Best Moments of Dialogue-Free Acting

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Wow. Thats the sign of some good acting. If you can see the spit.

Terrific thread.

Um, i've mentioned this scene numerous times, but I feel it's easily sums up the nature of this thread.

THAT scene in Ryan Fleck's Half Nelson has some of the most immense acting I have ever seen. And theres no dialogue whats ever. You just know exactly what they're saying and they didn't even have to say a word. Ifthis is not the best example of acting, I don't know what is.

Iconic performance by Ryan Gosling, and that little girl is probably the best child actor i've seen in a long time.

Check out this very scene right here on youtube.

The most recent example I can think of are the subtle facial expressions that Daniel Day-Lewis used in There Will Be Blood. Two of my personal favourites are...

WARNING: "There Will Be Blood" spoilers below
1) When he gradually finds out that Henry is not his real brother, his face undergoes what I'd call a metamorphosis. Right next to the campfire, just before he shoots Henry, he gets this absolutely evil look in his eyes that was just sublime.

Mate, that scene was flippin funny imo. Lol, DDL expression was a picture. When Henry is telling his sob story, you half expect Plainview to have a look of sympathy..but then his face is one of pure disgust, lol. Excellent moment.

You ready? You look ready.
I just thought of this one, even though it's animated it still comes to mind: the entirety of Les Triplets of Belleville. That film was freaking brilliant.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

reservoir dogs circa 1881
cant remember the exact film as he does it alot i think the moment im thinking of is in backdraft but kurt russells general eyes watering silent rage always looks good to me

Death of A Salesman- the bit with the spit

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qozeZjEDUtQ

At about 8.50 it's dripping down and his face is SOAKED
At last, thank you. Ever since your first post i have been dying to see that spit drool down his face. You are way too considerate.

Maybe you should have that bit as your avatar? You seem to be into spittle.

Now you mention it, i believe if we look back over all past Best Actor and Best Actress performances for the Oscars, each one does indeed involve epic amounts of spittle.

reservoir dogs circa 1881
dont know if its exactly in key to the thread but really like the scene in eyes wide shut where tom spends 10 mins walking the streets at night paranoid that hes being followed theres music for tension but cant remember there being dialogue

I am half agony, half hope.
The rape scene in The Virgin Spring. Starting with the look on Karin's face when she realizes the men aren't harmless after all. Great emotion, menace, and tension from the actors in that bit.

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two that come to mind are the scene near the end of The Sand Pebbles where Steve McQueen is up on the wall and is pretty sure that he's going to die and he gets this realization on his face that maybe he just doesn't understand why he's there and WTF is going on with the Americans in China. I find it a deeply moving scene and quite powerful since even though the film is set in the 1920s and in China, it's most definitely a commentary on the Vietnam War, and a very early one, having come out in 1966.

The other one is a scene near the end of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest where McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) and Chief (Will Sampson) have a very easy chance to escape from the mental hospital, but Nicholson silently reflects on whether it really will be worth it, not only to escape for an all too brief a time, but to leave his new friends out to dry over a party which he organized as a cover for his escape.

amateur pianist
What I've got in mind is Harry Dean Stanton as a resolute, walking-cactus.

I would have to say Al Pacino in the Godfather also. The part where he is at the dinner table with the police captain and Solozzo and how he has that fear of having to shoot them. That part was great.

Clint Eastwood in the Leone movies.

Those stares with the cigar are awesome.

And you know what, just about every close-up Leone ever filmed is pretty awesome too.

Registered Creature
Pretty much all the facial expressions David Carradine wore in Kung Fu (TV series). Fantastic.

Whenever Clint Eastwood gives "that" look to the bad guys or whatever, in all of his movies (or the ones I've seen, anyway) even I just feel like cowering and hiding because it's so scary. You do not wanna mess with him.