The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I am a huge, unabashed Steve Martin fan (clicky HERE), but as hilarious as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is I did not make room for it on my ballot. I did in fact vote for my favorite Steve Martin movie, but I don't have a whole lot of hope that it will show in the collective Top 50. But you all may well surprise me. We shall see. Good that Dirty Rotten Scoundrels made it, in any event.

My Cousin Vinny is fine. It was probably a little overrated at its time of release then faced some backlash when Tomei won the Oscar and may have been a bit underrated as a result and now that it plays somewhere on cable TV at least once every other day its ubiquity has swung the pendulum back to a tad overrated. It is a very old fashioned fish-out-water tale that would have been made by RKO in the '40s and shortened to an episode of "Green Acres" in the 1960s. It works not just due to the force of Pesci's personality but the strong supporting cast headed by Fred Gwynne as the flabbergasted Judge and also includes Bruce McGill, Lane Smith, Austin Pendleton, Maury Chaykin, and James Rebhorn. For my taste I wouldn't slot it in the Top 50 comedies of the 1990s...but hey, people love it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now that's an awesome set of films!!

My Cousin Vinny didn't make my list, but it could've on another given day. It was the first "adult" comedy I watched as a kid, and I was obsessed with going back and watching (alongside Mrs. Doubtfire) which is great too. I'd honestly hold it up their with 12 Angry Men and Orson Welles The Trial in terms of greatest court films

I never realized Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was so loved, and chalked it up as one of mine that wouldn't make it if it didn't break the first ten films of the list. I have it all the way up at #4, and in my eyes, it's truly the Steve Martin masterpiece, and he's in my top 3 favorite comedians. It's just outrageous, hilarious, fun that I would recommend to anyone.

My List:
4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
9. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
14. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
17. The Kid (1921)
25. Scary Movie 4 (2006) (1 PTer)

Two damn funny films, but neither made my ballot. "My Cousin Vinny" came very close. Loved the writing and Fred Gwynn was perfect as an uptight southern judge, "Let the record show that the counselor is holding up two fingers".

Seen both, voted for neither...

My Cousin Vinny
...was one of the comedies I watched in preparation for the countdown. I wrote this about it:

My Cousin Vinny (1992)

My Cousin Vinny, I would say it is one of the most universally loved comedies of all times...I've never heard anyone say it wasn't for them or they didn't like it. Captain Steel

Until now that is!
OK, I didn't actually hate it...and yes I did root for Vinny during the trial when he started using his smarts and winning the case...that was my favorite part...But mostly the comedy aspects weren't to my liking. The movie seems way more serious than a comedy to me. I consider this more of a crime drama with some funny bits thrown in. I just can't relax and laugh at someone when the tone of the film is so serious and they face being imprisoned for a murder they didn't commit, I don't find that type of story set up funny.

As cute as Marisa Tomei was in this, her character with all the F bombs was off putting to me. Though I have to say she has the world's cutest nose.

So now I seen it and I'm glad I watched it, I did like it, just didn't love it.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
I seen this so long ago that I didn't include it on my ballot BUT it is a fine comedy!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

I liked it! It was a fun watch...Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a very satisfying movie to spend time with. I especially appreciated that it ended so strong. So many movies fizzle out in the last act, but this one had a very clever little scene at the end.

I liked the cast: Michael Caine, that's Sir Michael Caine! He always delivers the goods. He was right at home as a well mannered, impeccably groomed, wealthy con artist. I'd never seen Glenne Headly before, but what a gem she was! She was so good in her comic role that I don't know why she didn't have a bigger career? And I loved the character she did at the very end of the movie too and she did it so well. Then there's Steve Martin...I like Steve Martin, I do. I remember watching him way back in the 1970s on Saturday Night Live...he totally cracked me up every time he hosted that show. I've liked his movies, but here he was a little too Steve Martin and IMO needed to tone it down a notch. But not a deal breaker, just something I noticed.

You know they never make a comedy like this these days. Talk about high production values. I mean it was all shot on location...and such stunning sets! OMG I'll give this high marks just for the sets alone.

Last time I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was on VHS but I do remember liking it. As with many eighties comedies, not enough time to re-watch. However I do have two other Steve Martin films on my list at #7 and #2.

Seen 30/50
Ballot 4/25
11. Home Alone
14. My Cousin Vinny
16. Wayne's World
22. Tropic Thunder

Seen both, although it has been a while. I recall enjoying both films, although I didn't consider either for my ballot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My Cousin Vinny and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels are both quite funny. They both have numerous quotable lines and funny scenes. If you haven't seen it, you should check out Bedtime Story, the original version of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Marlon Brando in the Steve Martin role.

My Cousin Vinny and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels are both quite funny. They both have numerous quotable lines and funny scenes. If you haven't seen it, you should check out Bedtime Story, the original version of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Marlon Brando in the Steve Martin role.

Going to check out Bedtime Story, hadn’t heard of it. I watched The Hustle instead, which speaks for itself.

I'm pretty sure I saw My Cousin Vinny back in the 90s, but I barely remember anything about it.

