Movies You Watched In School?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
And the country you watched them in.. If you are in the US, you can put your state.. I'm curious..

Our classes were under an hour, so it usually took days to watch, but I remember in 11th grade (age 16) we watched "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington".. 12th grade, we watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" but I remember missing one day, so I don't remember much (reminded me of Pygmalion).

I'm sure I'll think of more...

And the country you watched them in.. If you are in the US, you can put your state.. I'm curious..

Our classes were under an hour, so it usually took days to watch, but I remember in 11th grade (age 16) we watched "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington".. 12th grade, we watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" but I remember missing one day, so I don't remember much (reminded me of Pygmalion).

I'm sure I'll think of more...
This is in England – I remember when Schindler's List came out it was provided to schools especially so that it could be seen; I'm not sure how concurrent with its release in cinemas but obviously quite soon.

Also in History we saw things like The Untouchables, Dances with Wolves, Hope and Glory. In English it was specific to what we were reading, so Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights, A Midsummer Night's Dream (BBC TV production). Difficult to remember the others, but for some odd reason I feel like I saw The Emerald Forest in Media Studies.

In South Korea I remember watching The Black Cauldron when I was in pre-K.

In Florida I remember watching The Godfather in English class when I was in high school. It tied in to the study of Machiavelli. Saw the TV movie version of The Odyssey in middle school. I saw the Kenneth Branagh Hamlet in high school as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
California, the 1960s. In elementary school they often showed a movie after school with popcorn for ten cents. I first saw there The Red Balloon, The Music Box and Sons of the Desert. In high school in the '70s we mostly watched films of the classic novels we read, such as Great Expectations (Lean), The Good Earth and Frankenstein so we could compare and contrast them.

In South Korea I remember watching The Black Cauldron when I was in pre-K.

In Florida I remember watching The Godfather in English class when I was in high school. It tied in to the study of Machiavelli. Saw the TV movie version of The Odyssey in middle school. I saw the Kenneth Branagh Hamlet in high school as well.
The Armand Assante version of The Odyssey? That's the best one up to now. Bit Americanised in places and it's a shame the Sirens weren't in it but otherwise a decent production.

These are the movies I remember watching in class some time before High School (in Canada):

James and the Giant Peach
The Dark Crystal
Schindler's List
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Maybe A Nightmare Before Christmas? (not 100% certain)

These are the movies we went on field trips to see in theatres:

Titanic (the projectionist tried to cover up the nudity but failed haha)
Pearl Harbor

I'm sure there were others but I can't think of them right now. My room mate (who went to the same school and was in many of the same classes as me) is at work right now so I can't ask her what she remembers.

English class - 8th grade.

My english teacher showed us a lot of movies because she was too lazy to teach and so she showed movies in english (with portuguese subtitles though ).

Another one she showed us:

EVERY YEAR in my music classes we watched Amadeus, over a span of several days. I like the movie now because of it.

I also remember watching Bye Bye Birdie and for some reason The Jungle Book (I guess for the music). I think Fantasia was another one.

I remember watching The Princess Bride in a regular class.

Oliver! I think that was another music class movie.

Dave in history class -- the Kevin Kline/Sigourney Weaver vehicle.

Pocahontas. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. The 1960's Romeo & Juliet (guys in my class acting disgusted when Romeo stood up butt naked, and I couldn't relate to that at all). To Kill a Mockingbird. Some old version of Great Expectations. Field of Dreams. Network (journalism class). Every now and then an odd substitute teacher would put something totally unrelated to education in the VCR for us to watch, but I've forgotten some of them. Jumanji in elementary school. I think Mrs. Doubtfire may have even snuck in the VCR a time or two.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amadeus.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	26474  

Pretty sure I also watched October Sky in either a history or science class. That might have been my first ever exposure to Mr. Gyllenhaal.

Rudy

Every year in P.E. (Physical Education).

Sometimes there was even an option to either go in a room and watch Rudy, or go outside and play football/volleyball. You can guess which one I chose.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudy.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	26475  

In elementary school in NY I watched Stand By Me and House. I remember thinking how odd that was when I got older.

In High School in Florida we watched To Kill A Mockingbird and Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

That's all I remember but I think my English teacher in 10th grade showed us some Shakespeare and I slept. Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet come to mind.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ashes and Diamonds (it was before I became a cinephile, so I didn't quite get movie's greatness, but enjoyed it nevertheless)
Nad Niemnem (based on a Polish book of the same title, I never finished the movie, and never started the book)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (it was my second watch as I've already seen the film before)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I just remembered in 9th grade English we saw "West Side Story" - I remember me (and others) thought it was so awful, until the second half. 10th grade English we saw "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Almos A Man" (TV Movie). 11th grade English we saw "The Great Gatsby" - I even bought it a couple of years ago on VHS, but never watched it.. I never read in school; many would use cliff-notes, or skim, or copy.. We also saw the remake of "Of Mice and Men" in that class. And in 9th grade we saw the 1966 version of "Romeo and Juliet." In 12th grade, we saw "10 Things I Hate About You" and remembering it as being the worst movie I ever saw in a school (the same teacher who showed us 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'

Also saw "Gideon's Trumpet" (Henry Fonda), probably a TV movie in Criminology, so probably 10th grade.

I forgot to say earlier, but I saw these in the late 90's (c/o 2000)

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Canada, Midwest - After finishing the books and all the course material, I recall a couple of optional classes per year, where if you didn't already rent the films on your own time (free from the library or pay at video store), students could watch the movie through two classes and two recesses.

The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Macbeth (1971)
The Outsiders
(1983)
Rumble Fish (1983)

From what I remember:
- The Patriot (2000)
- The Alamo (2004)
- Schindler's List (1993)
- Romeo & Juliet (1968)
- The Outsiders (1983)

Those were all in class. One year we had a thing where kids who didn't qualify for end of semester tests headed to the gymnasium for a movie in the afternoon. I remember they put on Marley & Me (2008) causing one male teacher to burst into tears at the end. Kind of messed up because him and his wife miscarried around that time.

My high school drama teacher introduced me to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? in my acting class. My junior year, I was introduced to Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound in my psychology class, believe it or not.

My high school drama teacher introduced me to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? in my acting class. My junior year, I was introduced to Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound in my psychology class, believe it or not.
is Spellbound a psychological movie?

In High School -

The 1970's All Quiet on the Western Front, Elf, 21, Tucker the Man and his Dream, The American President, Catch me if you Can, Cast Away, Inception and Hitch's The Birds.