The Reputation Tracker

Tools    

And Destiny, I wish I knew what you meant by knowing what was "actually going on." *confused*
I'll go get those in a minute. Quotes, that is.

I'm curious as to how I've apparently received negative rep, but I've never seen who gives it out and what threads I've received it in. Sure I don't really care that much, although I do use rep to see how my posts are noted by others, and if I'm actually contributing anything halfway decent to the board.
They only use to be anonymous. Are you not seeing them until they are past the last ten that are visible?

In all honesty, I could care less to see what comments I've left others. Also, seeing as how they have probably deleted them, shouldn't that make them disappear on my end as well!?! Anyway, if I were to pick any added option in this section, I would prefer to be able to scroll my reps. Maybe the comments, as well, but for sure the reps. I have come in to more than ten reps being given to me since my last visit, and I never got to know what they were for, or who they were from.

well.....if you rely too much on comments if begins to look to everyone (who cant see your many comments) as though you are anti-social and never read/respond to others.
I love receiving movie suggestions in comment, and they are best used for a little joke, or whatever. One thing I am not a fan of, is when I ask someone a question on the board, and they send me my answer in a comment. Why? Why not reply in the same way that I asked?

Too funny, mack! I was just thinking that because I was in a thread where two people responded to me, and so I responded to one in the thread, and then wrote a comment to the other because I didn't want to double post, and then I felt bad because I didn't comment in the thread.
Me, in this thread, earlier today. I'm double posting to say this, too.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I have come in to more than ten reps being given to me since my last visit, and I never got to know what they were for, or who they were from.
Oh, well, aren't you the lucky one? Some of us don't get 10 at one time.

*green with envy*

So, double posting is okay, eh?

So, double posting is okay, eh?
I don't feel bad when I do it. I've seen others do it. I wouldn't do it a lot, but I won't make sure that I never do it, either. Rufnek does a triple, quad, and then some post, when he gets going. He may be unaware of the multi quote button that's installed on the board. That, or he just doesn't care.

there's a multi quote button?
Go to each reply that you want to quote, and click that red reply tab, to make it green. It is in between the 'reply' and 'quick reply' tabs on the bottom right of each post. Once you click each of those, then hit reply in the final post that you want to quote, and there you go. They are all in one.

Welcome to the human race...
I seriously wonder what would happen to everyone's rep count if the Quote of the Day thread was annulled.

With mine, not much. I've done maybe 7-8 posts, I suppose. The most reps per post was 7. That only happened once, I do believe. Normally it's 5-6 reps per post.

OK tramp. I was referring to that naked thread, and Pyro's banning. I saw him say this . . .

"Yeah, i forgot that that actually was sexual, only meant the spinning bit- which is what the site is about, the back bit is purely incidental."

Knowing a bit about him, I immediately thought, "Oh, he must have posted a rave video, and some couple was getting too sexual in the background."

A few days later, Bill posted . . .

"Wait a minute.... spinning meat? I want to know what is that, but I ain't googling that."

Obviously, that deleted my thoughts about someone spinning records. I was like, "Spinning meat . . . spinning meat? . . . spinning??? meat???"

So, unlike Bill, I looked it up. By the time I was done giving it this, the site informed me that I had been starring at it for too long, and was obviously gay.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I have a solution...

Only the first two sections of the site should contain posts which are actually 'reppable' in the traditional sense but keep the comments button for all posts. I know I've probably picked up a fair few hundred points from the Miscellaneous Chat section so could well be accused of being a turkey voting for Christmas but what is the point of rep in this Web 2.0 soon-to-be post Bush MoFo?

Is it to give new members an idea of who's opinions carry some weight about movies? Surely this would add more weight to the ranking system?

Oh, and I'd do away with negative reps altogether now - if you're even half a regular member here you know who the (mercifully few) nitwits are. If an individual post is tickling your ire then why not enlighten the poster in public, for the sake of debate 'n all.

If they're blatantly trolling/spamming then enlighten a Mod.

I know that there are hundreds of posts and, indeed, threads which aren't movie-related and are of high quality so, I dunno, there might be an alternative (non-ranked but reflected beside a username) touchy-feely Nobel Laureate type award. Hugs or something girly?

Question: Are we not men? Answer: We are MoFo!

Yeah, now jrs has gone don't need to be having the neg rep.

With the 'Quote of the Day' thread i was thinking would be interesting to, instead of having rep points work there, have the Quote with the most hits each day get automatically put on the front page. That way it really is the Quote of the Day and there's still incentive to post (for those who do it for credit lol).

The Quote of the Day thread is habit forming.
I look forward to it each day.
I have always enjoyed quotes, so it's perfect for me to go there.
It's nice to read the quotes members have posted.
It gives me a chance to think about them too.

Rep has very few if any down sides.
I freely disperse it.
It's like a barbecue.
It feels good to share it.

I have a solution...

