Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I don't hate the man at all, he just doesn't deserve all the acclaim he receives. Most of my criticisms with the film are very valid, as the film is genuinely very flawed and problematic. His movies are very watchable and easy to digest, but that by no means makes them great. My favorite films are ones that can hold up to analysis and evaluation, Nolan films are the exact opposite of that.

Like I said, he's just "ok".
My issue is not so much with the fact that you don't think his movies are all that great, if people dislike, hate them etc. then fair enough, everyone has their own opinion, tastes and expectations when going into a movie.

My comment is more in regards to the constant comments made regarding the 'depth' of Nolan's films. It's factual objective like statements such as 'his films have little intelligence/depth so they can't be great' that annoy me, and I feel sorry for some people who genuinely enjoy and love his films. It's like they are being belittled for enjoying something that you see as something sub-standard to what you consider stronger movies with more intelligence/depth.

What acclaim does he receive? The majority of people that I see hold the Batman films and his other works in such high regard, are ones I would expect. People with certain expectations and cinematic experience they're after, they go into the movie and walk out having enjoyed a good film. It's not like the man has received a ton of Oscars or other critical awards for his films.

Okay they have high rankings on IMDB, but I think that furthers my argument more than working against it. I think it's quite pretentious to state that over one million users who give it an average of 8.6 out of 10 are fundamentally wrong in doing so. The majority of fans clearly got what they wanted and why should the be begrudged of such?

Since I've joined these forums my tastes have expanded massively, for better or worse. There are a ton of directors and hundreds of films I might prefer to watch, but it doesn't sit easy with me when it sounds like people are criticising others for enjoying cinema for different reasons to them. I think Roger Ebert understood this, a man who watched all kinds of cinema and used his rating system to give viewers a better understanding of how much they would enjoy the film rather than ranking them all against each other.

When I started to get into films, Inception and The Dark Knight were films I enjoyed a lot, and I don't think I will ever truly dislike them as far as my tastes expand. I remember watching Memento in the initial months where I branched into new films, and I enjoyed it a lot. If I sat here and dismissed these films just because my tastes have evolved, I would be lying to myself.

The films clearly work for a lot of people, and if they love them, then I say let them. Not everyone analyses every film in the same way, and I think its harsh to apply the same type of in depth approach to a film like TDKR to a film like The Mirror, they are clearly made for two very different audiences. So what if they have little intelligence or depth? If you get enjoyment out of it, who cares at the end of the day?

There's a new Arnold movie and I didn't know about it until now? Shame! Gotta see it ASAP!
it suck terribly ...

it suck terribly ...
There's a new Arnold movie and I didn't know about it until now? Shame! Gotta see it ASAP!
Not new...it's almost 2 years old.
And it doesn't suck, its much better compared to his other recent films. Even without comparing it, it's still an awesome joyride.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Not new...it's almost 2 years old.
And it doesn't suck, its much better compared to his other recent films. Even without comparing it, it's still an awesome joyride.
nothing new with this kind of popcorn flick... always the same stupid ending

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

I expected this to be a classical heist movie and it suprised me! The writing is amazingly clever, there is some humour in the most unexpected places and Al Pacino delivered one of the most impressive individual performances I've ever seen in a film!

It drags out a little bit in the last half an hour, but it's a great movie overall!

7/10

Perfect Blue (1997)

That was quite something!

At some point it was impossible to tell what's really going on, what's the reality, what isn't. I did enjoy it quite a lot, it certainly suceess in making you question what is real. I did my homework and found out that some of the critics did not understand why it was made as an animation film. I personally think animations distract you less from the storyline, while real actors can get all the focus in a way where you have to rewatch the movie to understand the plot, such thing doesn't happen with animation and that's why it was more entretaining and focused. My point of view at least.

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

I didn't feel it was as brilliant as I thought I remembered it, but still an excellent film with many good qualities.

An Angel At My Table
(1990, Australia)
6.5/10

The biographical film about the writer Janet Frame. From her childhood of poverty to her adulthood, misdiagnosed with schizophrenia to her becoming a world known writer.

Locke (2013)

I feel my rating is a touch generous; it's all for Tom Hardy who is one of my favorite actors working today. It may be the worst movie I've seen that I can say contains a brilliant performance. The parts when he is looking at the backseat through the rearview mirror, talking to himself, did not work for me at all. I would only recommend this to fans of Tom Hardy.

