Your own movie prejudices?

Tools    

Bluelion how can you say that's ridiculous when it's clearly my preference not to like reading sub titles?

I did not say foreign language films were bad because they had subtitles. I did not say they were bad at all.....I said I don't like to read subtitles, I don't like to read books either. If you say you don't like comic book movies because they don't appeal to you, should I say that's ridiculous? Are you saying I don't have a right to have movie preference, because it doesn't coincided with yours?
I wouldn't really call that a movie preference, I just think it's a shame that you don't like to watch subtitled films simply because you don't like reading subtitles. Subtitles are clearly the issue here and not the films that use them, which is why I think you're missing on a lot, since you're not judging the films based on their quality or their artistic value but on the fact that they use subtitles

It's like someone saying I don't like to watch old Hollywood films because they're black and white. That, to me, is equally ridiculous

I wouldn't really call that a movie preference, I just think it's a shame that you don't like to watch subtitled films simply because you don't like reading subtitles. Subtitles are clearly the issue here and not the films that use them, which is why I think you're missing on a lot, since you're not judging the films based on their quality or their artistic value but on the fact that they use subtitles
I can respect that because that's your opinion.

It's like someone saying I don't like to watch old Hollywood films because they're black and white. That, to me, is equally ridiculous
I can't respect that because you're not allowing me the freedom to dislike what I choose, even though you reserve that right for yourself.

I have a question for you...why do you seem threatened by the fact that I don't watch your type of movies? it clearly bugs you.

It strikes me as an almost high schoolish need to knock those who are different and won't conform to a group mentally.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm with Godoggo ^^ James Bond.
Seen all of them. Once. Won't be bothering with Spectre though.

I tend to steer clear of foreign language movies. Had some shtick on here for that, but I'm just not a fan of subtitled movies. I won't avoid all subtitled movies... Pan's Labyrinth is one of my 101% rated films, for instance.
Bit of a stigma, I know, but that's me.

I also tend to stay away from stuff like chick flicks. Sappy movies like Bridgette Jones, When Harry Met Sally, Twilight, The Notebook, Dirty Dancing, Notting Hill, Sex And The City etc etc etc... designed solely for housewives who think that their weight and failed relationships are the be-all and end-all of everything.
I like Dirty Dancing because I like movies with dancing in them, but I'm with you on the rest of them. I haven't seen The Notebook yet, but it doesn't look like something I'd like. Have always hated Sex in the City.

I have a question for you...why do you seem threatened by the fact that I don't watch your type of movies? it clearly bugs you.
What bugs me is the reasoning behind your choices, which I find to be absurd. But to each their own

While I absolutely love a few silent films, generally they are not as enjoyable.
And I really like a few westerns but most of them are terrible for my viewing pleasure as well.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
While I absolutely love a few silent films, generally they are not as enjoyable.
And I really like a few westerns but most of them are terrible for my viewing pleasure as well.
I don't watch a lot of westerns. They seem to be very love them or hate them for me. If I don't like it, I find it very hard to sit through but everyone I have liked, I've liked a lot.

I've changed my mind about silent films these last few years, so I want to watch some more. I used to not like Charlie Chaplin, but now have tons of respect for him. That scene in The Gold Rush captures loneliness, alienation and being utterly deflated better than any other movie I've ever seen.

I also have a newfound appreciation for Buster Keaton.

What bugs me is the reasoning behind your choices, which I find to be absurd. But to each their own
Bluelion in your first post, you could have reached out to me and talked about your joy for foreign films with the hope that your enthusiasm might encourage me to watch them. But instead you chose to write a more adversarial post, which has the opposite effect. Remember, 'You catch my flys with honey then vinegar.'

Was anything gained by this exchange? I know I didn't enjoy it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Just watch foreign films with no dialogue, Citizen Rules.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I don't watch a lot of westerns. They seem to be very love them or hate them for me. If I don't like it, I find it very hard to sit through but everyone I have liked, I've liked a lot.

I've changed my mind about silent films these last few years, so I want to watch some more. I used to not like Charlie Chaplin, but now have tons of respect for him. That scene in The Gold Rush captures loneliness, alienation and being utterly deflated better than any other movie I've ever seen.

I also have a newfound appreciation for Buster Keaton.
If you haven't seen it then watch City Lights - it's Chaplin's greatest work. Also listed by AFI as the #1 romantic comedy of all time.

It's fantastic, I dare say a perfect film.

It strikes me as an almost high schoolish need to knock those who are different and won't conform to a group mentally.

That's funny, it strikes me as an almost high schoolish perspective to not watch films because you have to read the dialog.

To each their own, I guess...

Bond movies. I've seen two and have no desire to see anymore . If del Toro or Bardem can't get me to like one, then nothing can.
Just for curiosity, what Bond films have you seen? I have seen all of the official Eon films that have been released and I liked all of them except for the Daniel Craig ones.

The only movies I tend to shy away from are romantic comedies. The ratio of **** films to good ones in that genre is probably way higher than any other.

Also the stuff about not watching a movie due to subtitles is really quite sad. The trick with subtitles is to glance at them and return to the picture. If you didn't get the whole idea, glance again. Usually they're up long enough for a few quick looks. Your brain reads faster than you think. Don't try to read the words aloud in your head. Just "see" them.

Welcome to the human race...
Just for curiosity, what Bond films have you seen? I have seen all of the official Eon films that have been released and I liked all of them except for the Daniel Craig ones.
Judging by the fact that the original message mentioned "del Toro and Bardem", I infer that they would be Licence to Kill and Skyfall.

As for Citizen Rules not wanting to read subtitles, well, I understand that having to "read" a movie does seem like a bit of hard work when you have to alternately concentrate on the film's imagery while also trying to follow the dialogue and, by extension, the narrative and character development. Proximity kind of has the right idea in that, if reading entire lines of subtitles proves too troublesome for you at first (or in general), then just skim-read them so as to get the gist. Citizen, a member like you certainly seems to have very good taste in English-language films and I imagine that an obstacle like subtitles would be worth overcoming if it meant being able to experience all the timeless classics of world cinema (or even just the well-made entertainment-oriented ones).

I tend to stay away from Horror movies, movies older than 1960, foreign movies and extremely low budget movies (barring ones that get rave reviews).

Call me simple minded, but everyone has their tastes.

I'm pretty much open to anything, but I'll procrastinate watching something that's very long, unless it really suits my taste. It's the only reason I haven't seen Gone With the Wind yet.
Pretty much this, though I'm kind of worse because I tend to procrastinate everything that is >2 hours long. I procrastinate film noirs and westerns as well... And don't know why, because I tend to like them. For instance I had Double indemnity for three years, I'm a fan of various other Billy Wilder films, and the movie has caught my interest for a very long time... and I could only bring myself to watch it two months ago. I loved it.

I tend to stay away from foreign films, not because I find the reading tiresome but for the lack of investment you get, a bunch of words onscreen doesn't pull me in. I need a film to speak to me, quite literally.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I love foreign movies, and until about last week, that was 90% of what I was watching last month, but I understand when you're reading that you aren't devoted that time watching the expressions of the actors as they are talking.

I also tend to stay away from stuff like chick flicks. Sappy movies like Bridgette Jones, When Harry Met Sally, Twilight, The Notebook, Dirty Dancing, Notting Hill, Sex And The City etc etc etc... designed solely for housewives who think that their weight and failed relationships are the be-all and end-all of everything.
Me too

wanabe movie critique
I'm prejudiced against movies with Tom Cruise in it.
Well...maybe except for Mission Impossible movies-