popularity, cashing in on nostalgia for when Barbie WAS a big thing. Telling girls to play with dolls isn't what it once was and boys have never been there, Ken or not. My guess is that A - They make lots of money on the movie and, B - At least some moms will buy a Barbie for a daughter, mainly because Mom had one. That adds up.

It has nothing to do with existentialism, which has never sold very well, except to angsty college students who like to look cool by carrying around a well worn copy of Being and Nothingness (nobody reads Sartre on their phone). It has to do with selling toys to 9 year olds, spurred on by mom or grandma and her nostalgia. It seems to be doing quite well at that.

Given that, in the current financials, the coupling of Barbie and Oppenheimer into the Barbieheimer universe, Barbie seems to pull in more money, perhaps indicating that we would rather be submerged in pink than blasted into atoms.

cant believe that they stilll showing barbie at the cinemas
Theater operators will keep showing what's there until there's a replacement. Aside from that, Barbie seems to be the hit of the moment. At this point, it has twice the gross that Oppenheimer has. That must mean something, although I don't know exactly what. I guess means that "we" like dolls more than we like A-Bombs.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It has nothing to do with existentialism, which has never sold very well, except to angsty college students who like to look cool by carrying around a well worn copy of Being and Nothingness (nobody reads Sartre on their phone). It has to do with selling toys to 9 year olds, spurred on by mom or grandma and her nostalgia. It seems to be doing quite well at that.
Sure, but there's a whole plotline about Barbie thinking about death and then changing from that "perfect" entity into a mere human being. Twice.

I didn't watch Barbie at the cinema.

I guess means that "we" like dolls more than we like A-Bombs.
I think we like F-bombs even more.

Apart from it setting box office records, with the actor and writer's strike still going on, a lot of movies are being pushed back, so there are a lot fewer new releases from the major studios right now. Dune Part 2's release date was pushed back to next year because of the strikes.

A system of cells interlinked
Of course, it's a movie and an attempt at reviving a genre of toys that have declined in popularity, cashing in on nostalgia for when Barbie WAS a big thing. Telling girls to play with dolls isn't what it once was and boys have never been there, Ken or not. My guess is that A - They make lots of money on the movie and, B - At least some moms will buy a Barbie for a daughter, mainly because Mom had one. That adds up.
I've posted this once already in the thread, which is admittedly a tough thread to get through with all the trolling earlier on, but I will post it again here.

Barbie Sales since 2012

As you can see, since 2015, which is well before this Barbie film came out, Barbie has only gained in popularity and sales, with another slight dip in 2022. I am sure it will pop back for the reasons you listed, but it was clearly not in decline.

As I also mentioned before, my daughter (4 years old) adores Barbie, and she doesn't know the film exists, and my wife and I haven't seen it. I forget exactly who got her the first doll, but it was a gift from some family member, and perhaps that person was operating on some sort of nostalgia, so perhaps that is a fair point. That was years before the film came out, though.

With the strikes and the sea of garbage content out there, a question emerges as to whether Barbie slays or whether she is just queen of an island of misfit toys.

I saw it for the second time in the theater on Monday and it was 4/5 full. And that included everyone from an adorable elderly lesbian couple to dressed-up tweens with their moms.

It's a pretty great big-screen movie, and it rewards any attention you give to a background detail. I was expecting a slight dip in my regard for it (as often happens with me when I rewatch longer, blockbuster films), but I was surprised to find that I liked it just as much if not more the second time around.

I saw it for the second time in the theater on Monday and it was 4/5 full. And that included everyone from an adorable elderly lesbian couple to dressed-up tweens with their moms.

It's a pretty great big-screen movie, and it rewards any attention you give to a background detail. I was expecting a slight dip in my regard for it (as often happens with me when I rewatch longer, blockbuster films), but I was surprised to find that I liked it just as much if not more the second time around.
I love your positive vibes, as ever.

I liked it, but I don't know if I would want to see it again.

I love your positive vibes, as ever.
There was a moment, just a moment, when "Closer to Fine" started playing for the second time and a woman sitting next to me hummed a few notes of it and for a second, just for a second, I could feel that like three people to my left were considering singing along and I was like:

He would have preferred a film about Klaus Barbie

Wondering how you knew the elderly couple were lesbian?

The trick is not minding
Wondering how you knew the elderly couple were lesbian?
I was with Takoma, and it was, as Crumbs suggests, one of those couples you can tell by their interaction with each other.

I was with Takoma, and it was, as Crumbs suggests, one of those couples you can tell by their interaction with each other.
Okay.

Ryan Gosling is top!