Only the first two sections of the site should contain posts which are actually 'reppable' in the traditional sense but keep the comments button for all posts. I know I've probably picked up a fair few hundred points from the Miscellaneous Chat section so could well be accused of being a turkey voting for Christmas but what is the point of rep in this Web 2.0 soon-to-be post Bush MoFo?
I tell you what, if I was still taking hours upon hours of my time to make those games, this idea would have me urked.

Is it to give new members an idea of who's opinions carry some weight about movies? Surely this would add more weight to the ranking system?
If a new member can't tell who that is, in a day or two of posting, they haven't been reading the board.

I know that there are hundreds of posts and, indeed, threads which aren't movie-related and are of high quality so, I dunno, there might be an alternative (non-ranked but reflected beside a username) touchy-feely Nobel Laureate type award. Hugs or something girly?
If it's really bugging some of you, then why not keep it simple. Instead of altering the board, and/or the rep system, simply ask them to lighten up on repping the quotes?!?

Question: Are we not men?
Last time checked . . . nope!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Hey, even eBay just got rid of negative rep from sellers to buyers! That was news to me recently -- and it makes sense. I can't tell you the times folks I know got negative rep from sellers because they left negative rep on an item they bought. Most sellers would purposely wait till you repped them until they'd rep you back -- just to hold that over your head and almost force you to positive-rep them.

Aaaanyway, yeah, sometimes the negative rep is annoying. I have very little, but sometimes they're just because someone doesn't agree with my opinion, even if it was cogently expressed and courteous. ??

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Hey, even eBay just got rid of negative rep from sellers to buyers! That was news to me recently -- and it makes sense. I can't tell you the times folks I know got negative rep from sellers because they left negative rep on an item they bought. Most sellers would purposely wait till you repped them until they'd rep you back -- just to hold that over your head and almost force you to positive-rep them.

Aaaanyway, yeah, sometimes the negative rep is annoying. I have very little, but sometimes they're just because someone doesn't agree with my opinion, even if it was cogently expressed and courteous. ??
That's great news about ebay. I'm with you, that was stupid. I was afraid to ever really be honest about a seller for fear they would negative rep me.

I've only given out two negative reps and I apologized later for one of them.

"

A few days later, Bill posted . . .

"Wait a minute.... spinning meat? I want to know what is that, but I ain't googling that."

Obviously, that deleted my thoughts about someone spinning records. I was like, "Spinning meat . . . spinning meat? . . . spinning??? meat???"

So, unlike Bill, I looked it up. By the time I was done giving it this, the site informed me that I had been starring at it for too long, and was obviously gay.
Woops, heh, sorry.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I tell you what, if I was still taking hours upon hours of my time to make those games, this idea would have me urked.
Movie game - Movie section, simple as that. It's the same as the Movie Tab thread - some threads would need moved around. I'm really not a 'quiz' person so have no idea how much rep those threads attract. If I touched a nerve I apologise - I didn't mean to denigrate the work done by anyone in setting them up.

If a new member can't tell who that is, in a day or two of posting, they haven't been reading the board.
What, then, is the point of rep that couldn't be accomplished by the (private) comment button? If it's become nothing more than en ego-massaging E-penis I don't think that was Chris's original intention.

If it's to indicate via the Post ratings section what posts and posters are most appreciated on a Movie site then I think it's sensible to have some distinction in the way that this appreciation is logged. MoFo, in my opinion, succeeds because, first and foremost, there is a collection of great people here and I wouldn't want that to go unnoticed. Hence my second suggestion.

If it's really bugging some of you, then why not keep it simple. Instead of altering the board, and/or the rep system, simply ask them to lighten up on repping the quotes?!?
It's not bugging me in the slightest - some of the earlier posts got me thinking, that's all. I know personally that I stopped posting regularly in the Quotes section months ago. I'd be a liar if I said that this was the reason (maybe I just got bored) but something must have sparked it, I dunno.

Last time checked . . . nope!
Exactly! We are MoFo!

Personally I don't think the rep system works well at all. A lot of people just don't give rep, even when they've clearly enjoyed/agreed with a post. They're either unaware of it, or are just too mean. There's also a 'I'll rep you, if you rep me' culture happening. People who buddy up on the site are just giving reputation to each other regardless of quality. Someone could've been posting garbage on this site for five years, but still have a full rep bar, it's nonsense. I received a message from someone saying, 'remember, the more rep you give, the more you get'. What a crock, so in other words, 'you rep me first, then I'll rep you back'. I'm sorry but that's b******t.

I think reputation points are clearly part of this site's addiction factor, hence their use. As Tacitus said they're ego forming, people are desperate for a 'lightsabre', but when you consider the above it really doesn't mean much.

Now I'm starting to feel guilty because I posted in the 'Quote of the day' thread. I really enjoy that thread, I love reading the quotes, and like to contribute my own favourites. I certainly don't do it as a sly way of rep hunting. When I read some of the cynical comments about posting there, it just smacks of mean spirited smugness. After all, most of the people complaining about it already have 'lightsabres'.

