Movie Tab II

Tools    

I remember i understood DD, but i can't actually remember the film very well at all now i'm trying to answer ucl. Really should watch that one again as well...

WARNING: "Donnie Darko" spoilers below
I think the end, he goes back in time through the worm hole to let himself be killed by the falling jet so the time space thing is fine and all his friends live. As for Frank, i've never really thought past the fact he's his sisters b/f.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
i sort of worked out that he did that but i wasnt 100% cause id missed bits of the movie and wasnt sure if id missed important bits. Like the second part of that spoiler; i had no idea

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
Like the second part of that spoiler; i had no idea
At the very beggining of the film, you see Frank's orange Trans-Am dropping Maggie off. Not that that really tells you much.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The People's Republic of Clogher
Capturing The Friedmans (2003, Andrew Jarecki)

5/5

Not easy viewing but I think this is an astonishing documentary. A dysfunctional family who filmed themselves going through the most stressful time in their lives.

And kept on filming when it got a whole lot worse...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Capturing The Friedmans (2003, Andrew Jarecki)

5/5
SUCH a strange movie. I don't know if it's more shocking that they kept the cameras rolling through all of it, or that it happened in the first place.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
SUCH a strange movie. I don't know if it's more shocking that they kept the cameras rolling through all of it, or that it happened in the first place.
Capturing The Friedmans still leaves me with a lot of questions (and this is my 2nd watch). The police investigation was deeply flawed but the Friedman family themselves were so...well...weird that I can't feel a lot of empathy with them. It's a compelling film whatever side of the fence you sit though...

That's where it left me, as well.
The body language of some of those who gave testimony was positively screaming "I'm lying!!!" and some had clearly been coerced. It's disturbing to think that there's even a question that the whole thing might have been created through fear. And the family are, as you say, so very strange... but then that's not a crime (thankfully)... The whole thing is fascinating. I didn't expect it to be, but from the opening frames of David sitting on those steps - his demeanor made me sit up and pay close attention.

Do you know my poetry?
Reefer Madness, F
1936 - Louis J. Gasnier

At Close Range, B-
1986 - James Foley

Salvador, B
1986 - Oliver Stone

Career Girls, A-
1997 - Mike Leigh

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
What didn't you understand?
I had a pleasant viewing of Darko yesterday and seeing as Pyro seems all clued up, I just need a few simple answers, i think i understand but there are some points that need clearing up for me..

1. What is the meaning of 'Cellar Door'?

2. How did he time travel?

3. (I think this i know but need some verification) What was Grandma Death's role?

In the mean-time...

Alien (1979 - Ridley Scott)

Aliens (1986 - James Cameron)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005 - Tim Burton)

Big Fish (2003 - Tim Burton)

North by Northwest (1959 - Alfred Hitchcock)

Rope (1948 - Alfred Hitchcock)

Million Dollar baby (2004 - Clint Eastwood)

The Descent (2005 - Neil Marshall)

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Capturing The Friedmans still leaves me with a lot of questions (and this is my 2nd watch). The police investigation was deeply flawed but the Friedman family themselves were so...well...weird that I can't feel a lot of empathy with them. It's a compelling film whatever side of the fence you sit though...

A very intresting documentary, I had to study it last year at film school. I've watched it 2-3 times now, in my opinion, the father was guilty, maybe not to the degree he was accused, but I think he did something, and that in itself is very sad. My main lasting memory of this documentary is how sad I felt for the oldest brother, he is living in a state of dissalusion and blind love for his dad. A very thought provoking documentary that I've enjoyed on all viewings, also studied " I'm trying to break your Heart " a documentary on the band Wilco, again an emotional rollercoaster of the band's new album which is panned by critics and leads to them being dropped by their record company, I won't ruin the ending but again a worthwhile documentary without any preaching a la Michael Moore.
Is it just me or is Moore a one trick pony now destined for the knacker's yard? I really enjoyed Faranheit 9/11, but if I have to hear about Flint Michigan one more time....., time to try something new and original Michael!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
The Woodsman

I wrote my humble review but I don't feel like typing it out right now. It will appear in my thread sometime this week (Probably Tomorrow).

Velvet Goldmine - 3/5 Some strong performances, esp by Ewen McGregor as a Jagger/Kobain hybrid and Christian Bale as a journalist very personally involved in his story. The story needed a little focusing, but the ride was fun. Almost Famous is quite similar and did a better job of involving us with the characters.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
I had a pleasant viewing of Darko yesterday and seeing as Pyro seems all clued up, I just need a few simple answers, i think i understand but there are some points that need clearing up for me..

1. What is the meaning of 'Cellar Door'?

2. How did he time travel?

3. (I think this i know but need some verification) What was Grandma Death's role?

