Harry Lime's List

→ in
Tools    

25. North by Northwest (1959, Hitchcock)

24. On the Waterfront (1954, Kazan)

23. Le Samourai (1967, Melville)

22. A Clockwork Orange (1971, Kubrick)

21. The Wild Bunch (1969, Peckinpah)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

20. Fargo (1996, Coen)

19. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975, Forman)

18. Casablanca (1942, Curtiz)

17. The Godfather Part II (1974, Coppola)

16. Seven Samurai (1954, Kurosawa)

15. The Thin Red Line (1998, Malick)

14. Chinatown (1974, Polanski)

13. Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948, Huston)

12. Goodfellas (1990, Scorsese)

11. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, Spielberg)

I love the Vertigo poster.

10. Vertigo (1958, Hitchcock)

9. City of God (2003, Meirelles/Lund)

8. The Third Man (1949, Reed)

7. Rashomon (1951, Kurosawa)

6. Pulp Fiction (1994, Tarantino)

5. Dr. Strangelove (1964, Kubrick)

4. Star Wars (1977, Lucas)

3. Taxi Driver (1976, Scorsese)

2. The Godfather (1972, Coppola)

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Kubrick)

Welcome to the human race...
Short and sweet. Nice work, Harry. Rep will be headed your way soon enough.

Also, believe it or not, I own a Vertigo T-shirt.

I may put up pics one of these days. Granted, I've virtually never worn it (because despite owning a shirt of it, I'm not really a fan of the movie - I just picked it up when I visited the Franciscan mission that featured prominently in the movie) but it's an interesting shirt.

Let me know which films you like seeing there on the list, and even the films you don't like. It's all good, I won't be insulted. People like different things, thankfully.

It's a very good list. Out of the ones I've seen, they're either favourites or films that I still reckon are excellent anyway (with a handful of exceptions - The Road Warrior and Rushmore are the "worst" films on the list to me). A lot of the ones I haven't seen are still rather hard to get a hold of around here so yeah.

Great list Harry.... you have several of my favorites on there and many that I've yet to see... and so my "to see list" grows in length once again...

I've added you to the MoFo Top 100 page...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Great List, don't agree with number 1, but it's your list.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Of course I think your list rules. Thirty of them are on my list, and another 30 may well end up on my extended list. Most of the rest are good movies and even the few I don't feel the love for I respect and have watched multiple times. The only ones I haven't seen are Close-up and A Short Film About Killing. I can queue those up now.

Mark, read up on Close-Up, it's an odd film where reality and fiction blend to create what I believe to be Iran's best film. I don't want to give away too much, but it involves a true story where a man impersonated a famous Iranian filmmaker to gain standing with a family, convincing them he would have them star in his next film. The catch is that all the real people play themselves in the film, including the con artist and the filmmaker he imitated, Mohsen Makhmalbaf. Not going to be loved by everyone, but well worth watching especially if you have never seen an Iranian film before, they're quite different.

As for A Short Film About Killing, this film and A Short Film About Love are parts V and VI of Kieslowski's ten part made for television series called The Decalogue broadcast originally in Poland, where each episode is losely based on the Ten Commandments. The two parts made into films are extended versions and both are excellent. I would have just listed The Decalogue, but this felt like cheating since it was a tv series and then I would have had to include The Corner as well. But if you have ten hours to kill, I could think of many worse ways to do so than watching The Decalogue.