To sum up my thoughts, rep points just inject a needless class system into what is supposed to be fun. They can be used for good, but the possibility for abuse is massive. I think Groovy Moovie perfectly illustrated this point when he gave Holden Pike over a hundred negative reps, just because he didn't like him. Yes it's good to know who the most respected MoFos are. But I think people are perfectly capable of making up their own minds on who is posting quality stuff simply by reading through the threads.

This is a tough issue. I like that you guys are tossing ideas around and discussing this, but to those of you who are, eh, a little upset about any of this, I'd like you to consider the fact that I've fiddled with the rep system endlessly, but it's proved impossible to please everyone.

Personally I don't think the rep system works well at all. A lot of people just don't give rep, even when they've clearly enjoyed/agreed with a post. They're either unaware of it, or are just too mean. There's also a 'I'll rep you, if you rep me' culture happening. People who buddy up on the site are just giving reputation to each other regardless of quality. Someone could've been posting garbage on this site for five years, but still have a full rep bar, it's nonsense. I received a message from someone saying, 'remember, the more rep you give, the more you get'. What a crock, so in other words, 'you rep me first, then I'll rep you back'. I'm sorry but that's b******t.
Whoever said that to you does not share my idea of what the reputation system is for, but I think you may be extrapolating that one person's comment out onto the community as a whole. I don't give engage in any sort of rep-for-rep culture, and I think lots of other regulars don't, either. I'm sure some do, but I do not believe it's the norm.

Also, I have to take issue with the idea that "Someone could've been posting garbage on this site for five years, but still have a full rep bar." I honestly can't think of a single instance of this happening. There are a few users who have a lot of rep because they are friendly, polite, and make a point to welcome new users, but that's about it. It's true that if you're a solid member of the community and stick around, you'll get a lot of rep after awhile. But you won't get it by posting "garbage."

I think reputation points are clearly part of this site's addiction factor, hence their use. As Tacitus said they're ego forming, people are desperate for a 'lightsabre', but when you consider the above it really doesn't mean much.
Now I'm starting to feel guilty because I posted in the 'Quote of the day' thread. I really enjoy that thread, I love reading the quotes, and like to contribute my own favourites. I certainly don't do it as a sly way of rep hunting. When I read some of the cynical comments about posting there, it just smacks of mean spirited smugness. After all, most of the people complaining about it already have 'lightsabres'.
I'm not sure what comments are supposed to have been "cynical." Pyro was actually very light-hearted when he pointed out how the rep flies around in there. And that, to me, is the key: noticing rep, but not taking it too seriously.

To sum up my thoughts, rep points just inject a needless class system into what is supposed to be fun.
Most people use the system without too much turmoil, so I think it IS fun, for the most part. And I think calling it a class system is a vast overstatement. To each their own, though.

Anyway, before the rep system we had people saying similar things about post counts. Big posts counts were the main form of status, and people would post with an eye towards quantity rather than quality. We tried lots of different things to combat this; not incrementing post counts in certain forums, introducing The Shoutbox to handle little random asides, etc. But nothing worked quite so well on this front as the introduction of the reputation system. Though we can't objectively quantify these sorts of things, I sit at a pretty good vantage point, and feel confident in saying that the rep system is probably responsible for an uptick in post quality (and more user reviews) over the last couple years.

Or, to paraphrase Winston Churchill: the rep system is the worst form of rating users, except for all the others. Removing the system will not stop the problems of "class" or status, it will simply shift them onto other things, like post counts. The only way to avoid these problems altogether is to remove any trace of individuality or tenure.

They can be used for good, but the possibility for abuse is massive. I think Groovy Moovie perfectly illustrated this point when he gave Holden Pike over a hundred negative reps, just because he didn't like him.
That was reported, and the rep was removed. The possibility for abuse is no more massive than it is in the fact that people can post at all; we keep an eye out, people report things, and we deal with them.

Yes it's good to know who the most respected MoFos are. But I think people are perfectly capable of making up their own minds on who is posting quality stuff simply by reading through the threads.
I agree. But two things come to mind in response: first, that anyone who can make up their own minds to determine these things themselves can also make up their own mind to simply disregard or ignore the system, so it shouldn't be a problem for them.

The second is that the rep system exists for the people who use it, too. I think users like having something to show for all their time here, and understandably so. Think of any major award: you don't just give it to show the world who won, but to reward the person who earned it. Rep's like that: it quantifies certain things for everyone to see and, in a small way, rewards users for their contributions, too.

Of course, I expect to get a lot of rep for this post, so I'm a bit biased.

Go to each reply that you want to quote, and click that red reply tab, to make it green. It is in between the 'reply' and 'quick reply' tabs on the bottom right of each post. Once you click each of those, then hit reply in the final post that you want to quote, and there you go. They are all in one.
Thanks! I didn't know that