Favorite Lighter TV Shows

Tools    

Hello everyone. I thought this might make for an interesting discussion. I watch a lot of law enforcement themed programs ("Law and Order", "Criminal Minds", "Castle", "Bones", "Blue Bloods", "Homeland", "24", etc). I enjoy these shows, but I feel like they are often heavy and very similarly themed, and I'm looking to diversify my TV and streaming choices. What lighter TV shows, either comedies, or those that don't involve such heavy themes as the crime oriented shows that I watch, are your favorites? In terms of comedies, I like shows like "Frasier", Everybody Loves Raymond", and "The King of Queens", but I find they aren't really making these types of shows anymore. For modern shows that fit this paradigm, I like "Hacks" and "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", but am otherwise finding it hard to find shows that I really enjoy that are lighter. Thoughts and recommendations everyone?

The Detectorists, one billion percent. Very mild drama, super chill, lovely show, takes its time. Just a lovely hidden little gem and I'd have to think for awhile to even come up with another example that's close.

...What lighter TV shows, either comedies, or those that don't involve such heavy themes as the crime oriented shows that I watch, are your favorites?...
Most of what I watch I doubt many here would like but they are lighter...Just search for classic TV shows and see what you get.

Off the top of my head:

Roseanne

Black-ish

30 Rock

Mom

Will & Grace

The Neighborhood

Grace and Frankie

Everybody Hates Chris

Designing Women

Barney Miller

If you haven't seen Life on Mars (2006-07), you might enjoy it. It's a Brit police drama, but there's comedy, time travel and science fiction thrown in. 20 60 minute eps.

The Detectorists, one billion percent. Very mild drama, super chill, lovely show, takes its time. Just a lovely hidden little gem and I'd have to think for awhile to even come up with another example that's close.
I have never heard of this! How long do you think I should give it before I determine if I like it? Is it the kind of show that within one episode I'll be able to figure that out, or does it take longer to get a sense of the show?

Off the top of my head:

Will & Grace
Grace and Frankie
I've seen these and like them. I haven't seen the rest in your list. I liked the original "Will & Grace" much better than I liked it when they brought it back recently. For me the show wasn't the same.

I have never heard of this! How long do you think I should give it before I determine if I like it? Is it the kind of show that within one episode I'll be able to figure that out, or does it take longer to get a sense of the show?
I'd give it a few episodes. It's definitely on its own wavelength. The "problem" is it's British so entire seasons will be, like, six episodes. I guess you should probably know pretty quickly, though. There are some really nice payoffs that you might enjoy even if it doesn't grab you, though, particularly because it's not meant to grab you at all. But I think you should find it pleasant pretty much immediately, if it's going to be for you.

Oh, maybe The Kominsky Method on Netflix, too. Well-acted, some light drama but it's pretty lighthearted and simple. Two episodes tops and you'll know if it's for you.

Love this show. Hugely popular here in the UK.

I've seen these and like them. I haven't seen the rest in your list. I liked the original "Will & Grace" much better than I liked it when they brought it back recently. For me the show wasn't the same.

Yeah, the Will & Grace reboot didn't work for me either.

Another British comedy: Motherland.
I'd second this and Detectorists. Both brilliant

Also:

Gavin & Stacey
Garth Marengie's Dark Place
Blackadder Series 2-4
The Vicar Of Dibley

For something more modern

Taskmaster
The Rickey Gervais Show
The Trip
Downton Abbey

For more gentle tv:
The Great British Bake Off
Father Brown (It is murders, based on the G.K. Chesterton character but gentle English countryside stuff shown in the afternoons here)
The Indian Doctor
The Victorian Farm (there's a few of these, Edwardian/Tudor/Wartime)

I'd give it a few episodes. It's definitely on its own wavelength. The "problem" is it's British so entire seasons will be, like, six episodes. I guess you should probably know pretty quickly, though. There are some really nice payoffs that you might enjoy even if it doesn't grab you, though, particularly because it's not meant to grab you at all. But I think you should find it pleasant pretty much immediately, if it's going to be for you.
Speaking of 6 episodes per season, another Brit show - Slow Horses - had 2 seasons in a single year. Unheard of here. Excellent show.

Oh, maybe The Kominsky Method on Netflix, too. Well-acted, some light drama but it's pretty lighthearted and simple. Two episodes tops and you'll know if it's for you.
I loved this too. Great to see two relatively old guys still delivering.

Another excellent Brit series is The Gold based on true events.