Welcome to the human race...
Before Sunrise -

Still a solid film despite it basically being two pretty young people wandering around Vienna having semi-complex discussions about life or whatever and it seems like each time I watch this movie I still kind of balk at the sheer sentimentality on offer but I still enjoy it anyway.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Gone Girl, 2014
Dir: David Fincher

Mysterious, compelling and oh-so-thrilling. Both Nick and Amy (the two main characters) are highly dishonest and unlikable, neither seem to be 100% sane, but that is the attraction of them. The dissection of this troubled, rather masochistic marriage. A marriage between an anti hero and a femme fatale. A marriage in which they fight, clash, but for the oddest of reasons, like a stretched spring, is bound to return to its starting, original form. There is also a slightly unoriginal, but very relevant critique of the American media's obsessions with pretty, white women being subjected to violence and abuse, and the ways it twists stories to please the public. The film is well written, cast and directed, and it is mostly effective, but I would have given it a higher rating if it weren't that the character of Nick did not come off as unlikable as the writer or the director intended him to be. It is clear that Nick and Amy are supposed to be equally as horrible, only in different ways, and that is the deranged seduction of it all. Although I personally didn't root for Nick at the end, there was definitely a sense of bias towards him. Especially because Amy's climactic scene of horror and immorality is a lot more powerful and effective than Nick's. Had Nick's scene been portrayed differently, in a more stirring manner, the film overall would have been elevated.

7.5/10

Nymphomaniac: Vol. I 6/10

Chappie doesn't like the real world

Perfect Blue (1997)

That was quite something!

At some point it was impossible to tell what's really going on, what's the reality, what isn't. I did enjoy it quite a lot, it certainly suceess in making you question what is real. I did my homework and found out that some of the critics did not understand why it was made as an animation film. I personally think animations distract you less from the storyline, while real actors can get all the focus in a way where you have to rewatch the movie to understand the plot, such thing doesn't happen with animation and that's why it was more entretaining and focused. My point of view at least.
Glad you mentioned this film. Hopefully more people will watch it before submitting their animation list. I hope I have room for it on mine because it's completely deserving to be in the top 100.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Glad you mentioned this film. Hopefully more people will watch it before submitting their animation list. I hope I have room for it on mine because it's completely deserving to be in the top 100.

Perfect Blue is on my watchlist for the animation list.

Locke (2013)

I feel my rating is a touch generous; it's all for Tom Hardy who is one of my favorite actors working today. It may be the worst movie I've seen that I can say contains a brilliant performance. The parts when he is looking at the backseat through the rearview mirror, talking to himself, did not work for me at all. I would only recommend this to fans of Tom Hardy.

This movie is incredible !!! slow but so perfect in every point. It's a one-man show about a man who struggle about his job , his personal life and his own nightmare (his father etc). Very well-done and I very like the back-story of the man who get a stranger girl pregnant after cheating with his wife and losing control when he's on his ride to the hospital (for the birth).

for me it's a
+ movie

The Social Network (rewatch)

Just as superb as the first time. The script is amazing, fast-paced, intelligent fun! Great and playful and super well directed and edited. A fast-paced movie with multiple storylines that are actually talking about the same period of time needs good editing - and boy does this have exactly that and more! Acting is great as well, and it is one of my favourite Fincher movies. Defiantly in top 3.

Deliver Us from Evil

So, Sinister happens to be a horror movie that I really love and admire. It had its fair share of stupid jump scares and clichés, BUT what it was aiming for and what no other horror film really tries to do that often, is to DISTURB THE **** OUT OF YOU. Creepy, unsettling and just gets under you skin.

Now, Deliver Us from Evil is by the same director, which is a director I had high hopes for in horror. Still, I went into this with pretty low expectations. And still, it was bad. A story that felt more like a series of individual stories unprofessionally put together and with so many dumb and (as time passed by) annoying jump scares... And those last 20 minutes or so (mainly the exorcism part) felt like a ****ing parody on the genre to me. I was like "are they serious or nah?" What the **** was that???

Anyways, not good, really really disappointed with this one.

Akira (1988)

Entertaining with plenty of action, but it's the first animated movie I've seen in some time, in which I couldn't forget it was animated. I felt like I was watching a cartoon, but at least a good one.

The Social Network (rewatch)

Just as superb as the first time. The script is amazing, fast-paced, intelligent fun! Great and playful and super well directed and edited. A fast-paced movie with multiple storylines that are actually talking about the same period of time needs good editing - and boy does this have exactly that and more! Acting is great as well, and it is one of my favourite Fincher movies. Defiantly in top 3.

Deliver Us from Evil

So, Sinister happens to be a horror movie that I really love and admire. It had its fair share of stupid jump scares and clich�s, BUT what it was aiming for and what no other horror film really tries to do that often, is to DISTURB THE **** OUT OF YOU. Creepy, unsettling and just gets under you skin.

Now, Deliver Us from Evil is by the same director, which is a director I had high hopes for in horror. Still, I went into this with pretty low expectations. And still, it was bad. A story that felt more like a series of individual stories unprofessionally put together and with so many dumb and (as time passed by) annoying jump scares... And those last 20 minutes or so (mainly the exorcism part) felt like a ****ing parody on the genre to me. I was like "are they serious or nah?" What the **** was that???

Anyways, not good, really really disappointed with this one.

wuuuuutttt !! I LOVE Deliver Us From Evil ! it's something cliché but it deliver perfectly and Eric Bana is awesome !