Same kinda applied to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but I revisited it a couple of years ago and had a lot of fun with it. Here's something I wrote when I saw it last time:

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels follows Lawrence and Freddy Benson (Steve Martin) as they try to outperform each other in their way to con a young woman called Janet (Glenne Headley) into giving them $50,000. A master in the con game, Lawrence initially dismisses Freddy as too vulgar and reckless to excel in the con game, but eventually realizes that there's also "art" in Freddy's way of doing things. The pairing allows for a perfect comedic showdown between both actors, and it's in their banter that the film excels. Caine is perfect in his suave and confident persona, while Martin does best with the more physical and anger-filled bits. Headley is also pretty good as the target.

I wasn't that crazy about the use of Martin's "Ruprecht" persona. It seemed more like an excuse to bring out the excessive physical comedy, rather than relying in the more subtle and smarter. I thought Martin was great, but I preferred seeing him struggling to match Caine than going "all overboard" as Ruprecht. In fact, one of my favorite comedic moments was Martin in jail trying to remember Lawrence's name; a moment so simple in its premise and execution, but in the hands of a gifted comedian like Martin and a patient direction by Frank Oz, it was comedic gold. I couldn't hold my laughter all throughout.
I really don't know why I didn't consider it for my list cause it could've had an outside chance. Well.

Seen: 35/50

My ballot:  

Two more that didn't make the list for me.

My Cousin Vinny was a blast. Whether in the courtroom (no self respecting Southerner uses instant grits) or outside (He has to, by law. You're entitled. It's disclosure), a fine case of characters colliding in an Alabama town and each learning a bit about the other while having a solid blend of laughs throughout. It just missed being an honorable mention.

Haven't seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Probably need to fix that.

I quite like both films, but never considered either. And I have to point out perhaps my favorite small moment in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. "Why is the cork on the fork?"

My Cousin Vinny is a fun movie and if I had rewatched it prior to voting I might have included it. But I didn’t. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

My Cousin Vinny

Vinny Gambini: Ms. Vito, you're supposed to be some kinda expert in automobiles, is that correct?... Is that correct?
[she folds her arms and turns her back on him]
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Would you, please answer the counselor's question?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, I hate him.
Vinny Gambini: Your Honor, may I have permission to treat Ms. Vito as a hostile witness?
Mona Lisa Vito: You think I'm hostile now, wait 'til you see me tonight.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Do you two know each other?
Vinny Gambini: Yeah, she's my fiancée.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Well, that would certainly explain the hostility.

I have gone up and down from love to indifference without rhyme and f@ck reason for this one. Well, except for Marisa Tomei. She rocks. She rolls. She tickles the soul.
Very glad to see a Joe Pesci Feature make it here. Noice.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Lawrence Jamieson: Do you ever have a single thought that originates from above the waist?
Freddy Benson: No!

I watched this again and again for the first fifteen years and sort of drifted off, but I still genuinely love it. Martin and Caine pair off perfectly as an unlikely pair of Confidence Men challenging one another. A lot of great physical comedy, and Caine sails through with Cain's aplomb.
F@ckin Funny Film that was a late cut.

Watched: 39 out of 50 (78.0%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67

Going to check out Bedtime Story, hadn’t heard of it. I watched The Hustle instead, which speaks for itself.
Bedtime Story is a lot of fun...Brando totally steals the show....here's a link to my review of the film.

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...ime-story.html

My Cousin Vinny is enjoyable enough, but I've never been convinced it is a funny movie, or particularly good. But you've got Pesci and Tomei, who both are almost always good and it's an alright way to pass your time if forced to stay conscious and you have nothing else to watch.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a teen favorite. I think it is probably one of Martin's funniest performances, and the whole premise is perfect for its brand of cynical comedy. But I've always assumed it is the kind of thing that aged out and I wouldn't like if I ever watched it again. I was also told repeatedly by family members what a piece of garbage it was, and only assumed I would grow up to be just like them, so have never revisited it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I absolutely love My Cousin Vinny. I've probably watched it over 100 times, and it just gets better every time I watch it. I love both Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei in it, as well as Fred Gwynne as the Judge. It was #1 on my list. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown, but I was hoping that it would have been higher than this.

I watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for one of the Comedy HoFs, and I liked it, but I found it more of an enjoyable movie than a funny movie. I thought it was better than Bedtime Story, (the original version), but it didn't make my list.

My list so far:
-------------------
1) My Cousin Vinny (1992)
4) When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
8) The Producers (1967)

All right! A couple of hard-hitters here.
I've seen My Cousin Vinny more times than I can count. The entire cast is fantastic and Pesci is brilliant in his title role. Although the entire movie is hilarious and the trial's ending is super, this is my single favorite scene, one that had my throat hurting from laughing. Every time I see it, I have to pause it and run it back. Here's Joe with his usual gutter mouth. It ain't PG folks!

Yes! Dirty Rotten Scoundrels made it! I love this movie so much. Michael Caine and Steve Martin together...what inspired casting that was Constantly trying to outdo each other with their scamming, then realize what they really need to do. This was my #18. This is a beautifully funny scene where they're still competing against each other to snow Glenn Headly:

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels