What would you call the five greatest comedies of all time?

Tools    

Fifteen of my absolute favorite films that I consider to be comedies:

Brazil
City Lights
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Dr. Strangelove
The Graduate
Modern Times
The Apartment
Stardust Memories
Manhattan
Ed Wood
After Hours
Some Like It Hot
Bullets Over Broadway
Young Frankenstein
Playtime

Lord High Filmquisitor
Some of the funniest films I've seen are the classics, the really old classics.

My Man Godfrey (1936)
Too Many Husbands (1940)
The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941)
The Egg and I (1947)
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947)
Too Many Husbands sounds interesting, to say the least.

That coming from someone who nominated Borat as #5 on the list of the "greatest" comedies ever makes me laugh more than any of those comedies movies ever did!
the people who think borat can't be an all time great kind of a movie just because it's silly make laugh. the movie is hilarious, insightful, and inventive.

Too Many Husbands sounds interesting, to say the least.
Anything with the talented comedian Jean Arthur is good, same goes with Carol Lombard.

the people who think borat can't be an all time great kind of a movie just because it's silly make laugh. the movie is hilarious, insightful, and inventive.
Borat was very funny. It was original and shocking and yet intelligent in an insane way. It cracks me up, just thinking about it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
These movies might not be the "greatest comedies of all time", but these are the top of my list for the "funniest movies in my opinion".

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
Hot Stuff (1979)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
Liar Liar (1997)
My Cousin Vinny (1992)
Blake Edwards' S.O.B. (1981)
Seems Like Old Times (1980)
Soapdish (1991)
Spaceballs (1987)
The Cannonball Run (1981)

Plus any movie with Abbott & Costello or The Marx Brothers.

1. Tropic Thunder
2. Men In Black
3. Bad Santa
4. Shaun Of The Dead
5. Liar Liar (agree wuth gbgooodies)

I don't generally find older comedies funny.

Well… at least one person mentioned City Lights the greatest romantic comedy of all time.

Wing Chun is my favorite action comedy.

Evil Dead 2 is my favorite horror comedy.

Other personal favorites are Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Man Who Knew Too Little

Welcome to the human race...
"Insightful and inventive" might be a bit much for Borat. The extent of the insight seems to come from Sacha Baron Cohen using a character as insensitive, ignorant and bigoted as Borat expose various different "real" people for the clueless and hateful people they are. Meanwhile, I'm not sure it's all that inventive either because at its heart it's a pretty basic "hidden-camera stunt" kind of film with the main selling point being the line-crossing audacity of it all.

On a related note, why do you think The 40-Year-Old Virgin is the third-best comedy ever?

Master of My Domain
Why are you scolding others that post their personal favorite comedy films when the title is obviously "What would YOU call the five greatest comedies of all time?".

Your choices aren't that fabulous as well. This opinion of mine also proves that comedy is one of the hardest to generalize into a few best.

I'd agree with Mark that Richard Pryor Live in Concert definately belongs in the top five, but comedy is probably the most subjective genre of film, so what tickles you one day might not the next, but that one for me is on the always funny list.

the other ones that crack me up every time are
Airplane!
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Planes, Trains and Automobiles,
Uncle Buck
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Ranking Borat and 40-year-old virgin ahead of movies like Airplane! or Big Lebowsky in terms of "greatness" is as ridiculous as ranking Supertroopers ahead of the General, as you said!

A system of cells interlinked
INPO

The Big Lebowski
Clue
After Hours
Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
A Shot in the Dark
His Girl Friday
The Princess Bride
Brazil
Young Frankenstein

Hot Shots!
Police Academy
What about bob?
Airplane!
The Mask

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
These are just the first 5 that come to mind for me.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
This movie runs like a Bugs Bunny cartoon with gag after gag w the brilliant Peter Sellers. ...... "Do you know what kind of bomb it was?" "The exploding kind".

Blazing Saddles (1974)
The most classic of Mel Brooks' wackiness. ...."Mongo like candeee"

SLEEPER (1973)
Height of Woody Allen at his zaniest.... Woody beating a giant pudding to death clinches it for me.

Bridesmaids (2011)
So many funny women in 1 movie..."I'm life Annie, and I'm biting you in the ass!"

Annie Hall
Woody Allen's Magnum Opus-- brilliantly written and hysterical. "Are we driving through plutonium Max?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I would put all standup comedy.. If you can put Pryor, I can put Bill Hicks or George Carlin, but I'll stick to non-standup comedy movies.

-Ninja Bachelor Party (it's short, but it's the funniest thing ever, on youtube as well)
-This Is Spinal Tap
-Falling Down
-Seven Samurai (the part when Mifune comes in and says "I come from a long line of a respectable Samurai family." After the Ronin reads the scroll, he says, "According to this scroll, you are thirteen years old!" They all laugh, and for the next few minutes, everyone starts calling him "Thirteen" --- "Hey Thirteen,"

- The Big Lebowski
- Tucker And Dalve Vs. Evil
- Pineapple Express
-The Kid (Charlie Chaplin)
- Mr. Bean