Hehe, let me watch it again and i'll answer you then. Almost every class i was in at college was showed Donnie Darko at sometime, and i was the only person who had seen it, so i got a little frustrated by it, especcially as i had to explain to it the class, same with Mulholland Drive.

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
A very intresting documentary, I had to study it last year at film school....

Is it just me or is Moore a one trick pony now destined for the knacker's yard? I really enjoyed Faranheit 9/11, but if I have to hear about Flint Michigan one more time....., time to try something new and original Michael!
WARNING: "Capturing The Friedmans" spoilers below
I think it's pretty clear that Arnie had a guilty secret - I'm just not convinced that it had anything to do with the computer class. So, in effect, he was rightly punished for the wrong crime (if you follow). Jesse cuts a tragic figure, as do David and their mother.

I used to like Michael Moore a lot - probably around the time of Roger And Me and TV Nation on C4. I soon realised that his films are about MM first and his supposed subject second. Taking them on that level they're interesting and throw up a lot of relevant stuff, but balanced they ain't...

A system of cells interlinked
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (Nichols, 1966)
Wonderful film.

Phantom of the Opera (Schumacher, 2004)
Didn't finish this one, it was almost as bad as Batman and Robin.

Hannie Caulder (Kennedy, 1971)
I like watching Raquel gunsling, and I love 'ol Borgie, but it was just a so-so western.

Macross Plus (Watanabe, 1994)
Great anime, sort of Neuromancer meets Top Gun.

The Beguiled (Siegal, 1971)
For anyone who wants to see Clint get taken down by a bunch of school girls. I love this film.

Two Mules for Sister Sarah (Siegal, 1970)
Classic western with some great lines...

Firefox (Eastwood, 1982)
Not Clint's best work, to be sure, but I like a cold war flick every now and then, and this fit the bill.

Pale Rider (Eastwood, 1985)
Loses points for being heavy handed in it's messages, especially since we have seen how subtle Clint can be with his direction in Unforgiven. Still, a great western...

Friday the 13th (Cunningham, 1980)
Seeing as how there are so many of these ****ty movies out there, I automatically put these in the "do not watch" catagory. Caught this in the wee hours Saturday night hile I was feverish. It was on IFC and in widescreen, so I figured, what the hell, and you know... I enjoyed this film. The amatuerish feel sort of added to the creepy feel of the film. I found myself getting tense quite a bit, as they build suspense well in the first couple of acts. I also really liked the music. Then again, I did have a fever. I don't even know if I had seen this film. I didn't remember it.

The Last Broadcast
(Avalos, 1998)
Um...traumatizing!! The finale of this film bothered me, as it seemed so damn real.... Not for the squeamish....

I was sick all day yesterday, so I watched films all day.... The CLint Marathon was on the evil AMC, but I liked many of the films and decided to deal with the editing and the commercials...

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Coffee and Cigarettes - 3.5/5. Overall a pretty good movie. At times it moved a bit slow, but that was made up for by some very good scenes.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Born on the 4th of July--- I love this film more and more every time i watch it. he tale of ron Kovic starts out when he is a school kid wanting to do his part for his country in the vietnam war. Ron, played excellently by Tom Cruise, goes to war and finds it isnt bullets and glory. Incidents that happened in the dunes of a vietnam beach area leave him with nightmares of his actions. After being severly wounded Ron stays in a war hospitals with disgusting conditions. He is paralysed from the mid-chest down and on his return home he finds that the world has changed its mind on the war. his sacrifice was all for nothing.

He heads to mexico for a break from his family and finds a large group of paralysed war veterans playing cards, drinking all day and making the most of the local ladies 'hospitality'. Realising that the government wasnt clear about the war and the country was lied to he becomes an activist with the antiwar demonstrators. This is a well told story with Tom Cruise flexing his acting muscles to the fullest. He shows a good transformation from the young Ron to the scarred veteran with great depth and emotion. Willem Dafoe was wonderful as the embitterned parapelegic Charlie whose answer to it all is '****** em all.'

Blade Runner: The Directors Cut (uber-rewatch) Don't think i've seen this one (not sure which cut though) since i was about 10, it was even more amazing this time round, even if i did fall asleep and have to finish it the morning. 6/5

I'd like to have a discussion about the different versions if anyones up for it. Not really a discussion as much as having them explained to me lol.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Blade Runner: The Directors Cut
I'd like to have a discussion about the different versions if anyones up for it. Not really a discussion as much as having them explained to me lol.
HERE is a thread to read through and add on to. BladeRunner has been discussed in many ofther threads too, do a search and you'll find bunches.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra