Desktop, with the mobile style
7.41%
4 votes
Mobile device, with the mobile style
11.11%
6 votes
Mobile device, with the desktop style
54 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I see that currently at this moment, 31 users are members, 435 (House of Representatives?) are guests.

I've always wondered about this.. Is it people's aversion to signing up? I'm guessing some are doing research.
Yes, and it holds true on pretty much every forum; only a tiny fraction of visitors ever sign up, a fraction of those ever post, and a fraction of those stick around and post a lot.

I thought you'd be able to tell automatically ie your computer would pick up if someone was using one or the other, or changing?
It does, but a) the user can force one or the other in their profile, if they want, and b) I don't log which it's detecting or anything, so I don't have stats like "76% of this user's visits are detected as mobile." I just have statistics from Google about total visitors, regardless of who they are or whether or not they're logged in.

Depends on which type of traffic. For visits, it's mostly non-regulars, and even non-members. But members rack up far more pageviews, obviously, so I think the majority of impressions are probably still members. Particularly since MoFo is an unusually "sticky site," which is to say the people who use it spend a lot of time on it.
Thanks - so glad you went on to further qualify this bit

I see that currently at this moment, 31 users are members, 435 (House of Representatives?) are guests.

I've always wondered about this.. Is it people's aversion to signing up? I'm guessing some are doing research.
Yes, and it holds true on pretty much every forum; only a tiny fraction of visitors ever sign up, a fraction of those ever post, and a fraction of those stick around and post a lot.
WHY SO COY?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm 50/50. During the day at work I usually have a tab open on my desktop throughout the day. At home or travel, it's all mobile. The only grief I have on mobile is 1) thumbing out replies before getting so deep I realize I should have jumped to my laptop, and 2) not having the format tools or a preview post option in mobile view. I can click advanced and get a preview, but once edited I cannot preview it a second time. So my posts are at times craps-shots on quotes and styling.

I'm 50/50. During the day at work I usually have a tab open on my desktop throughout the day. At home or travel, it's all mobile. The only grief I have on mobile is 1) thumbing out replies before getting so deep I realize I should have jumped to my laptop, and 2) not having the format tools or a preview post option in mobile view. I can click advanced and get a preview, but once edited I cannot preview it a second time. So my posts are at times crap-shoots on quotes and styling.
SAME except when home, am buried under cats and everyone knows they're ****ing fascists so yeah, mobile at home unless it's WINE NIGHT, **** THE CATS! Desktop on a tab at work...

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Please don't do that to your cats. Whether they're drunk or not, it's just unnatural.

No big surprises, though I guess the desktop/desktop percentage is a little higher than expected. Not surprised that nobody's using the mobile style on desktop.

Tagging all the users who use the desktop style on a mobile device ( @ashdoc, @cricket, @Joel, @Mesmerized, @seanc) with a question: do you use the desktop style out of familiarity, or because the mobile style lacks some features? Obvious follow-up: would you use the mobile style if it had more of those features, since it otherwise uses a lot less data and loads much faster? If so, please let me know which features, in particular, would be most important in making the mobile style viable for regular use.

Asking because the mobile style needs some technical improvements and a style refresh, and I'd like to do as much as possible in one swoop.

Oh, and if you're one of the mobile/mobile users, feel free to let me know which features you find yourself missing, too. Sounds like more Post Preview stuff is high on the list, since formatting is always going to be a bit of a pain on mobile.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
When I first came here years ago I used a laptop. Now I'm using a smartphone. I prefer the desktop on my phone because of how the site is arranged in the same way as though I were viewing it on a computer. It's just more familiar to me. I just now switched to the mobile temporarily and it's a bit confusing. It's like a whole different website. The best part for me about viewing the desktop version is that the site is narrow enough so that I don't have to pinch the screen to make it fit on my screen. I hope that helps.

Oh, and if you're one of the mobile/mobile users, feel free to let me know which features you find yourself missing, too. Sounds like more Post Preview stuff is high on the list, since formatting is always going to be a bit of a pain on mobile.
If on mobile and must do something like change profile pic, I have to switch mode to be able to do it, then go back to mobile default.

And yeah, PM previews on mobile/mobile. Only important for gif replies, though.

Oh! @Yoda you also can't quote replies in PM even if you click quote.
Yeah, that was deliberate, since formatting is such a pain already on mobile (which can't really be helped too much), but it's something I'm open to revisiting.

No big surprises, though I guess the desktop/desktop percentage is a little higher than expected. Not surprised that nobody's using the mobile style on desktop.

Tagging all the users who use the desktop style on a mobile device ( @ashdoc, @cricket, @Joel, @Mesmerized, @seanc) with a question: do you use the desktop style out of familiarity, or because the mobile style lacks some features? Obvious follow-up: would you use the mobile style if it had more of those features, since it otherwise uses a lot less data and loads much faster? If so, please let me know which features, in particular, would be most important in making the mobile style viable for regular use.

Asking because the mobile style needs some technical improvements and a style refresh, and I'd like to do as much as possible in one swoop.
I don't have a computer so that's why I use the mobile device, and I just prefer the desktop version. Even if I had a computer, I would still do it the same because it's convenient and easy.